New Tow Vehicle (used, but still nice)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, we drove all of the major brands and looked closely several of the trucks. Turns out that the one I bought had 'just come in' and was being made ready. I really liked this one for the price/performance and the quality of how it has been taken care of.

It's a 2002 Ford F350 4WD Dually, with the tow package; and:

7.3L Diesel

Automatic

Leather interior

Front and rear bumpers are heavy duty and love the color/look of the truck.

Almost all the options that I wanted. One picture below, the others in my library. Now, just need something to tow!

F350_1.jpg

Tex

Wow I have the same truck except not a dually gotalmost 200k and still running like a champ. Gonna hold onto mine for a few more years then go the Scorpion. Got to drive one of those last week I'm in Love.

Nice truck

fatrap

Wow I have the same truck except not a dually gotalmost 200k and still running like a champ. Gonna hold onto mine for a few more years then go the Scorpion. Got to drive one of those last week I'm in Love.

Nice truck

fatrap

Barry did you actually say "What's your mileage!" Ha Ha HA!!!!!!!

Randy!

If the question is really regarding 'mileage', I don't have it as yet but I'm guessing that it will be representative - meaning 'not good'. I can report back on that.

As for miles, it has 193k miles on it. Certainly doesn't show on the body/interior and hard to tell regarding the engine which just cranks and runs like a top. I'm fairly certain I can get another 100-150k from the engine.

Tex

Very nice Tex! That truck looks almose new, i cant believe it has close to 200k on it. Its obvious the prior owner took very good care of it. Im sure you will be good to go for a long time. There is no doubt that truck will haul anything you want to tow behind it.

Mileage? I think they measure it in some kind of flow rate ... ;). Very good looking truck.

Just found the towing specs on line. It will tow almost 15,000 lbs and be within 'spec'. The campers/5th Wheels we are looking at currently are under that limit. Of course, I would need to add in the 'crap' that we will be putting in it also! I also learned that I get a 'bump' in ratings if I get a regular 5th Wheel hitch (which of course I will be doing).

Lot's to learn about the 'technical aspect' of doing all this. Hopefully, I can get to the 'pleasure/relaxtion' part of this, as we approach the fall.

Tex

LOL Marty.

Im sure it could always be worse. My dad had a 30' class C RV on an E450 Chassis with a v10 gas. That thing drank fuel, something to the tune of 8 mpg on the freeway at 55mph. At 65 it was like 5mpg. I bet that truck pulling a trailer will be better then that.... probably by a decent bit too.

the thing that really makes me laugh tho is my Dodge with a 4.7l v8 that i used to own got a whopping 10mpg on the freeway at 65 towing my 882. that thing combined weighed less then half the weight and almost the same mileage. Fuel use is one of the many reasons im glad i no longer own that truck.

My wife's vehicle is a Mercury SUV that get's around 15 mpg and is paid for. Its a 1999 and paid for - not worth very much on trade (at all) nor selling it retail. So, for the moment - we are going to keep it and that will be her regular go to the store vehicle. Makes for a crowded driveway, but . . . .

That, and we both need to get used to the F350 and using it 'around town'. It certainly brings into play concerns as far as parking lots go. Long and wide.

Additionally, I just realized that I got a 'bonus' on the deal I made. Niether myself or the dealer selling this (nor my credit union for that matter) took into account that this truck has the 'Ranch Hand' heavy duty grill guards and bumpers on it. All of that adds about another $3500 in options to the trucks value. Nice.

And I'm telling you, if I accidentally back into 'something' with this, I won't have to worry about what it's done to my truck! That back bumper is wicked!

Tex

Nice truck! you're gonna love it on the highway. I betcha that thing ain't even gonna work up a sweat pulling that RV.Enjoy!!

Marty mine's unchipped and I get 17 mpg with my 7.3. I get a new grill guard tomorrow and bumper as my foot slipped off the brake (I'm old ok!) clobbered a Sudanese immigrant's 'GMC Denali. Crushed the back end of that thing a beer car. BUT Dumb me!

fatrap

fatrap, at least you didn't hit the gas instead of the brake and crash into the DMV building while there for your "old man's" test! :lol:

Seriously thought about putting one on my truck due to all the deer here in VA. Some kind of warm weather disease has wiped out 1/2 the population so maybe not until next year. Nothing like going down the road and coming over a rise to see a herd standing in the middle of the roadway!! Has happened to me 3 times towing to the lake. Once I did exactly what you aren't supposed to do and swerved (put the trailer up on 2 wheels) second time missed them but 1 ran into the side of the truck and the third time one went between the truck and boat. Thought I missed her until I got to Bill's house at Lake Anna and found deer hair in the TM and about 5lbs of deer poop on the back deck!! Also ripped my tag 1/2 off. Well worth the $$ if you tap one head on!!

TOXIC

fatrap, I didn't drive into the DMV. I've seen it in the news before and thought of that when you said your foot slipped off of the brake and hit a car.

Tox, you guys need to eat more venison!

People around my neighborhood treat them like pets. They feed them and one crazy lady 2 houses down actually sings to them. They eat all my landscaping. You know it's bad when the does drop their fawns in your yard. I have counted 30 in my forested land behind the house. Actually had a stare down with a velveted buck yesterday driving into my driveway. I've got around 10 various nut trees (Hickory, Birch, Oak, etc.) around my house. I have once again waged war on the tree rats because they continue to eat my asphalt roof shingles. That is fun though:p One shot, one kill!! Except about 20 times a night.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back