Nitro Opinions??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Jackson

Reaction score
Trep -- 896 was my first choice but it is too long to fit in garage....

So, all you Avalanche lovers convince me why I should stay with tin??? (I currently fish a PT175 w/75 Merc)

Stress cracks and gelcoat issues are the two most aggravating problems confronting a fiberglass boat owner. When they complain, its usually one of those two issues.

If you scratch an Av, you re-paint it. If you (God forbid) crack it, you get it welded.

It will be lighter, so you'll get more performance out of a given horsepower outboard. The ride will be comparable to a glass boat. It looks so good it fools glass owners into thinking it IS glass. The beam on that boat makes it very stable. A 175 on an Avalanche will make that boat fly.

Jim

I would but the 882 before the av. Its the same size, cheaper with a 150 on it and faster too.

If you buy the Avalanche, women will want you & men will want to be you!

Rich D

A buddy and I were fishing a tournament one weekend, and crossed an avalanche on the water. I told him that it was aluminum and he didn't believe me. I argued with him for at least 10 minutes. As it turns out the guys in the avalanche were camped across from us. I broched the subject again and when he started arguing with me I pointed at it (he hadn't noticed it across the road), and said there it is go find out for yourself. It was funny to someone who hates to be wrong findout that they were wrong. Anyway the point of the story is: The avalanche is a very good looking boat with all of the advantages of the tin boat.

Wolf

i like the tin boats and the glass boats but there sure seems to be a lot "Glass Envy" on this board.

jd

OK First item on the List - you'll be the ONLY one in your lake with one!!! Second - EVERYONE will want to Look and Touch it and ASK you all about it, be the CENTER of Attention!!! Third - Its TIN, 'Nuff said!! LOL

Jim - Seriously i've not driven in any of the boats your looking at so i'm a non-participant in your decision. I'd suggest gettin a ride in each one (most of the folks on this site will take your for a ride!!) and see which one you like!

Heck, get the Avalanche and then pay Mac to do a COOL toon on it!!! MUCH easier then embedding it in the Gel coat!!

How small is your garage? an 896 will fit in a 20 x 20 space easily, well maybe not easy but it will fit. I can vouch for that. Never owned a tin boat yet, but maybe one day.

I can absolutly say with out question, if it came to choosen between glass or another Avalanche, I would choose the Avalanche. No comparison to the 882 since the boat is wider and higher than the 882 but still runs the same speeds with a 150. The new one's though come with one large livewell, I would make them put in the two seperate livewells that came with the orignal Avalanche.

Jim, look at the avalanche just bought one. We went from a 185 to the avalanche and there is no comparison just a great boat that fits in the garage. And get the 150 opti if you can swing it.

BMCD -- 3 car garage. 2 deepest stalls are 22'11". My first choice would be an 898 but the nitro site lists length on the trailer without transom saver as 23'6". the 929 lists at 23'6" and the avalanche at 23'2"... The 882 is listed at 22'2" while the 901 and 911 are listed at 22'8"... If the published numbers are correct, then I am limited to the 882 and the 901. (The 911 is a bit too high for my budget)...

Are you factoring in the swing away tongue on the trailer? That should be good for 1 1/2 to 2 feet right? I see on the Nitro website that the 898 package length is 23'6" without the transom saver so you may make it if you swing away that tongue. I know because I need to do use the swing away tongue with my 882 in my garage.

Just a thought.

-Gregg

Thanks, Greg... I've been "assuming" the numbers were with the tongue swung (tongue swang???)... I just measured the PT 175 with the tongue hinged out of the way. It measures 19' 3" without transom saver and tongue out of the way. The tracker web site says 21' 1" so they must not be including the swing tongue in the measurement. I think you just found the extra inches I've been missing. Perhaps it's time to take the tape measure and visit the boat store. That 898 with a 200 OPTI would look mighty good in my garage!!! Thanks for the help, guys!!!

I dont know if this will be read but here goes anyway

my brother has a avalanche, I have a 901 they are both in my opinion great boats, when Im on his deck it basically feels like im on mine. my boat is faster due to the fact he is running a 115 4 stroke, I run a 200 efi. his boat runs araound 48-49 depending on the wind but he does plane out alittle faster than I do. the only thing he wishes is he would of went with the 150 and I agree. I love my 901 and he loves his ave, I like glass he likes his glass want a be but it does handle ruffer water almost as good as the 901 but we fish smaller lakes and the ohio river most of the time. If you fish large bodies of water I would probably go with the 901 due to the fact the ride is a little drier and the cost will almost be the same with the 175 on the ave to the 200 on the 901, plus you get more features on the 901.

But if you like to get really shallow go with the ave it does not draft as much water, which will help ya when on the trolling motor, the only thing I have missed from my old hydrosport. a couple of inches does make a difference when the water is low I have found.

Now that is the best comparison/advice I have seen.

Very fair and almost unbiased....(glass want a be)

The tin rig has the advantage where it really counts. LOL

Wolf

agree with wolf. what i'm curious about is how the avalanche handles the wind while on the trolling motor vs a glass boat. i would think that the more boat out of the water, the more the wind would be able to push it.

jd

the wind, well I havnt noticed much difference, his boat is lighter so it has a little bit more of a tendency to get pushed by it, But that 67lb thrust trolling mottor, same as mine also pulls better on his boat and on a calm day I would speculate he was more juice at the end of the day.

Latest posts

Back