Mounting an external GPS antenna ??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Payne

Reaction score
Ok, so I got my new Lowrance LMS 480, now I have to figure out where to install teh external GPS antenna...

Anyone got any pictures or suggestions on where/how they did theres?

I was kinda thinking about just dropping it behind the windshield, but then I have to figure out where to run the wires thru... I'll be mounting the unit itself next to the console on a ram mount type of thing...

Suggestions, comments appreciated!

Hey Simmy,

Just sent you an email. I guess you just answered 1 of my questions. HaHa

Hey Sim, I was in a friends boat last weekend and he had two gps units, one on the front and one on the consol. I didn't see any antenna, and ask if they were internal and he said he had them under his consol. They would receive the signal through the the fiberglass just fine. I did not know this or would I belive this, unless I had seen it myself. Just something you might think about. Later<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

I mounted mine(via velcro tape so I could remove it in hotel parking lots)on the side of the console where you'd normally mount a remote GPS. My GPS was mounted in the dash, so I had plenty of room. Just make sure you mount it flat..where ever you put it. I put it on the back deck in the rear corner on my 896 and up by the console on my 901. You can also mount it right behind the drivers seat on the deck....just put it in a place where it won't get stepped on.

i have last years model of the same unit, lms320. it is a great unit. i love it. i mounted my gps module on the grab bar above the winshield on my center console. the actual unit is mounted with a ram mount to the same bar. i don't even have to use the extension wire supplied for the gps module. on a bass boat, i would either use the velcro method or two faced tape. you might also consider using a standard vhf antenna mount and permanently mounting it to the front or side of your console. they also make the vhf mount that will attach to your grab bar. i would recommend permanently mounting it. i would think the chance of dropping it or damaging it from putting it on/off.

bryan

Latest posts

Back