No Surprises Here... Obama on guns after the election

• Thread starter Greg Meyer [URL]http://www.sunherald.com/prnewswir
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why gun sales and ammo have been going thru the roof:blink:

He and Biden have never seen a gun ban they didn't like. The only hope for those of us that believe in the 2nd Amendment is the blue dog Democrats in the House that will vote against his Chicago style gun bans.

After reading through that questionaire, I now understand why all politicians are crooks and liars. :eek: I don't think there was anything on there I couldn't answer something too.:angry:

Not to take sides because I could really care less but.....I read the question. I didn't find it offensive or too personal. Basically, if you or family member have a gun, is it registered. Is that not required by law? If a staff member was arrested or detained for something and had a gun that wasn't registered, it would be a big deal, especially with their stance on things. So why not get that out in the open, up front and if they lie, they are held accountable. Seems fair to me.

I personally thought it was fairly innocuous but intrusive. Guns in most states do not require registration. What's the value in registering them anyway? (this is different than a carry permit). Anyone that thinks felons/perps are going to register is really not being rational.

They aren't talking about felons. They are talking about potential appointees of OBama.

I know when I purchased I had to fill out paperwork. I can't remember but I think that was the registration process. I didn't mind that at all. You should have to.

Given his history on private gun ownership it isn't surprising. He and Biden have both voted for outright gun bans (Biden for the assault ban and Barry for handgun bans)which to me isn't "reasonable restrictions" as they said in the campaign. I can guarantee it won't be long and the media will be running specials on the evil guns and how all the "kids" are killing each other with "assault weapons" in order to whip up sentiment for more bans. The 1994 assault ban did absolutely nothing to limit crime but you can bet your last dollar it will come up again. We have a criminal problem in this country that can't be solved with useless gun bans and registration schemes. It's easier to blame a gun than the lowlifes of society that don't value life and choose to sell dope for a living. I personally don't give a rat's behind if some dope dealer kills another dealer. If you choose that occupation than that is the risk.

Terri, I think you filled out background check paperwork (This is probably a good thing from a store's perspective in case someone sues them). So, when my dad passed away, I guess someone wants me to register my dad's bird gun? My point was speaking to the uselessness of registration, identifying law abiding citizens' guns. I was not criticising Obama's selection process of his pending crew. I guess he can appoint about anyone he wants to. My phone hasn't rung just yet.

Teri, please re-read your last post."They aren't talking felons, potential Barack appointees." Pretty much says it all, LOL. I am totally against any bans on guns. Some of my guns are registered, son are not. I have a few older guns, that were never registered. Like others have said, make laws and stick to them for the felons. Stop making law abiding citizens felons. Doctors kill more people each year by accident than guns do.

Bubby:)

I have not owned or shot a weapon, like I have said before, since 1969.. Now I am so

G.D'd Scared that I haven't bought a few before now that I don't know what to do. I understand from on-line research that in my state, Maryland right now, the three day waiting list for background checks is being suspended because of the serious backup.

It's also my understanding from what I see on-line, that the Maryland State Police

CAN'T suspend the waiting period according to the Maryland Supreme Court. Firearm Dealers 'HAVE' to release whatever it is that you bought to you, after the three day waiting period time has run out, with or without a MD State Police Certificate Stamp.

Why do they want you to register your firearms anyway? Could it possibly be because they would then have they ability to come to your home and TAKE whatever weapon you did already have? Along with whatever else you may own that they can spot while they are there? That's what I believe:angry:

I don't have very much money to play with but I am in the process of looking into purchasing a couple of newer firearms to protect myself and my family in case it's needed.

Uncle Billy

Uncle Billy, you hit the nail on the head. If they can get them registered, that one giant step toward taking them from you. I can promise you this, if you put any # of guns in a room they won't hurt anyone unless someone pulls the trigger. The wording in his questionnair stats if the gun has caused any harm or other damage. I think they also should have a waiting period for buying cars, as long as Kennedy can drive. Listen, I know the car thing don't make sense. Neither does the gun thing. I think it is sick to believe you should take away guns from law abiding people so the trash cannot steal them. I also believe it it stupid to think it will cut down on crime. They tried it with alchol, had to make it legal. If they want to stop crime, work harder on drugs. If a person has a 1 page rap sheet, not 3 or 5( which is sicking) put him, her in jail for life. It bothers me to believe it is better to get rid of the dog because he keeps getting out, instead of fixing the fence.

Bubby:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I find BHO's questionnaire extremely offensive but, didn't expect anything different. He has been avidly anti-gun (2ND Amendment), and still will be. And anyone wanting to work in his administration is likely in line with his stance on that. Since I wouldn't take a position from him for ANY amount of money, that part won't affect me. What would affect me is when he and the liberal, anti-gun, mass media in conjunction with the 'perfect storm' of Senate and House control headed by Pelosi/Reid, start on criminalizing all of us!

If one believes in the Constitution of the USA, it would be nice to believe in the entire thing! It really isn't a 'pick and choose' which parts you care to adhere to. I know for a fact that the Oath of Office includes the phrase, "uphold the United States Constitution."

As a side note: it is legal in many states (mine included), to make a (legal) purchase of a firearm and not have to register it. And NO Teri, you should not have to register all purchases!

I just double checked our laws, and there are no permitting requirements in TN.

What cracks me up the most....

Obama can't pass his own questionaire! :wacko: :lol: :blink:

I don't fault the idea behind the questionaire. My president, whomever that may be ( :( ),should have people of trust and like-mindedness on his staff. However, he should set the benchmark for qualifications, not be the antithesis. Read through it and honestly ask yourself if the POTUS elect could qualify for his own cabinet. A sign of things to come??? :wacko:

My brother works in National Security and counter-terrorism....he told me Obama, given his background, admitted drug use, and known former associates, wouldn't be given the most basic security clearance....infact he couldn't pass back ground checks for ANY kind of law enforcement job...not even a park ranger!!.....yet now,..he has to be clued in on the Nations most secret and confidential intel. THAT doesn't sit well with any of the CIA,NSA,FBI and ATF folks....not to mention our Military's top leadership!! Just my opinion, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bunch of stuff he's NOT told, even when he IS PROTUS, just because he's such a HIGH risk himself!!...."plausible denial" will be used extensively with HIM in the WH!! Ya don't put a coyote in charge of gaurding the chicken coop!!

Berry, I didn't purchase mine in TN.

All others on this post....I don't think there should be a ban on guns but I also don't think it was out of line to have that on an employment questionnaire. My opinion and you obviously didn't like it. Fine with me.

Look I voted for Bush and look what that got me. This time I didn't like either candidate but what's done is done. I have bigger worries than whether I have to register a firearm. And the some of the very same people on this post are worried about losing their jobs, the economy, gas prices over $4. I've seen all your posts. Who got you there? Come on people. US needs change and you know it. Is Obama it? I don't know but I sure hope someone turns us around. 90% in favor of Bush was probably not going to get it done. If you don't have a job, you aren't going to be out buying guns anyway.

I am sure you are going to burn up your fingers responding. Go ahead. That's what makes this a great nation.

Registration will be the least of our worries. Obama wants a complete ban on the ownership of any rifle, pistol or shotgun that is a "semi-automatic". He would prefer a total ban. The mention of the questionaire is in regard to the "far-out" idea of asking about gun ownership by family members.

"59. Do you or any member of your ijmmediate family own a gun?"

And, what does it have to do with employment. Do you own a ___________ (fill in the blank for any item which may be legally owned)? What is so "special" about owning a firearm if that ownership is legal. Why is that a concern of an employer? Why ask about guns and not ask about boats, bicycles, snow skis, fishing rods, baseball gloves, hockey sticks, ice skates, volleyballs, or any other item of sporting goods>

Right from Obama's Transition Website:

"Address Gun Violence in Cities: Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent. "

Read between the lines.... It is the old Clinton era agenda...

You know what's amazing to me? I kinda grew up in the country but lived only three miles from the capital of Maryland, Annapolis. I grew up and still live on South River which is about three miles south of Annapolis. When I was in the fifth grade at Edgewater Elementary School (a stones throw from where I now live) and was what, maybe 11 years old? Anyway, for one of the Show & Tell days I actually took to school what my brother in law called a Kentucky long rifle. That was 49 years ago and I don't remember a lot but I think it was a 50cal. muzzle loader and was a lot taller than me. I also had a paper of history on this firearm that my brother in law helped me prepare. So, one morning I carried a rifle and my books and carried them to the bus stop. When the bus came there wasn't any problem at all. The driver was a tobacco farmer who I worked for in the summer and though there was two people already sitting in the front seat, he made them move so I could sit there with that long gun rifle.

When the bus arrived at school I carried the gun inside where the teacher placed that, a powder horn, a ball and paper leather bag in one of the corners. When it was my time for show and tell I got the rifle and showed and talked about it much to the my fellow students delight and then it all went back in the corner. When the and of day bell rang I got my stuff, got back on the bus and went home. There was not ONE thing said against what was going on. No hysterical screaming or cries to strengthen our laws before someone got hurt. As my house was the farthest from the bus stop, Sandy (my first dog) and I got stopped by a lot of mother's asking how the show in tell went? The Mother's were home to watch over all of us!!

The only reason that I can think of as to why I was allowed to take that to school is that all of us, even at 11 years old had come into contact with firearms, usually rifles.

22's, 30.06's, shotguns and over and unders, and were taught how to use them and how we should respect them. These days there isn't anyone to show how all of this is supposed to be done, especially today's father's to their boys! We also had God in our schools and said the Lord's Prayer every morning along with the Pledge of Allegiance. We gave absolutely no thought of hurting or challenging our teachers unlike today. We also had pretty high standards before we could graduate in 1966 and that changes in 1967. Classes are now taught down to the slowest students in a class! Virtually all of the guys I grew up with were Junior members of the Volunteer Fire Dept until they were old enough to be full fledged members. They did not question their duty. We went to war when our country asked us to and didn't even think of running off to Canada. Now, mainly because of Jimmy Carter, nobody will have to go if called and will have precedence not too.

I am so sorry for the rant but I'm scared and am also tired of all this Constitution talk that it's a "living Document" and should be reviewed yearly or so. It is NOT a living document and was not made to be by our forefather's who wrote the Constitution and then suffered inordinantly because of it.

I am not going to get into a constitutional argument here, it's just not worth it and it's unwinnable. I do know that I would give up my computer, and all of my remotes, and have to get up to change channels if I could time travel back into the fifties.

Now, before anyone jumps on me about health care in those days, or segregation, or the House of Un-American activities I DON'T CARE!!!! Besides, as for the Un-American Activities crap, the releasing of Soviet information after the cold war (decidedly won by President Ronald Reagan) proved that those who were accused as witch hunters were right all along.

I remember so well what the one Democrat I semi-liked had to say when he addressed the

"Don't ask what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country"!!

That doesn't even sound like a democrat anymore who would change the words to something like, 'don't ask what you can do for your country but please do look up all of the gifts and monetary awards we may have and ask for them, they're yours you know and we'll take care of you with all of the money from the middle class who works every day..

That's it for me. And I really DID hold a lot of what I really wanted to say inside! especially to people who keep blaming President Bush for every little problem there is especially when it was a Democratic Congress that voted for, passed and approved everything that Bush is now being blamed for! Do some research on just who voted for the Iraqi Way and is now turning their backs on what was what.

Sorry for the Book I just wrote here..:rolleyes: I just had to get some of this off my back.:angry::cool:

Uncle Billy

Uncle Billy,

Thank you for saying it! I too grew up in that era. I wholeheartedly agree with all you posted. Especially the part about blaming everything on GW Bush! God help us.

Well said Uncle Billy. I don't like given up one right, to get another. Why can't people stand on their own 2 feet, instead of believing the goverment is going to help them. Take a good look at what is going on, been going downhill for thirty + years. Demoncrats and Republicans have been in office. We have given them to much power. They are supposed to serve the people, not be served.

Bubby

All others on this post....I don't think there should be a ban on guns but I also don't think it was out of line to have that on an employment questionnaire.

FWIW - Teri - I agree with you wholeheartedly. Between the ACLU and some other ambulance-chasing opportunity seekers, employment questionaires have been watered down to little more than what's on the front of an envelope. Sadly, most employers really don't know what they're getting until well after the expensive hiring/training/benefit-implementation process. Like yours, I'm sure my viewpoint is probably not the mainstream, but it's mine derived from my experiences, so, what-ever..... :rolleyes: ;)

Billy - Like you, I had a similar grade school experience. For my sixth grade history project, I took my Dad's 1862 Springfield paper cartridge loading rifle. (.54 cal) It was commonly used by the Confederate Cavalry during the War of North....er...uhh... Civil War. :lol: It was not a big deal taking it back and forth to school. (No bus, just walked down the road.) Many other kids had done the same with other, nowadays deemed, "violent weapons" and just about everybody carried a pocket knife. I also grew up out in the "stix" as we'd say, but I'm about 20 years younger. I think the past two decades have seen an incredible moral, social and overall ethical decline. IMHO :(

Well, I've pretty much decided to purchase at least one new personal protection weapon. So, I've been doing some research (and getting some great tips/pointers here) and have been looking.

Trying to do this in a calm and logical fashion. Visited a local indoor range (and shop) yesterday. Very impressed. Maximum safety stressed and checked during the whole process of anyone coming in to shoot. Range is not huge, but has about 10-12 lanes. Also has Conceal Weapon Classes every other Saturday. During the week, has several basic and advanced handgun training for a reasonable price.

One thing I like is the range of 'rental guns' that they have (handguns primarly) that you can rent/use on the range. They also have a 'try it' program (5 rounds), so that you can try different makes/models to see what suits you.

Very busy. Had one full family in the shop when I got there. Husband, wife and 2 kids (son and daughter - both around 10-12 years old). All had their safety equipment, and he stepped through standard procedures.

Later in the day, was at Academy, and they were standing 3-4 deep at the gun counter, waiting to buy. It's a zoo out there.

I will probably go back to the range/shop during the week (during the day also), so that I can talk through and make decisions. Looking at a 9mm S&W Sigma right now. Decently priced; good reviews; and they have the $50.00 rebate PLUS two (2) add'l magazines through the end of the year.

Tex

Uncle Billy, didn't mean to fire you up. I am a very educated, hard working, middle class, individual. To think I solely blame George Bush is just silly. I don't believe in handing out my hard earned money to some joker that is too lazy to get off his/her own ars to get a job. My point was, we need change in the US. I don't think Obama has the experience to be where he is BUT he's there. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes for anything with the state of the world. Will I like everything he stands for....NO. But, our country needs help and I am not going to judge him or a questionnaire he put out before he even takes office. I hope he is successful. We need him to be successful and I can't criticize him until he's had some time in office.

I hate political discussions. I shouldn't have even replied. So peace out!

Tex - That Sigma looks like a good, dependable full frame. My buddy loves his and they're priced right. (I'm a Berretta man for my 9mm's. :rolleyes: :lol: ) If you'd like something more inconspicuous for your CCW, see if your range rents a Taurus Judge. Very popular with court officers and available single or double action. I bought a .45/410 five shot dbl. action and have found it to be my favorite small personal carry. It's almost identical in size to a .38 special. The .410 with #4 will spread the target at 25'. A .45 out of the snub will drop an attacking rhino! :lol: For the $500 range it's a great gun.

no worries here, all my gins(I own 7) aren't registered, they are all within the family, hand me downs, and an 1880 44-40 rifle my great granfather owned, now mine, nothing is registered, hope they don't go house to house searchin

One thing is for certain, we're in for 4 years of "change". I can only imagine the "change" we are in for with his judicial picks. Or the "change" we are in for considering his beliefs in taxation. Yep, we are going to get some "change" alright. Thanks to all in advance for voting in "change". :blink:

Here's a little prediction from little ol me. Just like Bush didn't get us in this mess all alone (C'mon Teri, you know the POTUS is for the most part, a gun loaded with blanks) Obama won't be able to get any real change accomplished. That's the propaganda that got him elected, not the reality. He has already made statements that have "hedged his bet" by saying "it will take time", "might not happen in 1 term", yada, yada. Don't get me wrong, now that he is in, I want to see some of the change he has promised. I want the economy to improve and everybody's standard of living to increase but I predict it ain't gonna happen. I will say that he can exert some influence for the future direction of the country by his Supreme Court appointments amoung others. I hope I'm wrong.

TOXIC

Teri...your last reply was spot on,,,probably exactly like 99% of the population feels!! I respect the office of the President,.....but I surely don't have to respect the person IN the office...I'll give Obama a chance.....WTF...we don't have any choice....we're stuck with him for 4 years. Only time will tell....and Toxic's comment about his supreme court justice picks will tell it all!! That will have more of an impact on the long-term affects of his Presidency than his "term(s)". Only time will tell......I just hope we, as a nation for ONCE learn from our mistakes, and eventually act to avoid them again!!....man I get tired of some of the chit we do over and over....except stickin' pig smallies!!:rolleyes:

The partisan bickering has already begun. He will find out the cold and hard truth, that even though he is now in Charge of the Executive Branch, he is not in Charge of the Congress or the Courts.

Hopefully, most (if any) of the Supreme Court appointments he will have to make, are replacing some of the liberals that are already there. Just hoping, that the conservatives on the court remain, till someone else is elected POTUS.

As Mac has said, I want him to do a good job. However, it certainly looks as though this thing hasn't bottomed out as yet, and that is going to have to happen - before we settle in and then seem some progress. The Dem's and the media have spent the better part of this year convincing everyone that the economy is in the trash. Finally came true. Consumer Confidence is a tricky thing. You tell the consumers long enough, that they are in bad shape, and they start believing it. Don't get me wrong, some of the credit problems that they found and trying to fix are certainly real (or appear to be), but now that we are in the tank, too many companies are joining the bandwagon and taking losses with cutbacks and layoffs - that we all now just consider to be 'standard practice'.

If Citibank would have announced 53,000 layoffs just 6 months ago, it would be all that was talked about for weeks. Their stock would have plummented, and they would be ripe for a re-org or takeover (might be anyway). It's hardly a story now. Just another 'tick' in the timeline.

Tex

Going back to the first post, is the question even legal? If the question was ask to you would you know? If I even limit the question to my Mother, Father, Brother and Sister I don't know for sure?

I know I am not even allowed to ask, age, race, sex or religion on a job application.

BF

Uncle Billy, didn't mean to fire you up. I am a very educated, hard working, middle class, individual.

Teri...your last reply was spot on

Mac, Teri's last post was not 'spot on' because I don't have a clue as to why she even thought I was speaking to her???:huh: So, a personal reply to me was totally unnecessary and uncalled for.

So again, maybe you want to tell me just why you thought I was singleing you out? I wasn't going to answer this either but just couldn't leave it. I hope, for the sake of the Country, he does a great job to. But to say not to judge him before he enters office is silly. Before the election is exactly the time to queston everything about him.

That's all for me on this. I stand behind everything I said in that post.

Uncle Billy

And I really DID hold a lot of what I really wanted to say inside! especially to people who keep blaming President Bush for every little problem there is especially when it was a Democratic Congress that voted for, passed and approved everything that Bush is now being blamed for!

Uncle Billy, your quote above is why I thought you were talking to me because I said...

Look I voted for Bush and look what that got me.

I think you are being a bit defensive. My last post was not mean or uncalled for in any way. I even apologized to you for getting you "fired up". The rest wasn't directed at you, just simply participating in the discussion. Do with it as you wish.

Unca Billy,.....I was referring to Teri's comment about giving Obama a chance....even though he's unqualified (in a LOT of people's opinion) anyway. We're stuck with him for 4 years........we gotta deal with it.

I never thought her post was directed at you,....and I certainly didn't mean for my reply to insult you either....my apologies if it did. I just agreed with her opinion of Obama and the direction we're headed........nothing directed at you by any means!!

Carry on!!;)

Mac

Latest posts

Back