NITRO Z7

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Wagner

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I reside in Canandaigua, New York, and do all my bass fishing on either Canandaigua Lake, Honeoye Lake or Sodus Bay (Lake Ontario). I am considering purchasing a Nitro Z7 bass boat which is just under 19

Well, how experienced are you? 17 feet is doable in rough water but 3 footers are tough for anything if not driven right. You do know that 3 footers are actually 6 foot tall from the bottom of the trough correct? Common misconception of wave height. But I digress. I know your northern waters get rough and depending on your level of driving expertise, will depend on what you can handle. What do you run now and what is the worst you have been out in?

TOXIC

I have a 2008 Z7 and to answer your question yes it will take 3' waves, i have done bigger in my mine on Champlain and Winni many times. It wont be the most comfortable or driest ride in waves liek that but it will do it if you have enough experience with driving boats in rough water.

I will say that bigger is better if you plan to be boating in big waves a lot a Z8 or Z9 might be a better choice for you.

Tox the Z7 is 18'7" not 17'...

jim,

toxic was just useing 17ft as an example that it's entierly dependent on how much boating experiance you have as to how big of waves a boat can handle.

i.e. a bad operator cant run a twenty ft rig in threes while a great operator can run a 17ft in threes.

Thanks for the info. The roughest conditions I have encountered has been on Canandaigua Lake when the waves were approx 3'. My current boat is a 17' MFG Deep V which is fitted with a 75 HP Mercury. I have never rode in a bass boat, more less driven one, thus my concern.

And concerned you should be. As I suspected, swapping over from a deep V to a pad boat in big water with no seat time, is very dangerous. Everybody has to start somewhere but on big water it is more important to take it slow. The Z7 will handle rougher water than you want to be out in but until you get the seat time to feel safe, and know both your boats and your own limitations, you better watch the weather and do not take it out if in doubt. Big water = big boats (as a rule) some like a 19 footer to be able to "drive" the rough stuff better.

TOXIC

Toxic,

Thanks for "calling a spade, a spade" and telling it like it is. Now I am confident the Z7 can handle the task as soon as its "Captain" is able to.

I have a Z7; until now I have always fished out of deep v

Thanks for jumping in Chaz, I am digesting all the info I am receiving. I'm very appreciative of all who are willing to give their advice and actual experiences.

Back in May we got hung up in some weather on Sam Rayburn, I did not stop to measure the rollers, but when we were in the bottom, I could not see over the next one. Probably 4 foot range, nasty. We got a little(lot)wet in my Z7, but after having it for over 2 years, I never felt uncomfortable, scared to death, but not uncomfortable! Took my time and got back to the ramp safely.

Thanks E5Zero, thats another checkmark on the positive side. Were you being pushed by a 150 Optimax?

Al, I have a 175 Pro XS on mine. Love it! Also added the Hotfoot and blinker trim.

Latest posts

Back