Unexpected call from Dean Rojas

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Kayaker

Reaction score
Hey - you will never guess who I talked to last night. That's right - Dean Rojas! He heard I was interested in his new Spro frog, got my number from a west coast dealer I buy from and called me. I told him I couldn't believe he was calling and that I wanted to talk to him for a story I wanted to write about him for my web site I was building for next year as well as tell him I am a big fan of frog fishing.

He told me all about the new frog, when he started fishing it, some of the problems with the Sumo Frog he used to throw, how to make modifications to frogs (some I knew, some I didn't), who he looks up to in fishing, what tournament trail he is fishing next year, etc...

I will be getting some hopefully next week - one of the stores that sponsors him will ship them out later this week and I will be one of the first to get them. He is hoping I get a chance to use it before the end of the season here in the northeast. I should have asked him if I could try them on his home lake with him! Nah, I should have really asked him to autograph one or two of them but I was just shocked he called me.

Dean said that he only began throwing the frog four years ago and all of the amateurs who fished off the back of the boat were amazed that he used the frog and the bass he was catching and even though he asked them to keep it quiet, word quickly spread. Once he got into the Top 10 and he was being televised (he said television focuses on Top 10) last year, it really took off.

Some things you might be interested in - he said that this frog is great for beginners and people who fish open water because the lure gets more hooksets than traditional frog lures.

He also told me the secret trick to catching bass that blow up on the frog but miss it or don't get set on the hook. You will have to read the article when I write it ...

After I got off the phone, I checked the caller ID and sure enough the number was ID'd as Rojas!!! What a nice guy for taking time out of his day to call a frog fan.

Pretty cool, huh? One of the reviews I am looking forward to writing for the website is on the various frogs that are out there - GregD knows I have tons of them!

If you like frog fishing and are interested in helping with the article, send me an email, tell me what type frogs you use today and I might send a few brand new frogs for you to review provided you can meet the requirements. My email address is:

[email protected]

Bill, The Mad Kayaker

Kudos to one of my sponsors!! SPRO!! Beware, this is not the frog that is in any of the catalogs. It is new this year and YES they work well!! If I'm not mistaken, BPS will carry them in the future.

TOXIC

Dean is one cool dude. I drew him at the U.S. Open back in the day. He was the coolest pro that I had drawn for that 3 day event at lake mead. He told me the night before that we would be throwin blades all day. He was not kidding. We threw spinnerbaits alllllll day long, till my arms fell off basically. He also did not want me in the back of the boat. He had me up front throwing with him and on the trolling motor whenever. And we kicked some butt too, we had about 15lbs that day and he got a nice check and won the event at havusu the next month. He is a cool genuine type of guy, and works his butt off, he never gives up.

frogs, nope Bill doesnt use frogs.

i have never seen so many frogs in one mans boat before. i thought he was selling them to fisherman on the lake.

nice job on getting those interviews, i am sure your sight will be great.

i look forward to hearing more at the next meeting.

GregD

Latest posts

Back