New Nitro Z7 Owner Questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Collier

Reaction score
I just purchased a new Z7 a couple of weeks ago and I have a couple of questions about it. First off, when I bought it the salesman said I needed to give the engine(2012 Mercury 150 Pro XS) 10 hrs of break in time at 2000 rpms but to plane the boat out it takes around 4000. Is that going to damage anything or is the 2000 rpm for 10 hr thing just a really gentle way to break it in? Is it necessary? If not, how many hrs and rpms should be given to break in the motor? Also, I am having a little trouble planing the boat out even when giving it enough gas. It isn't doing anything strange, it just seems like maybe the boat could use ALOT more weight in the front end. Is this common? If so, how do you go about fixing this or dealing with it because if I were to pull a skier or wake boarder it just seems like I would have some issues. Is there anything else I need to check or look for possible issues or to stop problems before they happen in the future? Thanks

A few months ago, I purchased the same exact boat and motor you have. I was just as confused by the break in process. I posted some questions on here and got some great advice from Bob B. and others about proper break in. You should be able to search the forum for "break in" and find those to read (going back to February).

I am new to bass boating, but I am fairly sure that running it for 10 hours at 2000 rpm's is NOT the correct way to break in the motor. During break in, you want to vary the throttle often, at least every 2 minutes during the first hour and at least every 10 minutes for the next 3 hours (according to the book). I actually varied mine every 2 minutes for the first 4 hours to be on the safe side. The manual says most of the time should be in the 3000 to 4500 RPM range during the break in period. I have no idea where this salesman is coming up with the 2000 rpm figure- that is not what Mercury calls for.

Mike

I agree,that guy had zero idea what he was talkin about. Your owners manual should have it spelled out pretty well.

DO WHAT THE MANUAL SAYS!! Don't worry about getting on plane. you will basically plow water for a specifice period of time. yes very boring, but break it in correctly. keep the rpms where the manuals break in procedure says to keep them. for the first 10 hrs (if thats what the manual says) if it says 2000rpms keep it there, you may not be on plane and that is normal. just do as it says.

I have a 2010 and had to spend a couple days just plowing water and looking stupid lol. don't worry, once broke in, you will love it.

Just to add, break in is critical for the lasting life and performance of your motor. Once broken in correctly, you can beat the dog snot out of it or you can baby it but it will perform for a long time. Break it in By the book!!

I KNOW ON MY NEW Z7 WITH A 150 FOUR STROKE IT SAID TO F RUN THE FIRST TWO HOURS BETWEEN 3000 AND 4500 VARYING THE SPEED WUITE OFTEN THE NEST 8 HRS YOU CAN RUN IT UP TO FULL RPM AND BACK DOWN ANBD VARYING QUITE OFTEN I WOULD THINK PLOWING WOUD BE HARDER ON IT THEN RUNNING IT ON PLANE.

Latest posts

Back