New Z Series Pricing?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Whats this I hear about new pricing coming out for the Z series boats in the next couple of days? Over on BBC they're talking about the 2010 Z8's with a 200XS for $29,995? or a 2010 Z7 with a 150 Optimax for $21,995? Anyone else know anything about this???

Good thing I JUST bought myself a Z9! :blink:

-Justin

that was me.....the Z7 is listed in BPS 2010 Master Catalog after dealer told me it would be. Same dealer said the Z8 will be priced right too, just did not know the price for sure. Problem is, Nitro's web page is always slow to get updated. I do know for fact that the Z7 with a 150 is 21,995 and with a 200 pro xs will be 25,495. I am now in the market for one at that price, my 02 901 has gotta go.

I would be very angry if I bought one last year....especially if I needed to sell it....ouch.

I'm not real thrilled and i bought one two years ago....

The value of my boat just took a dump.

Guys, sorry for my ignorance but are the prices up or down? Sounds liek to me that a Z7 with a 150 for 22K is a pretty good price? I also haven't seen a Z8 for under 31K either??? Am I missing something here?

Randy!

The prices went down. This is great for anyone buying a boat now but bad for anyone that bought last year or the year before because the value of thier boat just dropped a ton.

For example my 08 Z7 with the 175 XS and extra's came in at 32 grand. Now im betting with the new pricing its somewhere 24k and change maybe 27k when you throw in the extra's i ordered. Basically because the new ones are selling for so much less now the value on used ones has dropped drastically as well. If i had to guess my 2 year old loaded up boat that was worth in the mid 20's a few weeks ago on the used market is now worth somewhere in the high teens. Like i said before i'm not too happy about the lost value of my boat seemingly overnight.

This kicked every current Nitro owner in the nuts! Now I have a one year old boat worth 20% less in one day. Thanks Nitro.

I bought the Nitro thinking the company had moved in the right direction but I guess I was wrong. They are still acting like the "Walmart" of boat manufactuers.

I am p!ssed and thinking of just selling mine and take the hit. Nitro just lost me as a future customer.

Guys, guys, guys... you're taking this the wrong way.

I realize you are pissed. I'd probably be upset if I were in your shoes too, but I wouldn't take it the way that you are.

For years, boat prices have been inflated to the point of being rediculous. Look at what you get in a boat, compared to a car or truck. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but seriously - look at it.

For quite some time, you could buy a 21 foot boat with a 225 or 250 for the same price or higher than a full size SUV. The automobile has to not only pass the smog tests that boat engines are now also subjected to, but also crash tests, etc... The SUV comes with a comfortable interior, adjustable seats, AC, Heat, power windows, etc, etc, etc... The boat comes with... well - a weatherproof interior. Period. Stop there. No adjustable seats, no ac, no heat, no rolling up windows, etc...

Boat companies haven't changed the design of boats that much. They tweek hulls here and there, and some design some really nice riding hulls. But look at the interiors. Nick-nacks. Do-hickies. Cool widgets. Nothing ground breaking here guys.

For my money, if you're going to be charging what the big-guys are getting for "premium" bass boats lately, there should be a LOT more thought going into the boats design. Where are the built in trolling motors? I've had this idea for years - basically, a 3 blade/3 motor "bow thruster". You stop the boat, walk to the front and start fishing. Nothing cluttering up the bow. No trolling motor shaft and motor head to get caught on a stump or log. Has anyone developed it? Nope. But Allison threw some nifty headlights into the bow. Come on! Really? Headlights? Give me something I can USE! How about the livewell systems? You mean to tell me that in all these years, the best they can do is put baffles in them and recirc pumps? Same crap, different structure. Give me something groundbreaking! Oxygen infusing systems that I don't have to add as an aftermarket design. Better distribution of weight in the boat by placing them somewhere a bit further forward so I don't have a pig getting on plane with a full livewell. Do SOMETHING. But no, we get baffles and recirc pumps. How about the dashes? We still get the same thing we always did. Maybe they spuced it up a little bit, but come on - 4 different warning beeps? How about something that tells me what is actually going on? OK. Smartcraft gauges. Great. Now how about including those in the price of these high dollar rigs? What's that? It's an OPTION? Extra costs you say? Geez! Give me a break.

OK.... I could do this all day, but my short break time is almost over so I have to get back to work.

Basically, what we have here guys is the same thing as the housing market in certain parts of the country. Both the boats and houses got inflated to the point that hardly anyone could afford them. Now the bottom is starting to drop out of the market, and if they want to sell boats, the price has got to come down. I know it sucks for those with the high morgages (or in your case, high boat loans), but all truthfullness, the price is where is should have been a long time ago.

I, for one, applaud the lower prices. I only hope that their quality does not lapse to make up for the price difference. That, in my eyes, would be what kills the brand reputation and your future resale price.

Hope I don't tick anyone off too bad. It's not my intention. I just want you to see it from a different perspective.

All the best,

Glenn

Yea, If I owned a Triton I wouldn't be mad either!

BTW: Your post had nothing to do with the topic.

It sucks for some of you guys bad, but for me having lost everything in a divorce and a dad who battle cancer, both of which hit us very hard, now with these prices, and a good bonus this year, there is hope at the end of the year I might be able to get the boat of my dreams. I know these prices suck for some of us. But for those like me whose credit has been shot. there now is some light shining through the tunnel. I think now maybe I can do this

BTW: Your post had nothing to do with the topic.

Anyone else know anything about this???

Uuuhhh.... Glenn's post described the bulk of reasoning behind the initial question posed in the first post. You might want to read it again and reconsider your reply to someone only trying to help explain your situation. ;)

I guess we will see if other boat manufacturers follow. I doubt they will because they will just dismiss Nitro as being "not one of the big boys" like they always do..

This happens in the real world all the time.. ever bought a flat screen, to find

that it is much cheaper in 6 months? how about a computer, my first had 64M of memory

and a 20M hard drive, paid 2500.00 for it. now you can get a laptop with 1000x computing power for 500.00. So people only are happy when prices go up? very confusing!

:huh:

Personally i dont find it all that confusing at all.

Dave, the refrence to technology i dont think really applies since tech moves so quick. That type of stuff is outaded before you even bring it home and they are for all intents and purposes throw away items. The technonogy in boats hasnt really changed as Glenn mentioned. I think a truck would be a better analogy. I think anyone would be pretty mad if they bought a 2009 model year brand x, y or z truck only to see that same truck's price slashed 20% for the next model year killing any resale or trade value they had any possibly putting them in a situtation where they are many thousands flipped over in value thanks to the price slash.

The issue in my eyes isnt that they have lowered the price, that in itself is fine and its going to sell Nitro lots of boats. I think the boat market is a lot out of whack and has been for years and needed an adjustmentand maybe this will shake up the industry a little. The thing is it really sucks for the guy that just bought a boat 6 months ago and paid full 2009 pricing on it only to see the price drop some 20% overnight. Not only does he feel he paid too much for it but he now has a huge resale hit should he choose or is forced to sell. And the woefully flipped over scenario playes out here as well. There could be guys that owe lots more on thier 09 boat then they could buy a 2010 for.

Personally im not in either of those situations. My boat is a 2008 model and im not even close to flipped over even with the price drop. I also understand that boats do depreciate every day but to see the valule of it suddenly depreciate 20% overnight on top of what it already has is a tough pill to swallow. Its not going to make me enjoy my boat any less and im still going to keep it a long time but i still dont have to like the fact that my boats value just took a dive and i dont like it one bit.

What needs to really be realized is that you have no idea what this is going to do to the resale value of your boat at this time, so you really shouldn't be up in arms about it. You can speculate, but that will be all you are doing.

If the price of the 2010 boat drops as well as quality at the same time, what do you think that does for your 2009 rig? It may drop your value, but it may also make it a higher demand model for those looking for a used Nitro.

Think about it. You like Nitro. It's your brand of choice, and it's what you drive (Kenny Brown comes to mind. Hey! Anyone see Kenny lately?). You want a new boat, and there is a 2009 for $35K. There is also a 2010 for $25K. But you have heard so much bad stuff about the 2010, that you pass on the $10K price difference for the better boat, known to be quality.

Far fetched? Maybe. Maybe not. Again - it's all speculation.

And as far as your response to mine KLSU - If you don't read and think about what is written, you won't understand what I'm trying to explain. I think you might be seeing red right now, so you aren't digesting what other people are offering. If you choose to only see the down side of it, then that's your perogative. I'm only trying to help. The sky is NOT falling. I repeat... The sky is NOT falling. :lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Another thought on this, that I remind myself over and over.

If you are happy with the price you paid for something on the day you bought it, be grateful. However, that doesn't mean that the price won't go down and you should never buy anything, based upon the intent or belief that it will hold it's value better, or at some level. That is not the manufactures responsibility.

And one other thing, if Nitro (in this case) did not do something with the price, then they might not be around in six months, and that will really deal a blow to used boat prices.

Tex

As has always been the case add in the options that make these rigs more functional and you will be right back in the same ballpark. A Z8 powered by a 200? Really? Same rig as my 929 basically and a 200 is too small for that rig IMHO. Look at the options and see where you end up rigging one the way your present boat is equipped. Will quality go down? No way. The quality issue with NITROS has been a dead horse for a number of years and is only brought up by those who need a whipping post for justifying their own purchase or have an axe to grind because they knew someone who had a brother and his friend had a lemon. Old habits are hard to break and it has been in vogue to bash NITRO's for a long time. It's laughable more now than it has ever been. They are in the business to sell boats. The economy is down and so are the prices. Of course they could be like Ranger and stick fast to those high dollar prices but take a look at where Ranger is right now. ALL of the manufacturers that are strong have either made a more affordable rig out of the gate or will make their line more affordable. Simple market based pricing. How do you think new Ranger owners are feeling right now? Not to bash Ranger either because they make (or made) a great boat. Unless you are flipping a rig every couple of years this is a non issue. I'll keep running my old 2000 929 battleship and snicker at the sticker:lol:

TOXIC

Good post Tox, and very true in every way. I've noticed several brands now offering lower priced entries into the market - and some are doing the smaller engines on 18 to 20 foot rigs. I wouldn't want to do it, because I believe in putting the max rated hp on a boat, but that's just me.

By the way - did you see me asking about Kenny in my above post? Have you seen or heard from him recently?

Texas Transplant had a VERY excellent post, and his way of thinking is a very good way of looking at things.

All the best,

Glenn

I stay in touch with KB and I actually have a couple of calls in to him right now. You and I need to hook up as well. Road trips are a way of life with me right now. OR....you ever get the bug to yank some Florida strain, we'll hold Big Dan hostage for some good info in the JAX area!! I have an empty dock on the St Johns.

TOXIC

Personally, I think Jim hit the nail on the head with most everything! This NEEDED to happen, in no way should these boats cost over $50,000! BUT to the people like myself that had just purchased a new Nitro its kind of a stab in the back. I like KLSU got a GREAT deal on mine and most likely will not be upside down on it BUT that "great" deal isn't looking so "great" anymore. Can't wait to see the new pricing on the Z9's!

For those of you in the market for a new Nitro this looks to be a good opportunity to buy! :D

-Justin

I picked my 09 Z7 150efi up for $24k 10/30/09 with $1500 in extras including shipping/prep I Priced the Z7 2010,back in November my boat would have been 32,500 with a 150opt I thought I got a great deal until today seems I broke even,with new pricing.

Well, they're posted over on the Nitro website... $9000 off most Z9's $7000 off most Z8's and $6000 off most Z7's :eek:

-Justin

Justin,

Sorry for the hijack. Hope you don't mind... but while I have Tox's attention....:p :lol:

Tox,

Anytime you're in town, there's always a room for you at my place. Please tell KB I said hello and that I hope he is doing extremely well. If I make it down to Jax, I'll be sure to let you know, but I'm enjoying Texas too much right now to make a road trip to anywhere else at this time. :)

All the best,

Glenn

Tox - No hostage taking necessary! :lol: I try and spend as much winter as my wife and boys will allow in your 'hood. I'll be on the Suwanee river after New Year's for a week. JAX is about an hour, give or take. I do like fishing the Palatka area north in the winter. (George, Rodman, the Oklawaha, Aurora on up, and all of those Springs!!) It's close enough to home (5-6 hrs.) and some of the best bass fishing in the U.S.!! (Let alone the reds, trout, sheepshead, etc. from Doctor's lake on out to the coast.) That fishing I love is why I bought the Skiff. You ever get "si-chee-ated" long enough to go, holler! :D

Hijack over. :)

HA!! My dock points right to Doctor's Lake!! I'm just a little north and on the other side of the river. I would just really enjoy getting out with you on one of your "winter" trips. I just have to get my rig down there. Until I get the lift fixed I can't because the way the property is set up I have no place to put it.

Back on topic, after you spend your $$ it's gone....Don't stress out over something you have no control over!! Make the best deal you can and don't look back. Life's too short.

TOXIC

We were at BPS yesterday talked to Tim (Dan J. knows him, been there in Service for 15 years) he said the 2010 prices will be set to 1999 prices, 2k+ off on most boats next year,didn't ask if that was Tracker AND Nitro or just Tracker.

Just saw they updated the Nitroboats.com site, the Z series are now for 2010 between 6-10k LESS! And the new tourney rewards program looks great, doesn't have the restrictions that Ranger and others used to have on only original owners.

Wow...22K for a nice boat and a 150 with a new pad...cool:cool:

I'm with ya Tee, if I needed a new boat and had cash, i'd get the Z7 with a 150!

If your worried about resale value, it sucked to begin with no matter the brand. Not sure lowering the new boat prices will make it any worse.

I think droping prices is the way to go. Bass boats prices are ridiculous. I will never go pro for the simple reason that to run with the big girls you have to spend WAY too much on a boat. $40-50k for a boat is ridiculous!!! Charging those prices is one of the reasons Ranger is bankrupt. The average or even above average income family can't afford that. I could probably afford a payment on a boat like that but having a boat payment just isn't a priority for me. Not for a few tournaments a year. I do everything I want to do out of a 2008 18foot Triton with a 115hp. Fish, swim, tube (not yet but could) etc. Cost me $10,000 not $40,000. Bought it used cause I refuse to pay new prices.

I often wondered how the ladies on the WBT can afford their boats. There aren't many that are sponsored. A few have rich husbands, a few have good jobs, a few are retired but the majority are just like you and me. I asked a pro I fished with, how do you afford this boat? She said "My payment is $500 a month." I about died. No way I could justify that on a boat. But to each it's own I guess.

Triton came out with the Explorer series to have an affordable boat. I can honestly say there is nothing missing from my boat that I would get spending $40,000 except for the bigger motor and a little length. I just have to stay on medium sized lakes which is fine with me.

I think Nitro made a good decision to make their boats more affordable. I would be upset if I just bought one so I feel for those that did but I think more manufacturers are going to follow because people can't afford the higher prices.

Just my 2 cents.

I can certainly understand everyone just recently buying Nitro's being upset. My 2004 Nitro 901 probably isn't worth as much "cash" as it might have been. Another way to look at this is.........you could still probably "trade up" for the same price as you could before. It's all relevant. One day your used boat is worth 24k and the new boat was worth 36k.......then Nitro drops the prices and now your used boat is worth 18k and the new Nitro is worth 30k, so the difference is still the same, 12k. You only lose if you sell :).

Bass boats are a pitiful investment anyway, if you are just looking at it from a money standpoint.

I seen in the latest BassMaster magazine where Skeeter has a new series boat out with the new Yamaha motor and it is over 70k........I just cannot fathom paying that much for a bass boat. I fish some tournaments but mostly recreational. I guess if I were fishing for thousands of dollars every week I might look at the price differently.

Kevin

True...same with anything...once production has started, the prices usually follow down.

My new 09 Z7 is 3 months old. I am just as pleased with it today as I was when I took delivery regardless of what they are selling the new ones for. I got what I wanted and plan to keep it so current prices won't affect me.

Latest posts

Back