Moving to the Dark Side . . . .

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, it's not completely final as yet, but should be in the next few days. I'm going to move to the 'Dark Side', and see what it's like to fish for them basses from a glass boat.

Found a real nice Stratos 278 in Woodstock, GA this week. My Chief Inspector and Tester - the infamous TrepMan - has been doing the Q/A on it. Pending a successful test run (again by my Chief Tester), we will finalize the deal.

Don't have any good pictures as yet, but I may be able to borrow one from the internet. TrepMan gave it a thumbs up last night. So the other news is that I'll be posting up my Targa later today for sale.

Tex

Got a picture, though it doesn't show the boat all that well.
Stratos_GA_04102003.jpg

That's RIGHT Sports Fans - On Friday late afternoon, TREPMAN will be test driving the above mentioned 60mph 150hp 18ft GLASS Sled!!! I've always wanted to drive a 150hp!! I've driven Rich's 115hp 700lx with the hotfot, but this one has the steering wheel trim too! Heck with my dry weight I bet i'll hit 70mph!!!

Any suggestions from those more experienced then me (That's pretty much EVERYONE) on what to look for in a test drive? I checked the boat out last night for Tex and cosmeticaly it looks great for an 8 year old boat. It needs one hatch re-carpeted but that's it. I saw no hanging wires or jerry-rigged items. Didn't see any stress crack and the hull is white so it was easy to see the few scratches.

Any advise to make sure I check it out good for Tex would be appreciated!

Crawl underneath and look at the pad....Check the trailer bunks and carpet.....all divider walls in the hull (livewell walls, rod bunks, etc.)...bounce on the decking to make sure it is not "soft" (especially in the high traffic areas) AND...Tex needs to take it to a mechanic and have the motor checked out (compression test, etc.). I'm sellin my 929 and I would expect a buyer to do that.

TOXIC

and make sure there are no jar jar hats anywhere in the boat, sure sign of abuse.

That looks like fun!

Trep, make sure you pay attention to performance issues when it's loaded up. If at all possible, go out with a full tank of gas, and then fill up the livewell. Then check the holeshot and the ride over some chop with different trim settings. Hopefully, the water won't be glass smooth when you are out.

Tex, that motor is at the age where a motor compression test is a good idea. I think you would be wise to make a satisfactory mechanical inspection by an OMC qualified shop a condition of the deal.

CORRECTION....you are leaving the dark side!! Glass boats sparkle, remember!!

Trep,

I doubt you'll drive that boat to 70mph....or even 60 for that matter. I have the feeling that you will experience something called chine walk. Don't be afraid though, there's nothing wrong with the boat, they are all different to drive and it takes a bit of time to learn, but the first timers typically hate the first rides.

Good Luck

Pierre

Rich and Tox - Thanks guys, keep the idea's comming, i'm gonna drive/check it out on the water tomorrow (friday) night.

Tox - Your Comment "bounce on the decking to make sure it is not "soft" i'm gonna have to stuff my pocket with all my Lead jigs!!! LOL

Pierre - NOW, if Dan J. had let me drive that 929 i'd be ALL ready!!!

I'm not looking to run it to the edge, just want to make sure it starts, all controls work fine, it planes and check ride at different speeds to make sure the motor purrs the steering/hotfot feel OK.

Tex,

The Information Minister of Iraq states that you are not going to a glass rig, it is all propaganda made up by the lying glass infidels.

Rich D

All in time, grasshopper! LOL!! Seriously though, please be very careful. The boat you'll be in is quite a bit different than what you're familiar with. Take your time and I suggest letting the owner drive it first to see his handling of the boat and his nature of care behind the wheel. It can tell you volumes of how the boat has been cared for. Enjoy yourself, but put it through the paces under full load as Rich recomended. Also, for whoever is looking at a used boat, get a trusted mechanic to give it a look before exchanging any money. (for compression, L/U gear wear, wiring condition, etc.) Take care!

Good man Tex. Welcome to the right side of the tracks! LOL

Latest posts

Back