Nitro trailer issues

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Baranuk

Reaction score
I just bought a used 2000 185 Sport. I seem to have problems with getting it on the trailer correctly. The bow wants to go under the rubber roller next to the winch. This is my first boat so I do not need any assistance looking like a rookie at the boat launch. I thought getting a bigger drop on my hitch would help but it only did a little bit. Any ideas?

Try it a little "drier". If the ramp angle is too sharp, and the trailer too deep, you'll spear the winch post under the roller or go over it. Ideally, you want the boat to "land" about in the middle of the trailer, then you can slowly power up slightly, until the boat "sets" in on the bunks. Once the winch hook is snapped on, you can at that point back it in a LITTLE deeper SLOWLY, to allow you to winch it up to the stop. I'd like to tell you to power it up, but too many ramps are getting ruined from this.....not to mention it does require some time to aquire the necessary skills...;)

I had the same problem when I bought my first boat. My solution was practice. I would pick a day that the lake or river was not busy or maybe a day with a bad forecast. There is nothing more frustrating at the ramp than a bunch of people staring while you are loading or launching. Bob has the perfect advice, and the key word is slowly. Hitting the trailer too fast and the bow wont rise so it can sit down on the roller. It will get easier and soon you will be in and out in minutes.

Eric

Back the trailer in the water so that the wheel fenders are out of the water a couple inches. Then ease the boat onto it so that the boat settles onto the bunks evenly ,then power up to the winch post. I think the whole deal is not to back you trailer in to deep. The boat can float to much and it will not settle on the bunks right. Hope this will help.

Can you call the previous owner and ask him:

1. How far in the water did he put the trailer to load the boat? and

2. Where did he have the engine trimmed? The previous owner will be your best source of information on a used boat. Good Luck.

I have the same boat. I back the trailer in the water enough to wet the bunks, then pull back out until the top third of the wheels are out of the water. Trim the motor up between 1/4 and 1/2 on the trim gauge if it works. Settle the boat on the bunks then power it up on top of the roller.

Seat time will fix your problem and every boat loads differently and requires the bunks to be at a different depth. Add in the angle of the ramp and you have to adjust again. Add in current or wind and you have to adjust again. What I am saying is that there is no set answer for your situation and you are going to have to experiment. When I first started out I always erred on the side of not having the trailer in far enough and could always back down a little more. Power loading while not allowed at a lot of ramps is still the easiest because as you make contact with the bunks and you give the motor a little gas the nose will go up allowing a greater margin of error on the depth of the trailer plus the bunks will be more of a guide than when float loading and they have to be in deeper. My 929 flat out refused to float load and always took me a lot longer at the ramp if power loading was not allowed. Even if power loading is not allowed once you get it figured out it is just a matter of "coasting" to the trailer with a bit more speed but be advised, you calculate wrong and you can damage your boat or trailer. Go early or stay late and experiment.

TOXIC

Matt,

I back my trailer in till about 6 inches of my middle bunks are sticking out of the water{water is just under the top of my fenders) I idle up on my trailer craw over the fron hook my strap and about 3-4 cranks I'm up on my boat eye nice and snug.

I'm a newbie too and thats how I learned to do it and it works flawlessly.

First time I went by myself I rammed under the bow eye to and damn near killed my boat lol. every body has to learn. Hope this helps.

Ed

All this wet bunks and expose fenders stuff is good information. However, the algebra also includes the angle of the ramp. Practice is a good idea, but practice making perfect on one ramp could be a total cockup on another.

Not a dumb question at all and a lot do it that way. Personally, I have broken wench straps and believe it or not sometimes the wench is just not strong enough to pull it up depending on the angle of the ramp and the weight of the boat. My 929 was heeavy. Lastly, depending on the ramp and your type of trailer, you have to get out of the boat to wench it up. That means getting wet most of the time. Or you stand on your trailer and have a good chance of busting your arse if you slip off. When you power or coast up to the stop you just lean over the bow and hook the strap.

TOXIC

I, like Toxic, have seen a few guys bust winch straps.....but last summer witnessed a very impatient angler bust the bow eye off his glass rig by winching the last foot or so by hand...it was ugly....:eek:

Eric

If your winch isnt strong enought to winch your boat on you need a new winch.

Now snapping a strap is no big deal....the last few inches of teh strap are the weakest and is exposed to all kinds of weather.

Just remember that if you powerload it, dont do it in Michigan. It is illegal.

Latest posts

Back