New Product

• Thread starter Scott Hammer TOXIC
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Thought I would give my friends here a little "heads-up" on the new SPRO crankbaits. As Teri noted, Bass Pro is back ordered on all of the Little John Cranks right now. My guess is that it is more of a production issue rather than demand......but......that is going to change, I promise you that. I am not an avid crankbait fisherman so, when Gunny and I hit the lake Sunday (different boats), I tossed him one of my samples of the Little John. He took off a LuckyCraft to give it a try. 4 casts 2 fish as we worked away from each other. Not bad I thought. We parted company and me and my new Senko proto-type went different directions. I ended up going to a bridge to drop shot a little and Gunny pulls up about an hour later and tells me that the crank is amazing, he had been sticking fish all morning with it. Long story short, my trolling motor broke a steering cable (yes, after I talked it up in another thread!!) and I was heading out to leave when he caught up to me at the dock. 13 fish, 2 Stripers on the crank. Folks, this little crank is the real deal. Here's what I noticed when I thew it.

1. The Rattle. Very unique, it is more of a "thump" than a rattle

2. The Action. Perfect wobble. Bridges the gap between cold water cranks and warm water cranks.

3. The Colors. What can I say, SPRO quality. Very realistic and unique.

4. Castability. I threw it on 17lb Fluro (I didn't want to lose one) and it cast great.

5. Snag Proof. I put it in wood and rocks and it came out every time.

6. Durability. I water slapped leaves and wood off the hooks with no damage. After dragging them through the roughest cover we could find AND catching a ton of fish (including Stripers), the bill was intact and the paint was 100 percent. This was always my complaint with SPRO cranks, broken bills.

It did helicopter a little on some of the casts but it didn't seem to affect the distance. It was windy also.

These are worth keeping your eye open for when you can find them. I don't talk up many baits (other than Senkos). Give them a shot and let me know how they perform. I know I'll be putting my order in soon and I will be picking more up.

Also, for those that might be in the market for a trolling motor, Tracker Marine Store on Ebay has 70lb thrust 12/24v, Motorguides (15 left) for $270 + shipping (make sure you read why). No mount. I talked to a local trolling motor guy (ordering a new cable for mine) and he said that is a great deal. I bought one. I'll fix mine and use it as a spare.

TOXIC

Toxic, I looked for Tracker Marine Store on E bay and could not find anything. What was I doing wrong? I am looking for a trolling motor and would like to see what they have in 12 volt. Thanks. Beck

toxic,

where were you and gunny fishing? the hot side? who is going to carry them locally?

mike c

Mike,

I would ask at Gander, Dicks and Greentop to see if and when they will be coming in. SPRO is not big in the small mom & pops unless it is their swivels but you could check some of the smaller venues but if Bass Pro can't get them I doubt smaller stores would. I'll check at the BPS in Hampton when I am there to see what their stocking schedule is.

TOXIC

Dick's Sporting Goods is starting to carry Spro...don't know about the cranks but, I'll surely keep an eye out for em' Tox cause I like them wobblers;)

Tox,

BPS Hampton does not have them in stock, and the guys in the fishing department didn't know if they were going to get them or not - but one of the guys was having some transfered in from another store for me - suppposedly - havn't seen or heard anything yet. He also was going to tell the fishing department manager about them, as he said he has been getting a lot of request for them.

Greentop does not have them. I checked this past weekend. They couldn't tell me whether or not they were going to get them either, but one of the guys behind the counter did write down the name and said he would mention it to the owners / managers. He said they "probably would get them soon", but couldn't tell me when.

Dicks in Hampton does not have them as of this weekend. No info available.

Gander Mountain, right down the street from Greentop, does not have them either. The employees didn't know what to tell me about availability, and they didn't write it down or anything - just went back to stocking shelves.

Mail order - no luck so far in any of the colors I want. Contemplating just buying some anyway and repainting them to the colors I do want.... but that would be hard to do for my primary "want", as it is semi-transparent. :p

I haven't wanted to get ahold of a crankbait this bad in a LONG time - and I'm a crankbait freak. I love throwing the things... but seldom do I get this excited over a new lure. :wub:

SPRO... HURRY UP! I'M DYING OUT HERE! :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

thanks for the info on that bait Toxic. According to their website a local shop here in Atlanta has them... Hammonds at Lake Lanier. Looks like a shopping trip! Right after I go to BassPro to register for the Z-7 they are givin away!:D

Looks like Glenn better be scouring the net!!:lol::lol: No doubt he already has!! Leave it to him to contact every retailer within a 100 mile radius!!LOL!! Makes me wonder if I can get anymore myself??:huh: Forgot to mention to Mike, we were in pool 3 of the hot side and water was 54 degrees!! Not hot!! If Gunny ever checks in here he'll give the details. I didn't really throw it a lot until my TM conked out, I tied my boat up at the dock, and went out with him. Keep in mind, the only color we threw was "Cell Mate". There are a bunch more. Some have a clear/irridesent color base and some are solid painted (Old Fire Tiger for ex.).

TOXIC

I just ordered some this morning from Cabela's which said they were in stock. I ordered 2 rootbeer.chart and 2 cell mate (per Toxic's recommendation).

That Blood Craw looks friggin' awesome...ordering mine today;)

Beck, I have a Motorguide 12V 46lb sitting in my garage if you are interested.

COME ON TOX!!! Dang man I told you to keep your mouth shut!!!:lol: That's going to be my little secret weapon this year, and now you went an spoiled it!!!!:lol:

Really guys this is a crankbait you want in your box!! I have already become my favorite bait!!!!

I am waiting for some as we speak....

Have yall tried the Lucky Craft RC line of crankbaits from Bass Pro? Smallie killers!

Teri did you order them from the catalog or from the store? I can't find them in the catalog:wacko:

Mini,

I have several RC 1.5's and 2.5's. Just picked up a couple of 3.5's the other day, and have been eyeing the .5's at BPS Hampton as well. Great lures... expensive though. Other than those, the Pointers are the only LC baits I liked for the price. The rest of them didn't perform like $14 crankbaits should. :lol: Where did you order your's from?

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn, I saw the Cabelas near my home has some. If you want let me know specifics on what you want and if they have them I will pick them up for you and send them to you. Beck

Greg, I ordered them a www.cabelas.com. I did a search on Spro Little John and they came up. Hope that helps!

I like Cabelas - a lot. However, I've had some issues with ordering "in stock" items from them lately. They are "in stock" when I hit "submit order", but then the box shows up at my house with "backordered" on several items. I called them on it more than once. They apologized... but then it happened again, so I'm trying to find a "sure thing". I think I've found it with Beck trying to get them in his local store for me. "Hands on" always works better than a computer saying "in stock". :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

I will let you know if I get them. My email said 1/17 so we will see.

I have them in 1.5, 2.5 & 3.5 in both depths. Of course they all came from Springfield, MO :)

Have you tried the Staysee? The CB Series? Splash Minnow? All good baits.

I haven't tried the Staysee - I usually don't use jerkbaits that deep... but I probably should get one or two and give them a try, as there have been some times I wished I had something different than the spoonbill Rebel's I was trying to throw.

The CB series I've tried the Moonsault CB-200 and the CB-50. Didn't do too well on either size, in either of the two colors I had. I think I still have one of the CB-200's, and recently got rid of the CB-50's I had. I just picked up some of the Fat CB SSR's in a maroon-looking color. It almost looks like the color "Mad Craw", but darker, and I haven't thrown them yet. I'd like to try out a few in their "Ghost Watermelon Craw" color, but haven't come across them anywhere to buy one.

What is the "Splash Minnow"? I've seen a Splash Tail and a Flash Minnow - neither of which I cared for much.

I think the lures I've been most disappointed with in their line is the G-Splash. I was expecting much more from this lure, and bought several. They are tackle-box queens, as they never seem to catch anywhere close to the amount of fish that I catch with my Yellow Magic topwaters. I'm also a bit disappointed with the Sammy. I have heard so many people that love that lure, but I've done much better with a Super Spook Jr. I can walk the SS JR a lot easier than I can walk a Sammy too, which suprised me. I still fish the Sammy, but I use it more as a "finesse" type walking bait. When I want to wake them up and call them to breakfast, the SS JR. is on the line. :lol:

I also found the Live Pointer to be a huge disappointment. As well as I do on Pointers, I figured the "Live" Pointer would do better - nope. I can outfish a Live Pointer with a regular Pointer most every day by a large margin.

I haven't tried the deeper depth 1.5, 2.5, 3.5 yet. But I've torn them up pretty good on the 1.5 and 2.5 regular depth.

All the best,

Glenn

A couple of questions on the little john cranks. Are they sinkers, floaters or does it suspend? Also what depth to they dive to if they don't sink. Just curious. I'm ordering some anyway. I'll try them here in Havasu.

Just ordered from Cabelas, no problem, boy I sure love havin those Cabela points.

They are floaters but they "walk up" backwards s-l-o-w-l-y if that makes any sence????

Here's the scoop from the site.

Little John Crankbaits

[SLJ50] $12.60

(Weight 1/2 oz., Size 50mm)

"We built the SPRO Little John crankbaits to run at depths of 3 to 5 feet. We used a computer chip board for the lip to create more feel and to be more durable. A silent weight transfer system using soft tungsten translates into incredibly long casts for a small crankbait, even in windy conditions. We used the world's sharpest trebles - Gamakatsu. I think the SpRO "Little John" crankbaits are the best shallow running crankbaits, period."

- John Crews, Professional Tournament Angler

http://www.spro.com/products/product_info.php?products_id=112

Thanks Toxic, I'll have to check out their web site. Cabelas price is $10.99.

Walks up slowly backwards, it does make sense I understand, Thanks Again!

Flash Minnow is it, not splash minnow.

That was the first LC bait I owned. Tore em up on it too. It has the same brass internal belly weight as the pointer but when you stop the bait on a pause.....it kinda rocks there for a bit. I dont do as well with it as of late (last year) but I started throwing bigger (128) pointers too.

Another one that flys under the radar is the XPS Pro Series jerbaits. They used to be under the BASSMASTER branding....once the BASSMASTER agreement was over, BPS branded them XPS. Awesome jerkbait. Esp the perch color around here :)

Just a little update on the Little John's. I've been tradin emails with Tim Norman from SPRO and he tells me that they have ALL the colors. BPS is not ordering them. So, rip the Fishing Manager a new one at your local BPS and tell them to get them ordered. Otherwise order from SPRO direct.

TOXIC

Mini,

I've used quite a bit of XPS branded stuff in recent years - jerkbaits included. I've done fairly well on several of their offerings. For the prices, they have some very nice lures. I particularly liked their XPS "Z-Pop" for only $4, and I have several ... although I noticed this year that the "Professional" series is $7. I might be tempted, but I'm skeptical. It takes a lot to get me away from my favorite topwaters. Now if the "Professional" version wasn't almost twice the cost of the Z-Pop, I probably would have already bought one.

Tox,

What do you mean Bass Pro isn't ordering them? The retail stores? Or the company as a whole? I know they have them in the online catalog, but most every one of them is "out of stock". The Hampton store computer showed several stores that had a few different colors, but nothing I was searching for. I'd be happy to "rip the Fishing Manager a new one". Sounds like a fun new sport! :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Bass Pro Shop has them for $10.99 and they don't say they are short of them. BUT, I'm certainly not tight by any means but I refuse to spend $11.00 on any kind of crankbait when I personally think there are Big-O's, Bagley Balsa-B's, Lee Sisson Balsa/wood Baits, or even some of the Norman lures that will match the Spro's if fished correctly and they cost less than half of those others. I'm sure they're great or Toxic and Gunny wouldn't say they were.

It's on me. I can't buy one of those when I can buy two of another I have faith in. Now, WHEN I hit the lottery, I just might buy some of those to go along with the Spro Hat Toxic gave me:p

Uncle Billy
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...artNumber=104150&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=Sear

Uncle Billy,

Click on your link and look for the red asterisk. Read the note below them -

"* Items with an asterisk are low in stock and may need to be back ordered."

Most every color, up until yesterday, had a red asterisk on it. Today, it's just two of the three colors that I wanted - Spooky Shad and Old Firetiger. :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

maybe i can find them at one of the shows comming up. toxic, whats your show schedule? and when are we going to hit the cold side? How about you carlos, looks like you will be there at the end of march?

mike c

Glenn, Tim made it sound like BPS Corporate was not ordering them which then limits the individual stores from getting them. I'm not privy to how the BPS distribution model works but normally, the bulk supplier product is warehoused in distribution centers who then ship and stock the stores. I know Gander Mountain has the ability to "hot ticket" baits and buy direct from the suppliers. You rag on the Store Manager (or Fishing Department Manager) he then calls Corporate enough times wanting to know why he can't get the baits from the warehouse and voila....they start the ordering process....just a guess on my part.

Uncle Billy. Didn't we learn a valuable lesson with the Senko and knockoffs?;) Sometimes a bait is worth it's price. Look at this crank in person before you write it off as just too expensive. The website does it no justice as far as paintjob. You gotta see them in person. The bill is circut board and tough, Gamakatsu hooks, soft Tungsten internal weight/rattle (personally, I've never heard of that before on other cranks). Everything on this bait is top-shelf. I'm not a big crank thrower but I rely on guys like Glenn and Gunny who throw them a lot to tell me if they are worth a hoot. Glenn had contacted me before I even got my samples. I'm sure if he could get the job done with a cheaper bait, he would do it. AND....tell the world:lol:

Mike, I'll be at the Raceway complex in richmond the 25th and 26th. I am always subject to getting called by someone to do a show. Right now I'd like to get a truckload of these cranks and hit the show trail. I'd make a ton-o-cash!!:lol: I'm waitin on my new TM also.

TOXIC

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks Tox. Looking forward to meeting up with you at the shows. Are we still taking KB out to the "country bar"? :lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Got an email from Cabelas that mine were shipped yesterday.

Uncle Bill, I agree with you about $10.99. I will likely stick to my Bandit cranks because they are cheaper and I lose alot of them. However, any bait that helps me kick my neighbors a$$ fishing is worth a shot for $10.99. But when I get it stuck on something, I am not above snorkling. :D

I've been really turned off by the recent massive rise in fishing lure costs - BUT... if something works, then I am able to choke down the cost a bit easier.

Lucky Craft, although very quality made lures, along with other companies like Daiwa, are the companies I blame for the large rise in costs lately. Although they make some awesome baits, the "reasoning" behind the advertised costs is "not adding up" to me. Years ago, I spoke to someone at Daiwa about the high price of the TD Minnow - a great twitching lure that will fill out a limit quickly... but at a cost of $15 to $18 each. They started telling me about the painstakingly expensive processes that goes into the finish on each lure, yada, yada, yada. I believed all of that hubub, and just assumed it was the same for Lucky Craft - the high cost of making the finish.

But then I see companies like Manns. Their Baby 1-Minus crankbait, one of my all time favorites for fishing around and over grass on Potomac, costs $4. I can remember paying $3 for them a few years ago, so a dollar extra isn't that much to complain about for a bait that I know works. But then they came out with their new "Elite series". Cost? $4. :wub: Have you seen the finishes on the Elite series??? Their Chartruese Shad looks awesome (and catches fish too!) Ooooo... lookie here - some of the same NAMES as the Lucky Craft baits too... "Aurora Black", "American Shad", "Chartruese Shad". OK, I won't go overboard - the finishes on the Lucky Craft baits are nicer. I have to admit that. But $12 nicer? Hmmm... I have a hard time choking that one down - unless we are talking about a Pointer... and L/C doesn't currently make what I would consider a "replacement" for a Baby 1-Minus. :p

While we are on the subject of cost comparison and rising costs... lets talk about another stellar company that I've been impressed with - Strike King. Their "Pro Model" crankbait is STILL under $4. Actually, $3.69 at Bass Pro Shops. Way to go Strike King! They recently got some business from me, and will continue to do so. When KVD announced the "Sexy Shad" color as being the one he used in the two tournaments, I thought "Oh, here we go... Strike King crankbaits are going up this year". NOPE! Just another addition to an already awesome looking lineup.

Bandit crankbaits are now $4.50. Not too bad on price, but I've been unimpressed with the quality lately. My old ones outfish my new ones by a large margin. I stopped buying new Bandits, as I'm just not happy with the quality anymore. The only time I buy a Bandit crankbait is if I run across one in a "mom and pop" tackle store that has the Triple Grip trebles on it - I know it's an older one, and so I'll buy it.

DISAPPOINTING is the new version of the Rat-L-Traps. I've been paying $3 to $4 each for Rat-L-Traps for years. This year, Bill Lewis comes out with their new premium Vibra-Traps. OK - they got my attention. I was all set to buy some when I saw the price tag - $13!!! Don't get me wrong - I'll buy one.... ONE... to test. But if I don't see a HUGE improvement (and I'm not anticipating I will) over the regular Rat-L-Traps, you won't see more than one in my tackle box. The thing that really suprised me - its a $13 bait with Eagle Claw hooks! Don't get me wrong folks - I'm really not trying to bash on Eagle Claw - but for $13, I think we can expect a Mustad, Gamakatsu, or Owner premium hook on there - not a "Laser Sharp" Eagle Claw hook. :blink:

OK.. I'll stop for now. I have a laundry list of comments, but I don't want to bore Toxic to death with another Pulitzer Prize winning essay, so I'll stop here. :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Hey Glenn,

I did notice the announcement but these old eyes just didn't see the red asterick's.:wacko: I think the newer Bandits are made in China. I have quite a few of the older ones but will also buy some more if I see them anywhere. I've never liked Lucky Craft except for the topwater Sammy's.

Tox, I've never used knock off Senko's, and certainly a Big-O or Balsa-B can't be considered a knockoff from the new Spro crankbait. More likely the other way around but built with better parts, etc.. I seem to remember saying "I'm sure they're great or Toxic and Gunny wouldn't say they were."

That has to do for now because I had written an encyclopedia in response (like usual) to you and then when I went to answer or comment on something Glenn wrote I pushed the

^#^())@$$^&#$@ BACK button instead of just scanning up the page...Ahhhhh, youth is wasted on the young:p

Uncle Billy

ever since bandit was sold a few years ago the quality has gone down hill.

as for lucky craft, i cant justify spending that much for a lure that i dont catch fish on,like the live pointer. but i cant wait to find the crews crank and give it a throw.

mike c

see you at the show toxic

Unk.....You missed my point, I wasn't knocking you. I said that "we" learned a lesson from knockoffs. Usually knockoffs don't work as well as originals in some baits. I didn't imply that the Little John was a knock off. From what I can tell there aren't any other that are like it (including Big-O or Balsa-B). My point was, don't let price deter you from a bait that works...like the Senko.....I'm waiting with baited breath to see how these cranks work for everybody else and you can bet I'll let SPRO know. So far the feedback has been nothing but positive meaning..."worth the price" in my book. If I had to say one thing that makes them different or makes them work better, it is the soft tungsten thumper weight...it's a new sound.

TOXIC

Toxic - LOL on "baited breath"! You been chewin' on Senkos? Maybe that's your secret. You chew on them before you put them on the hook. Must be a great attractant! :lol::lol::lol:

Gonna be awful hard to beat the original rattle trap to make me pay $13 @%*%$@! bucks for one. Especially when I can pick up a goldblack one for $3.69 and whack'em!!

I'm glad I 'm not the only one who picked up on the "baited breath" comment and chuckled out loud!LOL!

Tim

'm glad I 'm not the only one who picked up on the "baited breath" comment and chuckled out loud!LOL!

God...I missed it, I MISSED IT!!:(:wacko: I don't believe I did that! So that's it. I don't have to worry about high priced lures anymore because I have my head in the

oven. <big sigh>

Toxic, you missed my point too!:lol::lol: I know you weren't knocking me and I didn't mean for it to come out that way if it did.. AND, while I'm arguing over the price of a crankbait when I use Senko's instead of cheaper knockoffs kinda defeats my own stance..

I'll be waiting with baited breath too Scott though I probably will get a couple before then. <crumbling like a cheap suitcase:rolleyes:> I'd love to get hold of one just to

shake it to hear what it sounds like. As for knockoffs, I don't think they EVER work as well as the original. They cut too many corners to keep the price down.

Again, I didn't mean to imply you were knocking me or anything like that. I'll try them and hope they're the magic crankbait for me but I still think $10.99 is too much for a lure. So, stop reading things in my inane incoherent ramblings will ya?:unsure::)

Uncle Billy

Point taken, I agree, they are pricey.......just like Senko's!!!:lol::lol: I'm gonna try to get out Monday and throw them again and see if I can duplicate the results!!:p My new trolling motor got here today and was pretty much a "plug and play" install so I'm back in business!! It's got some different features than my old one....Where mine was a 12/24 switch, I now have a setting for "constant on", "full power" when you hit the peddle switch or normal operation. Can't say as I ever used the 12/24 option on my old one. Also has no "off" position on what used to be the 12/24 switch. Gotta remember to unplug that thing every time it goes under the cover!!

If anybody is looking at those trollers on ebay, they are a GREAT deal, the one I got just has a little cosmetic scale on the shaft bearing cover. And for that you get it for about 1/3 the price of a new one. Wish I could find these deals everyday.

TOXIC

Toxic, Those trolling motors are without the mounts right? I'd have to see what mount it needs and if I can get one before I add another battery to my boat..

Also, what worries me more than anything....How did the font size get so big on my last post:huh: or is it just me seeing it?

Uncle Billy

Uncle Billy - The eyes are the second thing to go!

Tox - I am heading out on Sunday morning if you want to join in. Very little wind and a high of 51. Rain coming in during the late afternoon. Let me know and MAYBE I'll wait for you. Ha ha

Bass Pro Shops called me today and wants me to do a show tomorrow otherwise I would have opted for it instead of Monday....Oh well, the life of a "rented mule":lol:. One less I gotta do to fulfill my contract. Don't get me wrong....I ain't complainin' :p

TOXIC

Okay on the show. Will let you know how I did on Sunday. Went out on Wednesday but it was a little slow before the rain drove me back in. Picked up about a dozen with the biggest about 3 pounds. Dike 2 is still hot from one end to the other, but more on the far end in shallower water. Water temps down in the low 60s at dike 2 and upper 50s in lagoon 3. Picked up a few off the drop shot channel in lagoon three. Seemed like the current was running backwards along that long bulkhead. Goood luck on Monday! Enjoy the new troller.

Didn't make it out. Had to get the truck in the Dealership. Intermediate steering shaft rattle...warranty fix.....rear seat middle seatbelt hook.....warranty fix (recall)....gage cluster...warranty fix. I was holding off but the gage cluster mess finally got to my speedo and pegged it at 120:eek: Had to use my GPS for speed. Had a passanger side door popping really loud when you close it also. Kudo's to Chevy everything was fixed free (not the door) even though it is a 2004 with 58k on it.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back