Now I've Done Everything

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Lambeth

Reaction score
Over the past 6 years of being a boat owner, I've done most stupid things at least once (i.e. leaving the plug out, etc.).

While fishing a 3 hour tourney last Tuesday, I did something new. I was a little excited to get to my next spot and left the trolling motor down when I took off. I only went a few feet before the wet ride made me notice. Now the steering is a little tougher and I think the shaft could be a little bent. It's really hard to tell by looking at it; not sure how to tell for sure.

Is it an easy fix to replace the shaft on a Motorguide TM? Where do I find the parts?

If not bent too bad, fold it down into its' Gator Mount on the deck and slowly step on it. Seriously. I've bent them before and set them back doing just that. Worth a try before a couple hundred R&R bill for a new shaft. Good luck! ;)

Been there and done that on several occasions. I remember the first time, thinking to myself - 'where is all that water spray coming from???'. Fortunately though, I didn't bend or break anything.

:p

Tex

Or you can take it off the mount and put it on the "v" of your trailer. Just make sure you line up the high spot on top first.

First and only time my wife rode in my boat.She was complaining she was cold so we went back in.She was real cold after all that water got her.She swore I did it on purpose:cool:

(WOW) what excitement of fishing and being on the water does to our brains, ive done some dumb thing my self had to laugh with you guys on this one.Sorry it will cost a little but also funny.

I wouldn't say "Everything". :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Through all my years on the water, I've only done a few. Mine have included:

1) Not putting the plug in (but I realized it before backing off the trailer.

2) Forgetting to put the engine up before I drove up the ramp (ground my skeg up)

3) Getting too close to another boat that had it's prop out of the water (gouged my fiberglass)

4) Tied up to a dock with a big bolt sticking out the side of it (gouged my fiberglass)

5) Tried to start my engine - wouldn't even crank over. I started trolling back towards the dock. About a half hour into my journey, I looked back to see the engine gearshift in gear. :eek: I walked back, put it in neutral, turned the key, and she cranked right up.

6) Ran up on a big mud flat. Had to dig my boat out. Long day, hard work...

7) Idled over a boulder. Whack! Whack! Whack! Whack! (All four blades torn up pretty bad)

But I've seen some doozies that others have done...

1) A club member backed the trailer into the water, boat started sliding off, so he throws the truck in "park" and jumps out (never made it to park... so the truck followed the trailer...) That was Kerr Reservoir at North Bend. The guys truck was in something like 20 feet of water. He was checking it out on his sonar. :lol:

2) Saw a guy take out a boat on a trailer because he was flying through the parking lot to put up his trailer/truck after he put his boat in. He hit the boat engine so hard with his left side trailer tire, it nocked the boat halfway off the trailer. That was at Yeopim River, NC.

3) Some lady tied her boat loosly to the pier at Chickahominy River and went to park her truck. Her boat started pulling the rope with the strong incoming tide and the next thing you know, her boat is floating down Gordon's Creek. One of our club members took her to her boat.

4) Saw a game warden give out about 100 tickets in a single morning at a Region 7 BASS tournament on the same ramp I just mentioned in #3. People were seeing him writing tickets, but they just kept on doing their thing... "business as usual". The minute they would dunk their boat in the water, he would hand them a ticket for not having their lights on. :eek: One after the other. Some people were even warning the others... they still didn't turn their lights on.

5) A former club member was running his new BassCat around the islands at Northwest River, VA. You kind of "S turn" through them a few times. Well, he started the S, swung back to hard, and beached his boat on the far shore as the rest of us went by. The entire club turned around and came back to make sure he was ok. Only thing hurt was his pride.

6) Same club member in #5 bought 4 rods from me because he broke his. The day of our tournament on South Lake NC, I saw him putting them under his "Rod Savers" (the velcro ones). I barely heard the velcro, so I walked over and asked him if they were still ok. He said they were fine. He exits the launch area canal, hits a big wake from a barge and when he comes down I see two rods fly out of his boat on the left, and two fly out of his boat on the right. :rolleyes:

7) I've actually got a million funny stories about the same club member in #5 and #6... but it would take all night. So best one yet -

He is fishing a cove with docks and he overhead casts his lure. His line goes over one of those wind-activated ducks - the cutout kind with the wings on each side that rotate in the wind. The line gets stuck in the duck wings and he feels it. Natural reaction to a line tug overrides his own eyesight and he "sets the hook" on the duck. He said it sounded like a 12 gauge went off when that rod exploded in his hands. :lol::lol::lol:

Feel better yet? :lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Thanks Carlos! I miss having that guy around. He was a hoot to fish with, and could always be counted on for a good fishing story. So much happened to the poor guy, but he always took it in stride and was able to laugh at himself.

Have you ever fished Perquimmans River in NC? There used to be a HUGE swan in one of the backwaters that would chase people out. This guy didn't notice the swan until it boarded his boat from the transom and ate his lunch from the back deck. We watched the whole thing unfold from a distance, and we were rolling on the deck as he tried to fight the thing off with a fishing rod from the front deck. :lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Well, here's my best one.

Several years ago I qualified for the SC State Federation Championship as a Boater. I went down to Wateree two days early where I would make sure that I pre-fished properly. On the second day, I spent about six hours running the lake and was motoring back to the dock/ramp. Wind was very light, so I simply idled in, took it out of gear and was drifting slowly to the dock.

I got on the bow with the the tie off line in hand and simply was going to step off on the dock and then tie off the boat. Unfortunately, I didn't see the ski boat that had come into the ramp area 'hot' and the ensuing wave. One foot on the dock, one on the boat and a quick decision to make. I dropped the line and shifted to the dock.

There was my Stratos, motor still running, slowl drifting back out into the channel.

Luckily, about 10 minutes later another angler pre-fishing came in and quickly analyzed the situation, coming up to the dock with a big smile. 'You need a ride???'. Got my boat back with little to no problem, but . . . . :p

Funny ending to the story. The next day who do you suppose I drew as my non-boater? That's right, the same guy that gave me the 'lift'.

Tex

Couple other things I've done just this year:

* Took off with the res-q ladder down. Luckily only broke the plastic cap at the end of the ladder

* Couldn't start the motor on Lake St Clair 6 miles from the boat launch. After an hour of trying to figure out what was wrong and wondering how the heck I'm going to get back to the launch, I realized the kill switch was off.

Hopefully I got it all out of my system this year!

Recently, I was having trailer brake problems. I removed each wheel to check the brakes. I had the axle supported on each side by jack stands. I was checking the actuator in the tongue by compressing it inward with a 4x4. And yep, I didn't know my own strenght, pushed the trailer right off the jackstands.

Dennis

I'm just glad I had Eli yesterday afternoon for my latest! We launch at 4:30pm in the midst of the ocean of waves from the cruisers/wakeboard boats..., get on plane and start bouncing and trying to pass a ski boat to get to calmer water ahead and right in front of my eyes 2 of my good rods start bouncing off the side! Turns out i had mid-day at the house (fished the AM with Dan N) and had removed my float-n-fly rod and forgot to re-strap them down, LUCKILY on the 10 min ride to the lake they didn't fall off... Anyway Eli spots the rods first, yells at me, I slow down, and he grabs them and sits back down!

I'd say the funniest I've seen is right out of the "blond in a bayliner" joke! Launch my Nitro by myself, tieing her off at the dock, and a 20+ft Bayliner bowrider comes up taking on water. Guy with his wife and 2 kids says "do you know anything about bilge pumps, because i'm taking on water and my pump isn't working, and I just bought the boat today", Told him I was no electrician, but it took my honestly about 3 seconds more to ask "just out of curiosity, did you put the plug in before you launched?" He responds "what plug?? I just came from the dealer so I don't know what a plug is or looks like?" I tell him "its either a plastic about 1 inch thick screw thing, or a brass plug with threads", he looks in the glove box and says "this thing??" !! LOL I helped him get it back on the trailer, talked him through launching/retrieving/boating 101 while his boat drained, and then told him to go BACK to the dealer and demand a full walk through of the boat and also to take a boating course!!!

I was fishing with my ex son-in-law one Saturday. I caught a nice sac-a-lait and it came towards the boat but got stuck around a stump. I trolled over and calmly reached for the top of the stump to unhook my fish and the stump broke and I did a flip into the water. Luckly it was only 4 feet deep, but it felt like 10 feet. I just stood up and got back into the boat. My ex son-in-law was just laughing his ass off. Oh, by the way, I got my fish.

Barry from Louisiana:D

A few years back I was using the trolling motor on high trying to get across a local lake that has a lot of standing timber when I hit a "stump" in 20ft of water. It was about a foot below the surface and caught the front of my motor perfectly and stopped me cold. I was real close to falling off the front of the boat. My shaft was bent back close to 45 and I had to get towed back in off the trolling motor only lake. Gave me an excuse to get a new trolling motor though.

Saw a guy launching his boat and forgot the plug. When he realized it, lots of water had gotten in so when he tried to rehook and pull out, the weight of it all make his truck burn out on the ramp and he could not get traction....all the time the boat is still taking on water. Finally about 4-5 people who are watching this poor guy slip sliding away (Paul Simon song) all jump in the bed of the truck to help get traction....it worked but just barely. I thought the entire rig and truck was going to go under......

I just replaced mine. All the parts cost $105. It took about 2 hours to complete using hand tools.

Latest posts

Back