Tow vehicle

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
For those that know me.....humor me.

No trucks, no Tahoes/Yukons.....

If you were going to buy a vehicle to tow your bass boat and also used for your every day driving and you travel alot, what would you get?

I am spending oodles of time in my SUV, commuting a long distance every day so gas mileage and comfort are important. I also need to think about towing my boat to a tournament now and then but not too often. I take the boat to lakes within 2 hours on the weekends.

Just pondering the perfect SUV....or does it exist? I want 4wd, leather and steering wheel controls (yes, I am spoiled). I am very fond of Jeep Grand Cherokee Limiteds but their reliability has a bad reputation. A pathfinder? A 4runner? Something else?

I am on a budget these days so Mercedes and BMW's of the past are not options. Let's say used, under $25k and it has to last me several years. Can't afford to trade them like I used to.

Right now I have an FJ Cruiser. No frills and comfort is terrible on long trips. Fortunately, I bought it very cheap when I was laid off so trading it will not be difficult if I decide to do that.

Teri if you can find a Dodge Durango it is great. I have the Hemi that shuts down to 4 cylinders on the highway and it is great on gas and tows 8900lbs. Seat 7 yet not as big as a Tahoe. Mine (05) currently has 238,000 and counting and running great! Never a major problem but I am a clean and maintenance freak and rarely have problems with any vehicle I have had, Ford, Chevy, etc...

I know some will balk but I just yesterday bought a Dodge Nitro R/T. It can tow 5000lbs and has everything I want almost. Would love one with a V8 but for my TV-18 it will be great. Mine has the 4.0 V6 but a friend has the 3.7 V6 and tows an R18 Ranger with no problems. Plus they look cool.

I think I am the first on the site to have one and tow with it and we just had a discussion about it a week or two ago but I went with it anyways. I will give a report as time goes on. I think I tow and use mine like you will, just won't be able to give you a report fast enough.

Good luck with the decision.

Randy!

Randy, I am looking at an 08 Jeep GC with a 5.7 Hemi that was traded for a Mercedes. Isn't that the same engine thats in your Durango? I thought gas mileage would be horrible though because I had an 06 Jeep Commander with a hemi and I averaged like 13mpg. I did all local driving back then (3 miles to work).

I also looked at an 06 Nissan Pathfinder LE with 38k miles. It's certified so the warranty extends. People have complained about the reliability of it since 05.

Believe it or not (some will laugh), I am really focused on getting something that will meet all my needs and be reliable enough to keep for several years. I wasn't going to ask anything here because of my past history of trading cars every 6 months but I wanted your advice so I don't mess up.

You can't go wrong with a 4runner if you can find one in the price range. My wife had one and I towed my old Nitro 896 with it on occasion and it handled it very nicely with the v6. We sold it to friends and they still own it and recently said it's never been in the shop for any other than routine maintenance. I have always regretted selling that thing. My neighbor has a Dodge Nitro and it runs great but has had a ton of issues with brakes and oil leaks but maybe he just got a bad one.

Teri,

Here's my take on it (and note - I own two Mopar vehicles right now - a 07 Dodge Ram and a 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.).

Don't buy a Mopar if you are concerned about gas mileage. I have to disagree with Randy, as the most complaints I've heard about Mopar products have to do with the really crappy gas mileage. I seriously think there is a such thing as a "Mopar Valve" that dumps raw fuel onto the pavement if you get better than a certain gas mileage. :lol: Randy must have found his valve and removed it, or it was a Monday at the Dodge plant and they forgot to install it. :lol: My wife's Jeep has the 4.7 and it gets about 14mpg right now. My Dodge has the 5.7 and it's a MDS engine (4 cylinders cut off at highway speeds). Best I've ever seen in it was on a long distance trip, but I average about 13/14 mpg on a good day, and worse when towing. I've kinda had it with getting crappy mileage, and Dodge's service has left a sour taste in my mouth recently. No more Mopar for me after these two vehicles are ready for trade in.

Toyota has too many issues for me lately. I briefly considered them, but with all the recalls, I'm just not too keen on getting one. Plus, you already own a FJ, so get something different.

I avoid Nissan at all cost. Too expensive. Especially repair bills after the warranty expires. I think Nissan makes more money on replacement parts than they do on selling cars and trucks. :p

Buy a Chevy. Get Mac to make you a good deal on that Traverse. It's the one we have been looking at lately.

All the best,

Glenn

Toyota's are okay...they keep on running.....even when you don't want them to!!! :blink:

BWWAAHHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!......sorry..couldn't resist!! As much grief as I've taken over the past 2-3 years defending GM and our stuff,..I figured I'm entitled to a few paybax!!!

Carry on,......no more slams from me!! Teri,...if you decide on a GM,..let me know..I'll be glad to hook you up and save you a couple grand!!;) Go test drive a Traverse,..it'll blow your socks off!:rolleyes:

lol @ Mac.

I haven't looked to see if the FJ is part of the recall. Guess I should.

Is the Traverse the same as the GMC Acadia? See, I haven't looked at cars lately so I don't even know. I guess I will look them up but I am guessing a new, loaded version of either is more than I want to spend.

Yes,...the Traverse and Acadia are on the same platform...you'll be pleasantly surprised when you check'em out as far as what you get for the price....especially with the discount! (and don't forget the 60 day money back gaurantee!!)

Mac, just looked them up while feeding my face. $40,000 for the loaded version. yikes! The Acadia Denali looks sweet!!! but can't afford it new.

Two words Ford Expedition. 'nuff said. Or MAYBE an Explorer with the V8.

Gotta agree that the Expedition is very nice... F-150 with a "butt job"... LOL!!!

I pulled my Z6 to Kentucky Lake from SC last summer with our 05 4 Runner V6, not a problem. I have pulled my Z7 short distances with it and still does a great job. Without the boat it averages 23 mpg, it is a 2WD, cannot expect a 4WD to get that gas mileage. Good luck.

Gee...Teri's looking for another tow vehicle!!!! LMMFAO!!

Hope you get a good deal.....cuz you won't be keeping it long!!! :eek: :p :D

Ok BOOB....kiss my big fanny!!!

Sorry about IM the other day. I have a new consultant following me around so I can't play.

LOL @ BOOB!! No problem on the IM...I know ya gotta work sometimes!!

:p for your fanny!! HA!!

Teri

They must love you at the DMV. "Hey look here she comes again!!!":lol:

fatrap

My 97 Ford Explorer has a big 6 cylinder engine and gets reasonable gas mileage. It has 127,000 miles ang going strong. It tows my 05 NX882 like its a jon boat. When it dies....IF it dies, I will buy another Explorer.

Easy - 2008 Dodge Magnum R/T 340 hp and 390 lb-ft of torque, 3800 lbs towing capacity, carries all your sh$t in the back, will kick a$$ at 0-60 under 5.5 seconds when NOT towing, and a friend who builds custom Mopar NHRA Pro Stock engines/trannys says "the best tow vehicle when you don't need an SUV ground clearance!"!!! 5spd heavy duty auto tranny, load leveling shocks, tranny/oil cooler standard (with the tow package) and you will be NOT the same SUV on the boat ramp!!! LOL

Just DO IT!!

A station wagon, Trep.....Really??? That's almost as bad as a mini van. I'd rather shoot myself. :lol:

Teri,

I tow with a 2002 Ford Explorer. Tows my Nitro 640LX as if it was not there. I also drive it daily for work and am getting 18mpg city and last trip I got 25mpg hwy. Now it does drink the gas when I tow with the overdrive off but I dont tow long trips to often. It alo has great space in the back.

Dan

Teri, I'll chime in with what we have/have had here.

Currently, my every day and tow vehicle is an '05 Explorer, and it's the best tow vehicle I've had so far. Granted, I'm towing a tin rig that's maybe 2500 lbs fully loaded. I think brand new the boat/motor/trailer package weight was around or a little under 2000. It tows/launches/loads it like it's nuthin'. I've heard runors the new Explorers coming out will be built on the Taurus frame, but don't know if that's true, so if that's true, that may something to keep in mind if you're looking for a brand new vehicle. Again, it's a rumor I've heard, don't know if it's true.

We also have an old workhorse '94 jeep Grand Cher. Laredo that's closing in on 200k miles, and still runs (and occasionally but rarely tows) like a champ. My wife drives that one to work every day. (She's always been a Jeep person.) I've offered to trade many times, but she loves those Jeeps. She had an '04 Grand Cherokee, but gave it to her son when he went away to college, but loved that one too.

Prior to my current tow vehicle, I've had various Chevys, no problems with any of them.

Believe it or not my favorite between the '00 Blazer, '92 mini van, and the '95 G20 (shorty conversion van), was the G20 van. Room for plenty of gear,coolers, kids, etc. room to take a nap, or wait out lightning, and no problems towing. Anyway, bottom line, I hope my Explorer lasts a long time, it's my favorite.

I have a 06 Trailblazer. I get around 22-23 hwy (when not pulling the boat), and city not too bad, around 17/18 or so. But it has a ton of space, and I can't hardly even feel my 750 back there. It is very strong and I think they can be found reasonably priced used. If you have some extra coins buy the 4Runner, they just last forever, but the fuel mileage is a little worse than you'd think.

Teri is looking for a new vehicle? Six months flies by so fast! :)

Teri, if comfort and mileage are important, you should normally be focused on car-based SUVs. But they really are compromise tow vehicles.

It's tough to beat the newer Explorers for ride comfort in a medium sized, traditional frame-based vehicle, and it's an outstanding tow platform with modest tow weights. Not sure if the Chevy Traverse is car or truck based, but I rode in one a few weeks ago and it was very comfortable. The Ford Flex is extremely nice, if the styling doesn't put you off.

Teri,

I agree with Berry. I had an '02 Trailblazer and would still have it if a wreck hadn't claimed it. I had the 4wd model and averaged 21-22 mpg. It towed a big enclosed trailer or my Dad's 20' Javelin just fine. Very comfortable with leather, and all the bells and whistles.

Scott

Yes Glenn the dealer said I got a gem. I do get 20+ on the highway and average almost 18 for everyday driving! The Hemi has not disappointed.

I was able to drive another Nitro yesterday. It is my friends with the 3.7 V6 that he tows the Ranger with. It is great, not perfect and again for what I tow and drive I am hoping it to be the best all around deal. The one I am getting has the 4.0 V6 with the tow package and loaded with 25k miles for $18,500! It was the best deal. Pathfinders, pilots, traverse, acadia, flex etc....... All too much money.

Like I said, I may be taking a chance, but only time will tell and I will give a full and honest review once I have one towing the TV-18!

ONLY TWO MORE MONTHS UNTIL THE ICE IS GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RANDY!

You are concerned about towing and wont consider a truck or suburban? You arent thinking right....

If I were you.....and I know I am not, but if I were looking and had the same scenario that you described....I would get two vehicles. As you cannot safely tow a full size bass boat with a car platform SUV. Sure you might get around, but I said SAFELY....cannot be done. Only other choice is a mid sized SUV (Trailblazer, Nitro, etc.) and even in bad condidtions or emergency situations I woul be afraid of the short wheelbase and light load of either of those. Remember your safety cannot be scrimped on!

Just buck up and get a decent used full size truck or SUV (did you know my Yukon is considered a station wagon :) ) and a daily commuter car with all the amenities you are looking for. The truck/SUV becomes a recreational vehicle and the car/small SUV is your daily driver. Not only that if you get a quad cab or cab and a half truck with a full size bed and a cap you have instant sleeping quarters.

You are asking for a car to handle the work of a truck and it isnt going to happen! As I said I know it can be done, but in an emergency situation you will need the additional weight, stopping power, acceleration, etc of a full size truck or SUV to get the job done correctly. or you will be asking for trouble.....

Just my .02

My opinion, Mini could not be more correct. His comments are 1000000% spot on.

Personally ive done the short wheelbase towing thing and i wont ever do it again. A full sized suv or truck with a real frame is the only way to fly in my opinion.

Mini's given you great advice, but if you really want the combo of great mileage and guts to tow, I found one!

Terimobile.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

TrlBlzr's tow perfectly fine too...remember,..they were the FLW and BASS's "Official Tow Vehicles" when Chevy was sponsoring them. It's also the smallest SUV style vehicle still built on a frame. (Xover's are unibody). I towed many a Nitro and Ranger with TB's and never had any issues,....plenty of power (especially with the v8) and more than adequate braking capability!! Giter DONE girl!!;)

Hey Tim - "BUY USA, Chevy, Ford, or Dodge"

I know this isn't popular, and maybe i'm wrong but... Well really you can only buy Chevy or Ford! Just like when Dodge was owned by Daimler, with Dodge owned by Fiat so it's no different then buying a Kia, Hyundai or any other made in the US by a foreign owned corporation where profits go outside of the US :)

So I guess technically my 2006 Dodge is a German car not a US car, since Daimler owned it at the time!! LOL

Maybe some of those more learned then me, but am i right? Sorry to hijack the thread Teri!

Teri - Whats a SUV? Just a combination of a Wagon and a Minivan!! just SOUNDS cooler to say SUV!!! LOL

Thank you for all the advice. I am still undecided. I know my FJ has a wheelbase of 105". The Explorer and Pathfinder have the longest mid-suv wheelbase at 112". The Tahoe's (which many of you told me to buy at one time) wheelbase is 116". I don't see there being that much difference in towing a boat between 18-19ft based on 4". Those 4" would cost me several thousand dollars to step up to a Tahoe under 50,000 miles. I just can't have a truck as my only vehicle and I can't afford to plate, insure and maintain 2 cars.

trep,

The lines have been blurred across the board on what an "American" car is....as for the profits? They are all publicly traded companies that the profits are split between investors. They could be from anywhere.

Now the old school thinking is that you should buy American to keep our manufacturing base strong. We need to have a manufacturing base no matter what and people seem like they dont understand that. If we turn into a pure service industry here in the US whats gonna happen IF a world war happens? If we end up against the Japanese or Chinese, do you think they would be willing to manufacture parts (metal and electrical) parts for us to use against them? It is scary to think that RIGHT now there are parts being put into our highest classified surveilance satelites that are made in countries that we are not true allies with.....

Back to the original post.....Yes Mac the Trailblazer was the official tow vehicle of the FLW...AND it does a mighty fine job at towing. Youe experience towing with it is pretty simple compared to other parts of the country. We live in flat lands....I would not want to be on a highway headed downhill in a rainstorm in the smokey mountains and have to make an emergency stop in one though.....can it be done? Oh yes, but which would you rather be in? Full size or Mid size?

Besides no one has even mentioned the fuel capacity for long trips.....

I am still (and will always be) in the camp that you NEED a full size truck or SUV to tow safely. And if given the choice, a 3/4 ton over a 1/2 ton. I use a 1/2 ton, but again....its pretty flat around these parts. and I have 4 wheel disc brakes, towing package with a trans cooler.

Mini, I agree with you about a full size being safer. I guess some of us decide since we aren't pulling a 21ft boat with a 250hp on the back, we don't need as much of a vehicle. I know I drive alot different when towing and I always leave WAY more room to stop. Doesn't mean I won't have an emergency some day. I just hope what I have at the time will do the job.

Trep, the largest of the SUV are closer to a pickup in frame and drivetrain. Suburban to Silverado, F150 to etc.

the smaller midsize SUVs can go either way and are typically not quite a Minivan and not quite a truck.

The "crossovers" are almost always more car than Van/Truck underneath

"I just hope what I have at the time will do the job."

Persoanally i would NEVER want to be in that situation where i have to hope....

Ive towed with a lot of different vehicles and ive learned a lot of things. Like i said before i will never tow with a short wheelbase again. I had a Chevy Blazer 2 door (105" wheelbase) that i woed with for years. I have a small 16' boat at the time and it was not even close to what the vehicle was rated for weightr wise. That thing was downright scary in some situations like a panic stop. I almost hit a person that ran into the street when i was only going 25mph, not because i didnt have enough brakes or even room but because the boat was able to exert enough force on the truck to almost jackknife it and it would not stop. Thats something that would never ever happen in my current truck or even the longer s10 truck that replaced that blazer. It also got scary any time a big rig went past etc. Its just didnt feel safe at all which is the main reason i got rid if it.

4" doesnt seem like a lot but it can make a difference. The wider track and extra weight of a full sized makes a difference too. If your looking at 4 runners or explorers id bet the fuel milage between them and something like a tahoe is darn close if you dont drive with a lead foot. My silverado gets better gas milage then a friends tacoma does day to day.

I'm with Randy - a 5.7 Hemi that was traded for a Mercedes. Isn't that the same engine thats in your Durango? Yes I have the same 5.7ltr hemi, I get about the same mileage as Randy (though he must be easier on the pedal then me!! LOL), I get 21-22mph on the highway when she shuts down to 4 cylinders, and even burning rubber regularly get around 18mph around town.

Pondscum - Mini even said it "(did you know my Yukon is considered a station wagon :)"!!! LOL

Yep, I drive a station wagon!

Image%2828%29.jpg

..with the difference being...Mini's is a man's wagon....Treps is a chick wagon!! :eek::p

However, I bet Trep wins the "with towed" drag race!:eek::D

Trep, official classifications are nutz. PT Cruiser (part toy?) can be plated as a van here, but a PT ragtop cant. same car, hard roof vs soft roof.

Give me a truck or SUV, with a FRAME, I barely drive 3K a year on the truck so gas mileage is a moot point for me.

This would be interesting:
http://tinyurl.com/ybfppqa

Trep, if that's your house in the background, I am coming to live with you when I get laid off again.

It's his house..Er Mansion,,,He might be skinny but he's mighty...HAR HAR.Teri let Mac get you a Chebby...

Come on Teri....you know you want an "old mans" truck!! Can always lose the cap and put a tonneau cover on it. :p

2009_GMC_SLE_cropped.jpg

I would have abtter chance in that race if we swapped boats!!!! (but only till we got to the ramp :) )

I would run over small children with that big good ole boy truck!!!

True Dat!

Besides Teri..once my wife started driving a truck, she says anything smaller seems tiny and doesn't have enough power or makes her feel safer;)

If you go over to Trep's house, you're gonna wind up with a serious case of garage envy.

I can't or don't want to afford a brand new Chevy Traverse with leather and 4x4. I am a firm believer in buying used and getting everything I want in an SUV. I have only ended up with one lemon, Land Rover.

I think an Expedition is HUGE! Trying to avoid something that big. Can't have a truck as my only vehicle. I haul around too much crap and dogs.

I really want this 08 Jeep Grand with Hemi but I know going in reliability sux. Sigh!

Ah hell Teri just get a Hummer H3 and be done with it..

Buzz

Latest posts

Back