Oil cap leak

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. Green

Reaction score
New member and last year I purchased a used 2000 Nitro 700 Lx, with a 75 Mercury, love the boat.

Recently I,ve noticed when I trim the engine up for a road trip the oil cap is not sealing to prevent oil from dripping out of it.

Do these need to be replaced or are the o rings replacable.

Or could I just go to a hardware store and get a mechanical wing type plumbing plug and put that in it. and use the old plug with the dipstick for checking oil level when I am at the homebase. I did check the reserve and it does not appear split or cracked.

Any feedback appreciatted.

Are you positive the oil is leaking out the cap of the tank..?

Often times with a carbed motor, unburned oil and gas will leak out of the carb throats and into the splashwell when tilting the motor up for transportation. I have a 150XR6 which is carbed, and this occurs all the time, it's not alot, but enough to be noticeable..

My 60 HP Merc drools oil out of the oil tank vent when tilted up, It looks like the cap is leaking but it isn't. Maybe yours is similar??

Michael

My 75hp does the same thing if you fill it up while trimmed down and then tilt it up to travel it will leak out the top and go into the splashwell. I just fill to 3/4 and have no problem.

I found on my 90 that if I tighten the cap to tight, it will leak when tilted full up. I suspect it distorts the filler neck. Just insert the cap, rock it a little to make sure it's all the way down, turn till you feel a little resistance then another 1/2 to 3/4 turn only. No more leaking.

Latest posts

Back