New lures for 2007 - I'm excited this year!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I started tournament bass fishing in 1994. At that time, I quickly bought up tons of tackle. Crankbaits, Spinnerbaits, Jigs, Plastics - I've bought literally tons of them over the past 12 years. But over the past few years, I've slowed down considerably. Seldom does anything catch my eye lately, and when it does, I talk myself out of it most of the time, as I already have too much.

HOWEVER.... this coming year, I have a bad feeling that I'm going to be shucking out some cash! Bassmasters newest - the November 2006 issue, has me looking hard at the following:

1) Bitin' Titan - a titanium BLADED spinnerbait - hmmm... interesting. I'd like to see a TUNGSTEN bladed spinnerbait - talk about some THUMP!

2) Bomber model B crankbait - it's another Balsa lure, which I have a ton of, but I have to check it out.... just to satisfy a curiousity.

3) Boat House Bait Co. has a spinnerbait that looks a little cheap, but the red wrap on the hook - looking similar to a salmon egg has me thinking of ways to modify my own.

4) Booyah Bait Co. has a Bedbug round head jig, with the hook eye turned the way I like it - sideways. I have a feeling this one is going to take the place of Bitsy Bugs in my tackle box.

5) Daiwa has a small crankbait called the Peanut. I'm interested in the 3 foot diving model, as a "go between" lure.

6) Yamamoto's Swimming Senko. Do I need to elaborate on this one??? :lol: Gotta get some!

7) Hart Tackles S2 Spinnerbait - I'm not buying some... but I am already modifying one of my molds to pour a homemade copy! Two wires, inline with each other, that hold four blades instead of two. I've built 4 blade spinners before, but they were all on the same shaft, and I think this design with two shafts may work out better. We will see!

8) Heavycover.com has a great idea - made to order spinnerbaits. Although I won't use them, as I make my own, this is the idea that I would have liked to have got off the ground. I'm sure they will sell a ton, if they are quality baits. Wish I had the time and resourses to do something like this.

9) JDC Baits has a "Skip and Pop" soft plastic topwater popper. I can see using this little jem as a popper between grass clumps and lilly pads that would normally foul up my regular treble hook clad poppers.

10) Lee Sisson has a P-20 crankbait, and several other wooden crankbaits, with circuit board lips - my favorite lip material on a wooden crankbait. I'll have to break down and buy a few to test them out.

11) River2Sea's Crawlin Croaker has to get a once over - I normally don't thow jitterbug style baits, but combined with a soft frog body... well, ok... twist my arm.

12) Southern Lure Company's Bigfoot soft hollow body frog with the plastic paddle legs - kind of looks like a cross between a Scum Frog and a Yum Buzz Frog. I'm buying some of these.

13) Terminator Lures has a Hybrid Blade spinnerbait / buzzbait lure. I'll buy one of these to check it out. It's definitely different.

In the line of terminal tackle, I have to check out:

1) Bullet Weights (that have the screw lock) now has a tungsten line.

2) Tru-Tunsten is now offering the screw lock weight in it's design.

Anyone else excited???

All the best,

Glenn

I can vouch for HeavyCover spinnerbaits. You design you weight, color, and style. They are reasonably priced and quickly mailed out. I like the idea of producing any type of combo you want for the same price. There are literally millions of combinations to make up. They are a quality bait. I have 5 currently but thinking about getting some more.

NoCAL

They sure are the talk...and of course I'm a big SB fan so they'll be in my 07' lineup.

I've decided to make a few of my own brew this winter....I know what those smallmouth like and it never fails the ones I need are not on the shelf or can't be ordered:(

I also want to design one that's a 5/8 oz. rig but, compact and the same color combination to hit deep ledges.

I have a ton of the LedgeBuster SB's but, jeezy....try throwin' one of those 1 oz. or better for awhile or it being windy:wacko:

Also it seems a SM only needs a 4 1/2 or 5 at biggest blade...so I think for what $ I have tied up in the LB's....I'll modify those also because they are a good quality.

I started my own spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, and jigs years ago, and it is very rewarding. Lately, I carry around a box of pre-assembled lures, ready to go, but I also carry around a box containing just various size heads of different colors (mostly white, white / chartruese, chartuese, black or gold), a box containing every size blade I use in gold and nickel, and a small skirt box with some pre-made skirts of every color I use. That way, I'm never without the spinnerbait I want..... but then again - I have "Old Standby" on most all the time (3/8 oz white / chartuese head and skirt with a nickel Colorado blade and a gold Willowleaf). :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Here's one that has caught a TON of SM for me and some big ol' greenfish too:cool:

spinner.jpg

Alpha Shiner with that lil' silver wadding;)

Actually the blades are backwards to what I like...Gold willow for me

I only ever need one lure anymore(besides the flying lure:p) and thats the Gulp smelt

Y'all can cross the Yamamoto Flappin Hawg (cross between a creature bait and a sweet beaver) off your list, they have all been re-called. Patent probelem. For those that have them, hang the bags up because they will be collectors items!! As Glen said, the new swimmin senko looks really good (I've gotta get an order in) as well as a new fluke type bait that they have come out with.

TOXIC

On edit......Here is the "OFFICIAL" explination of the Flappin Hawg recall, I just now got it....

Tox,

I was just about to email you to ask about the Flappin' Hog problem, but I just read your above post, and most (not all) of my questions have been answered. I really don't need to know the answer to my last question... it's just curiosity that has me thinking "who's patent was accidentally (I'm sure Yamamoto wouldn't purposely do that) violated?" It's not exactly a Brush Hog, and not exactly a Sweet Beaver, and I sure would like to get my hands on some.

All the best,

Glenn

Tox, I purchased about a dozen bags and recieved prior to this notice. I guess I will hang on to them, who am I kidding, knowing me I'll use them anyway if they catch fish.

Buzz

They will catch fish alright but IMHO no better or worse than the baits they imitate. That is from my limited use of them. I liked them because of the thick body and the flappin, sweet beaver style claws but they ain't no senko!!:lol::lol::lol:

TOXIC

Hey Tox....Did you check the big SM in last months issue of Bassmaster?

Look in the back and two nice toads were caught on the same day, same lure at different locations by two different people....interesting info on the Stingray Grub.;)

One guide pushes the Stingray grub heavy on the Potomac. He uses the Avacado Green color. I dunno if it's the truth or hype. KB is the grub master. I used to throw a 3 inch Kalin's Smoke/Salt & Pepper grub on a 1/16th oz. leadhead jig as my go to bait for smallies on the Shennandoah River and I literally tore them up.....I've caught a lot of big heads on them over the years but never considered them a go to bait for largemouth. I do throw a lot of Yamamoto skirted/hula/twin & single tail grubs. Lot more plastic than the Kalins.

TOXIC

I just came from BPS where I bought a bag of Yamamoto Flappin' Hog's...Green Pumpkin. I don't know weather to fish with them or call Christy's. :rolleyes:

I sure don't see any patent infringement there, that isn't being infringed by half a dozen other manufacutrers.

Harpo

Latest posts

Back