new owner help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Allen2

Reaction score
90 nitro tracker with a 90 johnson 150 gt. just bought a week ago changed fuel added seafoam rebuilt all 3 carbs they were nasty and leaking new champion plugs compression is 90psi on all cylinders new fuel filter changed water pump lower unit oil. timed and adjusted linkage according to the manual got it idling on the lake perfectly. can increase throttle stops about 1200rpm if i increase throttle past that it stumbles boggs etc . Replaced one bad thermstat and power pack no difference. No forward high speeds has high speed in reverse Raised trim and could get 2500 rpm but wouldnt plane out or give me any more rpms something is dropping out or not working correctly under load? please help im a ASE certified master tech(automobiles) im either missing something . this is my first boat.

Optional Information:

Make (of engine): Johnson

Model (of engine): TJ150SLESB

Year: 1990

Checked gas no water contamination looks good. removed pickup tube in tank totally clean. no crud in tank neither. remove fuel tank vent. found little chrome vent had crust and was 90% blocked cleaned and reinstalled. did timing link and sync exactly according to manual. checked fuel pressure it appears i have 2 fuel pumps....combined pressure at idle 1000rpm is about 4-5psi. That a tiny bit high? also checked fule pumps screens totally clean.

So im stumped i can double check all hoses and routing. remove carbs and inspect....again check float levels...

yes the bulb is not hard but not flat, yes I have pumped the bulb while running and it didn't change a thing carbs didn't pick up or flood out. Boat starts the first or second time every time as is. I believe that it is stuck in slow mode some how Put new fuel pumps on last night tested today still bogs down throttle isnt responsive like it should be, hardly any power band. The vro was removed previously. it runs fine, very slow and wont go over 2200rpm front end sticks out of the water and wont trim out eventually after a 1 or 2 minutes running it like that it will trim out a bit and get up to 3000rpm but nothing after that, motor seems to run fine. no leaks on trim unit and tilts fine fluid is full and clean. im not certain its a motor problem possibly a trim issue?

motor= compression is 90 psi on all cylinders. replaced fuel filter and both fuel pumps with new ones. gas is all new. checked pickup in tank and vent screen/lines. rebuilt carbs and set floats to oem manual spec.(my 90 dollar book) checked fuel line routing with manual all ok. replaced plugs and 4 coils. brand new power pack. replace linkage bushing for timing advance. ran seafoam threw gastank and soaked combustion chambers and let soak. link and sync and timing according to manual(tried over and over adjusting throttle cam to see if it makes it better. reset back according to manual. spark is all good. timing is 7 idle and 28full advanced. changed lower unit fluid and old fluid looked ok. prop that was on it is= raker 14 1/2 x 20 also tried 14 1/4 x21 no changes. today took it out wouldnt go above 1200rpm bogging down. yesterday acted as stated above in last post. when motor is trimmed all the way down it almost perfectly horizontal or even with the keel. its odd sometimes runs to 2k rpm and takes 60+ seconds to plane out trimming the motor helps almost none. then sometimes it wont run over 1200rpm and boggs when trying to throttle up slow fast doesnt matter trimming doesnt help. thanks for your help this is really frustrating

"yes the bulb is not hard but not flat"

That statement puts up a red flag to me. Have you changed it?

Hey Scott,

Man, we got a problem. We both have the same member name. Is there anyway you can mix it up a little? Might cause some big confusion. Kind a freaked me out when I saw a post I didn't write. Thought maybe I got a new boat and didn't know it!

Welcome aboard!

Scott Allen the 1st :D

Hey scott.Are you bakeing the carbs over night?Blowing out all the orfaces?I would replace all the full hoses first.This new fuel is deteriating the inside of all fuel lines not rated for ethenal,causeing the hose to flake apart and get into the carbs.Then i would start over on the carbs.Hope this helps.Good luck.

Latest posts

Back