Tow Vehicle - 5th Wheel Camper/Trailer - Opinions Needed

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Okay, need some input and feedback concerning a different type of tow vehicle. My wife and I want to start traveling and seeing the US with a 5th Wheel Camper. Been looking at different campers and such, and while we are not settled on what we want as yet, we really need a tow vehicle.

First of all, I am looking at only USED tow vehicles and nothing new. Likely something that was built in the 2000-2005/2006 timeframe. I simply won't pay the prices for a brand new one, no matter how good they might be.

Many suggestions have come back to get an F350 Dually, with the 7.3L Turbo Diesel. I've been told via conversation and look up on the Net that I should stay away from the 6.0L Diesel - especially pre-2005. My understanding is that the 2005 and 2006 new version of the 6.0L Turbodiesel is much better.

What would you recommend and why? Ford, Dodge or GM?

Diesel/Gas (assuming diesel for the tourque and pulling power).

Dually vs standard rear wheels (2) - I know that a Dually will give you more stability and spread the load on the tires better. We are not looking at towing a HUGE load, but will likely wind up with a 28-35' Trailer.

Anything else that you want to through into the conversation, would be appreciated.

Tex

Personally, I would look at a diesel 3/4 or 1 ton (you pick the brand, I'm not going there) single non dually. I really like the features of the Allison transmission since no matter how much power you have, it means nothing if you can't get it to the wheels efficiently. To also keep costs in line I would look seriously at a 3/4 ton crew cab which is a manageable driver when you get to where you are going. Dually's are a challenge plus lower MPG due to the extra tires/rims/weight. Are you going to travel in the winter or to cold areas?

TOXIC

Tox,

Thanks for the response. I won't be going 'cold' for awhile I don't think. Maybe far down the road, but by that time I likely would have changed regardless.

Nice comment on the Allison transmission. Those are the types of things that most folks forget to factor in. I also had several recommendations on NOT getting a dually.

Additional information: At first I was looking at older trucks (2000-2002 - all diesels) with higher mileage (175-200k) simply because I wanted the overall cost of doing this to be more manageable. However, the more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to be happier with something that is a little newer and a longer life span.

Several friends have suggested the 2500 Series (regardless of mfg) instead of a bigger 3500.

Tex

The reason I ask about cold weather is that you need to buy smart on the trailer, there are a few brands actually manufactured for cold weather, better insulated, etc., but that adds weight. It might also put a mark in the plus column for a dually because of the added traction and stability in snow. Remember though, 2 extra tires to have to replace. I would definitely stay with the oil burner though. I like my truck but with a 21ft boat it is just perfect, a trailer would be working it beyond what I like. It may have to start hauling a couple of horse trailers soon and we'll see how it does. Mini used my truck to pull a triple axle boat/trailer out of a backyard in Michigan and haul it to a ramp and he said the truck was "a beast" so it probably will handle a lot more than I am asking of it. :p

TOXIC

Oops.....miss punched the enter button.

I pull a 35 foot fifth wheel and my 911CDC behind that, I pull it with a GMC 3/4 ton, Duramax with the Allison.

being a diesel tech by trade, now service manager, was of an Allison distributor shop for the last 8 years, just left there, i really like my GMC, the Allison is a great product for pulling, almost bullet proove, and the Duramax is great for pulling, had an 06 now an 09.

Dodge and Ford both have good products also, but i prefer GM myself, both for the quietness of the Duramax, and the quality of the Allison.

now food for thought on any of the diesels on the market and your thoghts of high mileage units, repair costs on the engines are very high for all of them, so be cautious on that fact.

one more thought on the GM units, early 06 and older units, were lower HP and only sported a 5 speed Allison trans, mid 06 they increased the HP and torque and added the 6th gear, but also, do not pull heavy in 6th, that is double overdrive, and any auto, the overdrive uses the smallest clutch packs for that ratio.

feel free to message me if you want more info, i have pulled many miles with mine, and with our camper and my boat, it pulls a lot.

I'll offer my experience. From 2001 until 200 I worked for a company that was mobile. By mobile, I mean I traveled from Mass. to Az., and from Ca. to Fl., and all points in between. I drove a 2001 F-250, 7.3ltr, and usually pulled a 16' dual axle cargo trailer loaded to the max. Only issue we ever had was the tranny went out @ around 150k and had to be replaced (not cheap). The engine was as strong at the end of my tenure as it was when it was new. The truck pulled great, had plenty of power over the Rockies and Apps.

That engine was/is kind of loud, and took some willpower to drive with windows open, which I think was a major factor in going to the 6.2liter. But that's when Henry started having durability problems with his diesels. Have they improved since 2003???? its about 50/50

As Gofish posted, maintenance on diesels is expensive, but if you keep up with it, they'll run forever. Main areas to focus on; oil, oil filters, fuel filters, air filters, and watch out where you buy fuel. Whatever you do, don't buy something that doesn't have a tranny temp guage, or if you do, have one installed. That helped me to get from Mississppi to Tennessee when our tranny began dying. You may even want to upgrade to a larger tranny oil cooler if you plan on staying out west a lot.

A freind of mine (Ford employee) told me the main difference in the 250s-350s or 2500s-3500s is the suspension/brake package. Bigger brakes/shocks/springs to achieve higher tow limits. I'd probably recommend the 350 or 3500 for that reason if your pulling a bigger 5th wheel, and if it was me, I'd go with a dually for the added stability. When you're out west and come out from behind a hill to an open plain, the crosswinds can do a number on your rig when you don't expect it. i'm just sayin'........

Thanks Cliff. I may well do that. I'm taking my time looking, and trying not to get too wrapped up in any one item. Your notes about the HP and torque along with Tranny changes are much appreciated.

Absoultely something I learned doing research that the 'year/time of manufacture' on some of these is critical. I know that the Ford 6.0 got major improvements in 2005, but the other improvements to this engine didn't come till 2006.

I drove an F350 SRW 4 x 4 (2006 model) last night, and really did not like it much at all. However, that may well be that I've not driven that type of Truck before and simply was not used to it. I really didn't like the 'turning response' I got. Not sure if it was the particular truck, or designed that way. Really slow response making a turn - very slow.

Thanks again.

Tex

Is there any distinct 'advantage' or 'dis-advantage' to having a 4 x 4?

I have no plans, and for the most part do not feel I need a 4 x 4, however MANY of the trucks that I see out there are 4 x 4's. I've 'heard' that the 4 x 4's actually lower the 'towing capacity' of the vehicles.

Just wondering if anyone has info on this.

Tex

Lower towing capacity and lower mpg but when you need it, you need it. Once again depends on the weather and location you will be towing in. I would imagine a 5th wheel puts enough pressure on the rears that you would not have to worry about traction in most situations.

TOXIC

If you go the 4 x 2 route, you might want to check into the locker rear end option. I'm not sure what else is out there, but GM RPO code G80 is an Eaton mechanical locking differential that locks under 20mph and it works very well. I have it on a GMC 4 x 4.

Have to agree with Toxic. It's better to have it and not need it as to need it and not have it. Saved my butt a few times.

Thanks guys. Once again, better to learn from the 'pros' and experienced voices here than simply trying to guess. I'm getting my 'wish list' narrowed down.

Thought I had found the perfect GMC (right year, age, mileage, etc) but while re-reading the equipment list on it during lunch, didn't have the better transmission in it. I'm not going to be in a hurry on this one, as I want my $$$ to count and get the right thing.

Tex

Latest posts

Back