Nitro Z7 VS Ranger Z118

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Wagner

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you have knowledge about the Ranger Z118. It is initially priced considerably higher than the Nitro Z7, but it comes with a lot more things standard, and the price of the Z7 quickly approaches that of the Z118 after adding on all the options. Other than cost, do you know of any advantages or disadvantages of one of these compared to the other? Thanks.

Can't really say as I have not been in the Ranger. I will say that price is a major player for me and even after adding options I doubt you are too close to the Ranger. Both are sweet boats and there is nothing wrong with either. I would say try to get test rides/drives in both and make the choice that YOU like best. Good luck and congrats....both are awesome

Being a former owner of a Nitro I can say I liked mine, but the Ranger will have far better resale if you ever plan to get rid of it.

Ranger and the resale pitch line makes me laugh. Of course if you pay 10-15k more for the boat it will be worth more when you go to sell it. % wise not much difference in resale.

In no way am I bashing Ranger because I love Ranger boats and think they make a great product but the resale angle is just way over played.

KLSU is exactly right.......I also don't buy boats with plans of having to sell them or worrying about selling it.

Thanks, guys. I also am planning to keep a boat for a very long time so resale is not a major factor in my mind. What I'm most concerned about, is which boat will be in the best condition years down the road. I've been in Z7's and I absolutely love everything about them, from the huge front deck to the gel coat finish. What I wonder though, is the "stuff inside" that you don't see the same quality on both boats, or will one show more deterioration years down the road? I could get the Z118 with exactly the same options as the Z7 for about 4K more. That's a lot more money now, but if I end up having to spend more money 10 or 15 years from now restoring things on the Z7, that could quickly make up for the difference.

Mike,

I have a 97 884 Savage and I will match its condition with any boat out there. If you take care of your equipment it will look and run great many years down the road. So your question about which boat will be in the best condition years down the road will be your choice. Either boat will be great. Take them for a test drive and see which one flips your trigger. Check out the storage compartments. Then see which dealer will give you the best deal i,e electronic upgrades and or a boat cover.

Have a great season on the water and post some pics of the new toy..

Max

Thanks, Max. You make a great point- the condition of a boat is much more dependent on how the owner cares for it, rather than the brand. I'm glad to hear your Savage is in great condition.

Mike

Absolutely....I don't care what you buy.....if you take care of it, it will stay nice. Just got to be anal about it and particular.

I've owned Ranger and recently purchased a Nitro Z-7. The Nitro with all the extra's doesn't come close to the price of the Ranger. We speak in terms of $36K to $47K, yes 47K with all the extras on the Ranger. Keep in mind Ranger is not the Ranger of 15 years ago. No comparison. Back to the point. If you have the money go for the 118 because it will be easier to sale later. However keep this in mind. The amount of the loss is about the same at the end. The Ranger 7 years from now will bring about 30K if maintiained well. The Nitro will hit around 19 to 20 if equal care. The loss is about the same. One important thing. The 118 is rated for 150 HP max. The Nitro is 175 rated which brings the value back up if equiped accordingly. My opinion, owning both, you cant lose either way and the Nitro is absolutely tops. Way more than I expected. Why did I do Nitro instead of 118. Sponsorship money was involved. Good luck on your purchase.

Latest posts

Back