Mr. Do It Yourself

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John McManus

Reaction score
I thought I would share my trailer hitch installation experience with the members of the board. I recently bought a 2003 NX750DC that I am waiting on so I figured I would try and save some money and install the hitch on my Explorer myself. The guy in town wanted $300 and I got the same hitch and parts for $130 so I figured it was worth the shot. I didn't realize that the fact that the Explorer had been rear-ended a few years ago would effect the fit of the hitch so much. It took FIVE LONG HOURS to make it fit along with two come-alongs three union laborers and a front- end loader!!! I finished the job and wired the harness. I went to put the spare tire back under the car and guess what??? the spare tire winch decided it's life was over. $66 and a trip to the dealer and this nightmare finally ended. The moral of the story is "Pay the money and let the pros handle it"

There is a saying that applies here; "When it comes to DIY projects...Mr. Murphy was an optimist!"

I installed a reese on my old tow vehicle (now deceased do to wife going off road to miss a dog, it lived truck hit old oak tree, ranger lost). it took me about 30 minutes and a couple of bruised knuckles. It usually isnt that bad unless you run into a problem like you had (sorry about that, seems you got some of my usual luck).

Dink -

So! It was your wife who was the inspiration for the insurance company commercial with the two squirrels? :^)

me!

sometimes the best thing is doing it yourself.then you know its done right.

i took my areostar to a midas muffler shop to get shocks put on it,i had no oxygen for my tourches and they had a free install on the shocks.great for all involved.but the bad thing is they didnt put the right bolts back in the shocks,they were too small and come loose,made a clunking noise when hittng a bump.and besides it took them 3 hrs to put the shocks on!i went and told them about it,get this,they had to order the right bolts from ford for the shocks!

di i go back to let them replace them?NOPE! sold the van 2 weeks later!

Latest posts

Back