Back from the dark side

• Thread starter John Watts [URL]http://www.coastalbuilders.com/kin
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Watts

Reaction score
Hi gang, it's been a while since I posted here, but I thought I would bring you up to date. In the tin vs glass debate I have finally come down firmly on the side of tin. My first "real boat" and what lead me to this site was my 2003 Tracker Targa 18 (which I still have and use):

targa2.jpg

This boat has been virtually trouble free even though it sees regular saltwater use - I flush the motor EVERY time and hose down the boat, then it's ready to go again at a moments notice. I then decided I wanted something bigger that could handle the bay on days that my Tracker would not, so bought the used fiberglass monster, a Pro-line 2950:

chesbaymag_SM.jpg

I've had it for the last three years and although I've had some good fishing days and family days on the boat, it has spent more time in the shop than on the water. Not really a glass issue, but I also had my fill of washing, waxing, buffing, worrying about who is wearing what shoes, worrying about dock rash, high fuel consumption, etc. So finally my second happiest day with that boat came, I sold it. All this time I would have to break out the trusty Tracker whenever I wanted to boat or fish, still trouble free and a lot of fun.

I finally decided I wanted the carefree nature of the aluminum boat, but with some of the family friendly features we had on the Proline (berth, head, etc.) After looking a lot on line and in the VA/MD area I found that what I wanted just was not available. So finally my wife and I attended the Seattle boat show this January. Out west there are tons of just the type of boat I was looking for - aluminum construction, built for offshore use, set up for hard core fishing but still family friendly. So, we finally settled on this one:

kingfisher 004.jpg

It's a 27 foot Harbercraft Kingfisher, built in British Columbia, and is one of the most popular fishing boats used in that area and Alaska. Due to it's light weight it is trailerable without having to have a super heavy duty truck, and it's fuel efficient on the water. It has a Verado 250 main motor which so far is the greatest thing since sliced bread - super quiet, fast, and with the electronic throttle and shift a pure pleasure to drive. Now I just pull the boat onto my lift, flush the motor, hose it down, and I'm done until next time. Plus, with the diesel cabin heater (a standard item out west) we can use it year round - we have been out boating and fishing on the York River for the last month in complete comfort. I don't think I'll ever go back to the typical glass monster we have out here. If you want to see all the specs and more pictures I put together this web page:

http://www.coastalbuilders.com/kingfisher/

Regards,

John
http://www.coastalbuilders.com/kingfisher/

Even though I live far from the Columbia River, I am familiar with Harbercraft boats... Great boat, I am genuinely jealous... Congrats...;)

They didn't have the coastal package when I bought the Tracker, that carpet is the one thing I would change about it. As it is now I just hose down the carpet if it needs it, and it keeps it from getting too funky. I do that on the trailer with the plug pulled so the water just runs right out. So far I have had no issues with salt water (knock wood) after 5 years, but I do make sure I hose it down well after each use (including the trailer) and flush the motor.

The galvanized trailer is a must for saltwater use. A painted trailer usually will not last two years once you have dunked it in salt water, even if you wash it down.

Regards,

John

Gotta say you are the first one on this site with that type of boat!! Welcome and I look forward to seeing some of your catches. Heck, I would have needed that boat today IF I had chosen to fish the first tournament of the year!! Come dump her in Lake Anna for some striper!!

TOXIC

Congrats!! Nice boat. I love those Harbercrafts. Not the most visually appealing from the outside, but supposedly one durable boat and pretty nice on the inside. Gotta love that sealed cockpit too!

27'? WoW.. Looks like a great boat!!!! Now, just come on down the Bay, turn right at Thomas Point, go up river till you're staring at the South River Bridge and go left into Warehouse Creek. Go halfway into the creek and blow your horn and I'll be on the end of one of the docks where you can pick me up!:cool::unsure: And then we can go fishing..:lol: Nice rig John, way to go!!

Uncle Billy

OOOOOPSSSsssss: I forgot. Welcome back home from the dark side. Now, stay close, the demons are everywhere.:lol::lol:

It's got a gas kicker instead, actually the Verado at idle doesn't make much more noise than an electric.:D

Latest posts

Back