Yep, I Too Bought A New Humminbird 899ci Hd Si

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirForce

Reaction score
Yeah, couldn't stand it. Buddy bought a 859 HD di but I really been wanting a side scan unit since I bought 2 597ci HD di's (along with 2nd station kits for 2 boats). Now this is where Humminbird Greg will come in handy. Seems like the transducer that comes with that unit is what's call a compact transom mount (and said don't use it for the TM). So evidently I should contact Humminbird for the HDSI upgrade transducer. So I haven't got this unit yet but I'm wondering if there's a 2nd station kit (for TM) or what works for the TM?

Would the XTM 9 SI 180 T work? That would be $199 by itself from Humminbird. I'm gonna mount the 899 on a vertical RAM Mount

swiing20arm.jpg~original

So my thinking is I want to be able to move the monitor from console view to be able to see it from the front fishing staation. Keep in mind I'm 100% disabled so I don't switch back and forth except to move to another spot (after I fished a spot for at least 20 minutes), 5 or 6 times a day is about all I can stand climbing up/down from either the front or rear platform without having knee issues.

I'd probably also need a Y adaptor or can the 899 read BOTH the transom or the trolling motor pucks at the same time (wonder since back of unit has transom and TM cable connections). I'm assuming its one or the other. I suppose I COULD ask Humminbird support those questions (or keep researching it). I want to make sure I have everything I need when I go to wiring this puppy up and before I sell my 597ci HD di's (and all the pucks, TM mounts)

AirForce,
Glad to hear that I am handy for something!

There is no second station kit for the 899ci HD Si units. You would have to buy each part separately. Here is what you will need:
- Whichever trolling motor transducer you decide upon (see below).
- PC-11 Power Cable
- GM-2 Gimbal Mount
- MBCC-900 Cable Collector assembly. This is what holds the cables to the unit.

It is an XNT-9-Si-180-T Compact Side Imaging (CSi) transducer that comes with the 899ci HD Si units. There is a trolling motor version available that you stated (XTM-9-Si-180-T) that is shaped for the trolling motor and comes with an additional layer of shielding built into it to help reduce trolling motor interference. These transducers will allow the 455kHz Si/Di sonar to work well however there are some options that you may want to explore…

The 899ci HD Si unit can produce the 800kHz frequency but the transducer connected to it has to be capable of this as well. The CSi transducers are not, so you may want to look at the High Definition Side Imaging (HDSi) transducers instead. In addition to being able to produce the 800kHz Si/Di sonar, the HDSi transducers will also be able to produce a thinner 455kHz Si/Di sonar beam which means better detail in the 455kHz Si/Di sonar. The XHS-9-HDSi-180-T is the transom mounted version and the XTM-9-HDSi-180-T is a trolling motor version (although it is just the transom mount plus a trolling motor adapter. What many are doing is exchanging their CSi transducer for the XHS-9-HDSi-180-T transducer and using the Transducer Shield & Saver adapter as it helps protect the transducer while on the trolling motor from damage when you go bouncing off of stumps and rocks.

Either way, make use of the Transducer Exchange Program by calling Humminbird and setting the exchange up (1-800-633-1468). Just make sure that you do not open the internal packaging that the transducer and hardware come in or they will not take it in exchange.

Since you are setting up a second station you do not need any sort of a Y-cable, splitter or switch.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

Congrats on the new electronics. My new to me FF's are humminbirds. A 798cSI and 787c2i. I wanted side sonar which was not easy to find. Humminbird does have great customer service, very helpfull even with my old ones. Thanks.

Greg, I'm use to 2nd station but after staying up until 3 am studying a PDF I found on Humminbird accessories
ACCESSORY RESOURCE GUIDE 2014 - Humminbird (pretty good but brief) I think copy the item name, and do another search on Humminbird's website to get an idea of price and functions. Here's what I came up with that I want to do.

But YOU might be able to help me out with 899 feature that (haven't received the unit yet for booklet) has a Transom and TM connector for transducers so I'm not aware if this unit can use BOTH connectors at the same time.

So just gonna use a puck and run it back to the console using a Y cable (or rocker switch
TS3 | Switches | 720069-1) as I'm toying with the idea of keeping the puck that comes with the unit for a down imaging transducer for the transom and get the Y cable to split the signal
AS SIDB Y 720055-1 Y Cable - Splits Side Imaging® and Down Beam. Allows another transducer to be used for down beams

So using the switch kit above, I could then use XTM 9 HDSI 180 T | Trolling Motor Transducers | 710205-1 and add the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T | Transom Transducers | 710201-1.

As an aside, I'm also thinking of adding a GPS Puck (AS GRP | GPS Receivers | 408920-1) and was wondering if adding this piece is enough for the GPS Puck - AS ETH NMEA2K | Networking | 408390-1 (interface)

I see now that a XNT 9 20 will work just fine for the down imaging with the SI Y cable splitter. 59 bucks as opposed to another couple hundred is a LOT better. Yep, still need the TS3 switch though from switching from back to TM ducer.

Greg, I'm use to 2nd station but after staying up until 3 am studying a PDF I found on Humminbird accessories
ACCESSORY RESOURCE GUIDE 2014 - Humminbird (pretty good but brief) I think copy the item name, and do another search on Humminbird's website to get an idea of price and functions. Here's what I came up with that I want to do.

But YOU might be able to help me out with 899 feature that (haven't received the unit yet for booklet) has a Transom and TM connector for transducers so I'm not aware if this unit can use BOTH connectors at the same time.

So just gonna use a puck and run it back to the console using a Y cable (or rocker switch
TS3 | Switches | 720069-1) as I'm toying with the idea of keeping the puck that comes with the unit for a down imaging transducer for the transom and get the Y cable to split the signal
AS SIDB Y 720055-1 Y Cable - Splits Side Imaging® and Down Beam. Allows another transducer to be used for down beams

So using the switch kit above, I could then use XTM 9 HDSI 180 T | Trolling Motor Transducers | 710205-1 and add the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T | Transom Transducers | 710201-1.

As an aside, I'm also thinking of adding a GPS Puck (AS GRP | GPS Receivers | 408920-1) and was wondering if adding this piece is enough for the GPS Puck - AS ETH NMEA2K | Networking | 408390-1 (interface)
I have a ts3 for sale, never used $40

Seems I might have misunderstood the reasoning for a Y cable (but it does refer to a DI transdcuer that could be used with a SI transducer. I may have to wait for Greg to clarify as I was misinformed of the plugs on the back of the unit (evidently another unit has 2 ports).

Darrell send me a PM (conversation) on that TS3 with pics please.

AirForce,

Sorry I was not on yesterday but I had to take my youngest son to the vet. Okay, he’s a dog but may as well be one of the children…

There is only the one transducer connector on the back of the 899ci HD Si unit.

To use a bow and transom mounted transducer you will need that TS3 Transducer Switch but this is only going to work at one mounting location (station). If you want to have two different stations, you don’t need the switch unless you want to be able to use either transducer at either station and then it takes three different switches and it gets a bit more complicated as a different type of switch is used too.

The PC-11, GM-2 and MBCC-900 is only if you are setting up a second viewing station/location.

The AS-Si-DB-Y cable is used for splitting the down viewing conventional (2D) sonar off of the Side Imaging (Si) transducer. It can work along with the XNT-9-20 (save a few dollars with this one) or XNT-9-20-T transducers. Many fisherman use this system to allow them to mount the Si transducer where it will work better and where it will not get damaged as easily. The Si sonar is used to produce the Down Imaging (Di) sonar in the 899ci HD Si unit.

I’m not sure what you are asking about the GRP GPS Receiver. It is a stand alone external GPS Receiver. Just connect it up to the 899ci HD Si unit and it will start working. Ideally you would install this as close to the transducer that the 899ci HD Si will be using to get more accurate waypoint marking and to make traveling back to the waypoint easier. This is something to consider when using bow and transom mounted transducers with a single unit. The inaccuracy you are introducing could be up to 2X the linear distance between the GPS Receiver that the unit is using and the transducer that it is using. This is in addition to the overall accuracy (or inaccuracy, depending on how you look at it) of the civilian GPS system. The AS-ETH-NMEA2000 is a separate accessory and is only used to input NMEA 2000 data to your Humminbird Ethernet system.

Ahhh so ok, now between the tin forum (Wayne P. has been answering questions, and what you just said (BPS just shipped the 899 today). I've ordered the AS SIDB Y (to use to connect the 2 transom mount transducers) XHS 9 HDSI 180 T and XNT-9-20, then use the TS3 switch to switch between them and the XTM 9 HDSI 180 T up front.

Thanks on the networking part, I just assumed it was needed to connect the GPS Puck to the unit but most importantly to connect everything to the Smartcraft MercMonitor network. I also did a little more research (ok a LOT LOL) and decided on the AS GPS HS puck with heading sensor (that'll be better for Louisiana swamps) LOL

Yeah, at this point, not going to get another unit for networking (head unit), with the swing arm mount, I'll see what I want to see. I did order a 15ft network cable.

I'll send the puck I get with the unit for the upgrade to the HDSI for the trolling motor. I got a really good price break on the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T (199 as opposed to 269 and hopefully they send the right one - because the one that doesn't do 800mhz is also 199 on humminbird site).

Thanks Greg

Greg final thought - I just realized you are saying that the GPS Puck should be mounted as close as possible to the transducer for accuracy. I was thinking of mounting an VHF antenna mount since that has the 1in by 14threads required for the puck and a 2ft extension to screw onto the VHF mount, then mount the puck to the extension (which also has 1inch by 14threads on both ends.

Well I bought the AS GPS HS puck (good price somewhere) and since I had a VHF nylon folding lock antenna flush mount I bout a 24in SS threaded 1in by 14 threads post to screw on it and the the puck will mount to it. BPS shows I should get the 899ci hd si by Saturday with the mounts

Hi Mark, yeah, saw those threads early this morning, I'm about to hit the sack for the day, once again, been up all night shopping and researching. Think I've bought all I needed for now. Just waiting on the unit to arrive so I can contact Humminbird for the TM HDSI upgrade. Between Greg here and Wayne P on BBC tin forums, I think I've finally got my head almost (brain HURTS) and almost is a misnomer, but I think I can rest pretty good now. (for now). SPRING is finally coming to TN next week, its almost gonna be 70 next Friday, mid 60's by Wed whooohooo, projects will soon begin - as well as maintenance on the motor(s).

The GPS Receiver on an antennae mount is no problem AirForce. You just get more accuracy if it is mounted overhead of the transducer you will be marking waypoints from.

That GPS-HS is great for very low speed or stationary boats as it will still be able to show your heading correctly on the map.

Enjoy Spring while you got it, as you know how it is in the South - it may be gone the following week!

You know, that's right, cause we had 60's in Jan for a short while - can't help though the feeling to get outta this cabin fever. Before Jan 14, 2015, I could barely do anything and now I can do more. BUT gotta do it pretty quick, got a bad feeling I'm heading back to the hospital soon for a few days (fluid building up in the chest - as they call it chronic heart failure). Guess its just the nature of the beast of my Agent Orange crap. Think I've got 15 more pounds on fluid in my legs/chest since surgery in Jan. Darn it.

Know what you mean for the fluid build up in the legs AirForce. I'm dealing with it too but the Dr says to is a side-affect of the BP meds I'm on. Lost my father to chronic heart failure. He was exposed to the orange stuff too.

Sorry to hear that Greg, looks like I'm going back in the hospital this week (maybe) if the wife had her way. I'm holding out till Wednesday before she calls the cardio unit (cause I know I'll be in 3-4 days to get the fluid off), its building up quick now I can feel it pushing against the chest walls now (squeezing the heart). I've GOT to get a couple years of fishing in - heck I've spent a ton of money last week to waste it LOL.

Well going back in sooner than I thought - going in the morning - conditions getting worse.

Hope they get the fluid off quickly so you can get back to installing everything. Spring has (temporarily) come to the South although your area may be getting rain today. At least its not the frozen stuff! Get better soon so that you can get some Spring fishing in.

Hi,

New member here. Lots of great info above, but I'm still a little confused.

Looking at the HB 999ci HD SI combo -Cabela's currently has it on sale for $1199, which is a good value for an 8" screen, with DI/SI.

I live on the NJ coast, and fish salt water - some bay, coastal, and off shore, to about 50 miles. I have a 26' Proline CC. I currently have a Garmin GPS498, which has a great GPS, and an OK Sonar. I'm looking to upgrade to a more advanced unit.

Three Q's:

1) The specs say it's loaded with Contour XD maps. Does anyone know if that contains Coastal US in addition to lakes, or do I need to get another chip with coastal maps?

2) Is the internal GPS antenna strong enough, or do I need the external puck? Current unit has external antenna, BTW.

3) The above thread references the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T transducer as the one to swap for the one that comes with the unit. But the specs for the 999 say that's the one the package contains. The description on the HB site also references a "deep water" transducer, which has a 50 khz band. Anyone have opinions on which transducer I should get?

Thanks for your help.

Tony

Latest posts

Back