New tow vehicle

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Well I broke down a retired the old Dodge. I take delivery of my Oldsmobile Bravada on Friday. It has the 4.3 Vortec, with "Smart Track" 4 wheel drive, premium sound system, leather interior limited edition. All digital display. I'm pumped! Quite the tow vehicle. I know the 4.3 is supposed to be a great engine, but what about this "Smart Track" 4 wheel? Apparently it's all controlled by the computer and only kicks in when the tires slip. I don't know if I like that or not! Anyone here have this. It's an older '94 model. Don't want a new one to guide out of! Plus it's an automatic, so I guess I'll be installing a trany cooler. Feedback?

That's a good truck!!! The smart trac system is cool......like you said,..it's only used when necessary, but you should have full 4wd capability too. A trans cooler would be a good idea if you tow long distances...if you just do local stuff guiding,.......it might not be necessary.....especially since you're not towing a 929!!

Mac, I looked all over but didn't find a manual button to engage the 4X4. Hope it's there and I just missed it. I do long distance towing to tourneys, so a cooler is in order.

Rob...The Oldsmobile Bravada does not have 4WD. The Smartrack system is an All Wheel Drive system. It's primary design is for use on paved surfaces vs. 4WD that can be used off-road. All Wheel Drive sytems utilize a viscus clutch instead of a transfer case. It is an excellent system and well proven over the years. And, there is no switch for the driver to engage for the system to be activated. The GM system is always operating with 35% front and 65% rear distribution of torque under normal operating conditions. The percentage distribution of torque will vary with demanding road conditions.

Regards,

Gary Cooke

Rob...One more thing. If you have the enhanced 4.3L Vortec V6 it will already be equipped with a transmission cooler. If it's the new body style Bravada with the in-line dual overhead cam 4200 Vortec, it too will have a transmission cooler equipped from the factory.

Regards,

Gary Cooke

Rob...Disregard my reference to the 4200 Vortec. I see you have a 1994 model. My apologies. I read past that detail.

Gary

LOL..me too!!....I didn't see the '94 part,....thought you had a new one!!...sorry for the confusion...Gary's exactly right on the AWD vs 4WD details....you'll love the truck!!

Mac

So which is it? 4WD or AWD? I will look to see if it has a cooler today. Should be ready by Friday for my first tow to the lake of the year on Saturday. Finished the boat last night and weather is looking good for this weekend. Looking forward to FINALLY setting a hook!!!!!!

It's an AWD......you won't miss the 4WD unless you plan on taking your boat off-road!!..LOL

It's constantly in 4WD with 65% of the power going to the rear wheels,...VS. 50% in a true 4WD scenerio......your front wheels are getting 35% unless they start slipping and you lose traction etc...then the computer gives it a little shot,.....up to 50% max.....it's a cool feature.

Pretty much!!......all the more reason to kick Saddam's ass now!! LOL (Like we need ANOTHER reason!!)

Mac

Well I was only getting 16 mpg on the highway with my Dakota, so it can't be much worse. Can it? LOL Don't answer that!

Let's see, a day on the water

$35 = gas in truck

$60 = Gas in boat

$10 = 2 cycle oil

$20 = tackle lost on deep structure with zebra mussels

$10 = roadside diner on the go porta lunch choke n puke, soggy sandwich

$20 = replacement TM prop after discovering NEW shallow structure

$150 = Keel guard to patch spot that got hit after propless TM didn't stop boat from hitting rocks

5 toads that exceed 20 lbs and a genuine imitation gold trophy for first place......priceless!

I luv fishin'!

Latest posts

Back