OK, my turn for Bob

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Sabin

Reaction score
Question for Bob-

I have a 2003 Merc 150 XR-6. I changed the impleller and thermostats 2 years ago. Last year I had plenty of water pressure. Today, first time out for the year, I couldnt get any more than 8 lbs of pressure at full throttle. About 6 lbs the rest of the time. I had started it first while still on the trailer. Let it run for about 10 minutes and the water coming out of the "pee" hole was HOT to the touch. It even steamed as it hit the street.

Any thoughts?

Hi Ken;

I'll assume you did not change your set-up at all...right? If not.....change the impeller, therms and poppet valve. ANY time there is a question on water pressure, eliminate the obvious. Since it has been two years...it's time. The "tell-tail" on that series of engine will range from barely a dribble to a scalding hot stream...normal. 8lbs, not normal....15psi minimum at anything over 4500 rpm.....;)

The impeller is 2 years old, and has maybe 5 hours run time, changed the thermostats at the same time. Didnt change the poppett vale (Have no idea what that is !?)

The poppet valve is located on the starboard lower block. It controls water flow OUT of the block. If stuck open {with debris?}, it can and will cause low water pressure. Since your impeller and therms are that fresh, inspect the poppet.

Back