New Rojas Frog just in time for Holloween

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Kayaker

Reaction score
Well I just got the new Dean Rojas Spro Frogs just in time for Holloween and in the middle of a bizarre snow storm here in New England on Saturday. I had some time to do a quick visual comparison of this against the Boze Sumo Frog, Scum Frog and Reaction Innovations Swamp Donkey. Other frogs from other manufacturers were in my boat and I didn't feel like braving the snow storm to pull the boat cover off to get them but I will get them for a more complete review in the spring.

Here are some quick observations:

You can see that the Spro Frog has the weight in such a position that it sits up more than the others so it would be more maneuverable as a surface lure. The body isn't as sculpted but I am guessing it was designed to be skipped and chugged through the water.

The body seems to be much more soft (not sure if the thickness is different) than the Sumo or Swamp Donkey which means that it will compress easier allowing you to set the hook better. I think the original Scum Frog has the softest body but it is an entirely different design than the rest as well.

The hook itself is much different than the others and seems to be designed for this body versus the others where maybe they just used the existing double hooks that were available.

The legs aren't as fine as the Swamp Donkey's but seem to be very flexible. I will cut one open during the winter to see how they are attached. The colors are reallly nice (more of a fisherman attractant than a bass attractant since the bass won't see the top color -only the bottom color). The best colors have to be on the Sumo Frog but as I said, these are really good.

I am hoping we have one final warm-up after this coming week so I can try them out on the water before I winterize my boat.

Here is a photo:

Rojas Frog No1.jpg

The Dean Rojas Spro Frog

Let me know if you have any questions about it that I may be able to answer.

Bill, The Mad Kayaker

Latest posts

Back