NSM Day 2

• Thread starter Scott Hammer TOXIC
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
I just couldn't take it. The hot side really punk slapped me Saturday so I decided to go out yesterday since I had the day off. Of course the forcast was cold and winds 15-20. I never try and let the weather dictate my fishing but that's a lot easier to do when you have the right gear. Kudos to BPS and their 100mph suit, it is well worth the $$ (more on that in a sec). Got to the ramp and the winds howling 2+ footers rolling into the ramp and docks. Before I can get the boat off the trailer I have waves crahing over the back deck!! Unload and get over to the docks and remember that they just got rebuilt and there are no cleats on them yet!! Yikes!! Luckily (I thought), the lake is about a foot low right now so the posts under the docks are exposed a little. I thought I would just wrap my dock line around one of the posts and to a cleat on the boat. Sounds like a good plan eh? Well, I'm watching the waves roll in and I think I've got it timed right, so I reach around the post with both arms (can you see where I am going here...) and I just about make it when a wave rolls in and pitches the the boat under the dock and it comes up full force on both of my arms. Boy howdy let me tell you that hurts!! I actually thought I broke my right arm but it still moved only in the direction it was designed!!

I had a good day. I decided to pick apart Elk Creek (since Bill wouldn't give up his honey hole). Caught them on Little John crank, BPS Jerkbait, Senko (of course) and a shakey head rigged with a Yamamoto Pro Style worm. Still couldn't put together a bag that would have ousted Team No Guilt (Sabin/Hamilton) but I probably caught 40 fish.

Now about that 100mph suit. I had to withstand rain, wind and cold all day which was fine but in the afternoon, just about quittin time, I am in a cove at the mouth of Elk Creek and I look out to see some pretty dark clouds rolling in. I raise the hood and get ready for some heavier rain. Off in the distance, I hear what sounds like a jet flying super low.....it gets louder, and louder, and all of a sudden I realize it ain't no jet, it's the wind approaching!! I look out and see a wall of wind and rain coming down the lake. I didn't have time to do anything but hold on and when it got to me I swear there were 50-60 mph winds and raining so hard I couldn't see 20 feet in front of the boat. Almost lost some rods because the wind picked them up and tossed them on the front deck. The boat filled up with leaves that the wind pulled from the ground in the cove!! What was really neat was that right before the front hit, all of a sudden the water started smoking due to the really cold air pushed by the front and some sleet pellets fell. It's a good thing it passed because I could not have gotten the boat trailered in that type of wind!! About 10 minutes of chaos and it was all over and the sun came out!!! I was bone dry!!....and Warm!! Other than a really sore and swollen right forearm from the dock, it was a great day.

TOXIC

Ah the joys of fishing, and my friends wonder why I love it so much.

They just can't understand that catching a hog is well worth pulling hooks from you skin, sunburn in areas that you miss with sunscreen, biting gnats and flies, smashing your arms between the dock and the boat, getting your lure hung up in trees etc, and just standing in the great outdoors in freezing weather, rain, wind and being yelled at by the property owners that also own the water all the while getting skunked or having the big one get off right at the boat! Can't wait for spring to thaw the lakes again and start all over again!

Tox, hope that arm is ok!

Randy!

Tox if you had a Tundra you'd never have noticed the weather.:lol:

fatrap

No matter how bad it seems, remember that being able to walk away after a day like that makes it a good trip.

"Can't measure 'em all by the fish you catch." - Charlie Campbell told me that after he and his co took a barge wake on the St. Lawrence during Bassmaster T. His partner had a deep laceration across his neck and Charlie broke his nose and was knocked unconscious when they were slammed into their consoles after catching air. He gave good reasoning to the main point; arrive alive, preferrably in one piece! ;)

Hey Tox... See, I knew I could begin to make a "walleye guy" out of you! You had a typical day for one of us and now you are getting tough enough to take it!

Keep thinking Green Bay and that kind of wind and weather and you will be ready for lesson #2 in July 2009...:p

Everything was cool until a friend here at work reminded me that it was totally possible that I could have snapped both my arms under the dock. Then what would I have done:eek:? That kind of woke me up a little and reminded me that we have to always use our heads on the water. I should have known better than to reach under there with the boat pitching the way it was. Rough and nasty water doesn't bother me anymore thanks to the MVM and watching a lot of good drivers navigate some nasty stuff as well as getting my feet wet (literally) myself. It's a driving lesson every time you ride with Mini, Mac can smooth out the roughest crap (he doesn't like getting bounced around:lol:), Neeley really showed his skill last year when we had to run across the lake in 4-5 foters (I never even got wet) and CIII is a great rough water driver as well. I wish all boat owners had the opportunity to ride with driver like them and navigate some rough stuff, it just makes you an all around better boat operator. It also makes you know when to leave it at the dock and not even venture out. Meyer you don't count because you have a tractor trailer cab seat suspension system in your tin can:lol::lol: You engineered your way out of it!!

TOXIC

Dont forget the 600% of additional freeboard! That certainly helps with handling and staying dry.

Latest posts

Back