Problem With Trail Star Trailer On My V-175 Pro Guide Combo

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TundraBob

Reaction score
I bought a new 2018 Pro Guide V-175 Combo last August from Berkeley Outdoors in Moncks Corner South Carolina for peace of mind in having a warranty and thinking that if the boat had issues it would get resolved rather quickly at the dealership where I spent a bunch of money. To my disappointment, this has not been the case. I hauled my boat to the dealership more times than I did to the water last year because of hydraulic trim issues and because I felt as if the trailer bounced erratically when hitting a bump or railroad tracks and other minor issues. When the trailer took a bump I could watch the right side tire look like someone was dribbling a basketball. After purchasing the boat, I literally took it back to the dealer the day after I bought it with this issue. When filling the tires with air didn't improve the issue they told me it just rode different than other boats I've owned. I've just taken it easy when trailering, but haven't felt confident in trailering since I've owned it. This Spring when getting it ready for the season I noticed that the right side tire was disproportionately close to the rear side of the fender. I checked the left side and there was even clearance from front to back. The right fender was so close to the tire on the rear side of the fender that I couldn't get a finger between the edge of the fender and the tire. After identifying this, I took it back to the dealer who did some more reviewing. They found the tire had been hitting the top of the inner fender and notified the manufacturer who said there was a service bulletin on the issue and recommended a new shackle kit for the fender. The dealer installed the new shackle kit which they said was really already in place on the trailer and the new shackle did not fix the issue. It would seem to me to be a weak leaf spring issue, but I'm not the mechanic. The manufacturers next recommendation was to remove the fender and the fender step, drill new holes in the trailer and repositiion it. I personally don't think this is an acceptable solution as it would then have one side uneven from the other and the rear step would hang beyond the end of the trailer frame on the right sight. That may not hurt anything, but doesn't seem like an acceptable way to fix the issue to me. The dealer has asked the manufacturer to replace the trailer. Now, the manufactuer wants to take the boat and trailer back to the factory to fix. I'm disagreeable to that because I don't think they should take the boat, but should give me a loaner trailer to use the boat while my trailer is being returned. Any suggestions or similar issues that anyone has had and how did it get resolved? I'm actually thinking about taking it to a local trailer shop to see what they may recommend.

Thanks Major. I contacted a local trailer shop last week and will be taking it in to have them go over it. I really appreciate your reply. Thanks again.

Not sure if this applies but my new Nitro 2018 Z18 dual axle trailer had warped rims. They were not correctly aligned when welded together aka Chinese manufactured. Looking at the backside of the rims revealed terrible welds. The entire boat vibrated to an excess. The trolling motor was visibly jumping at 60 plus MPH
The dealer did replace the rims and tires from another trailer. The new rims are much better but the tires (Carlisle) lack much to be desired. I had the replacement wheels road force balanced to improve the ride. It helped.
Vic

Thanks Kerz, hopefully the trailer shop will be able to tell me something. Scheduled to take it in tomorrow.

Took it to the trailer shop today. They said the leaf spring mounts weren't square and that's causing the axle to be about a 1/2" off center. They recommended to try and have the manufacturer replace it with a new one. They said if they repair it then it needs to be re-powder coated after the welds for the leaf springs are moved and they should put on a new tire since it's wearing on the outside edge.

I have had a problem with my winch roller, making contact with my trolling motor, when i go to load and unload the boat. I am afraid its going to damage my hull or trolling motor, because the upper roller, slams hard into the bottom of the deck. I have tried sliding the hoist, further forward and back, but nothing helps ? i may have to cut the bottom off my hoist bracket off? Its a nitro185 with a matching nitro trailer, very low hours of use.

Tony,
I had same issue with my Z7Sport. The problem was finally identified. The bunk brackets were to low. I ended up putting aluminum spacers between the front bunk braces and bunks. This raised the bow enough to clear the roller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back