Motor Not Peeing Right Away

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass Caldwell2

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a couple of questions. I have a 2001 Merc 150 XR-6, and it's not immediately peeing on start up. I'm guessing, but maybe 20 seconds, which seems like an eternity. Would a bad impeller make it slow to pee? It pees fine once it starts.

Second question. I haven't had this boat long, but over the water intakes there are little metal covers over them, I was told by the previous owner that these are needed because of having a jackplate on the boat. What is the purpose of these, and could they be the reason the motor is slow to pee?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always!

I was just told that the metal pieces I mentioned above that cover the intakes are called scoops, and that they are to increase water intake. Anyone know if they are needed?

The XR6 has ANYTHING but a solid stream. It will range from barely a dribble to a full-blown scalding hot stream. The cooling system is thermostatically and pressure controlled. Your barometer....nothing less than 15psi at 5000 and up. Leabe the intake "scoops" on. They will help divert water at higher jack heights into the g'case holes. ;)

Thanks for the info Bob B. So I shouldn't be concerned if it's taking 20 or 30 secs? Also, what's the official name for the "scoops"? I need to order a new one because one of them has a little crack in it.

Thanks.

It may have a urinary tract infection. I'd flush it with cranberry juice for a couple of minutes and see if that helps. (Totally joking Cass!) :lol:

I see Bob B. already answered, so I thought I'd have a little fun with your title. I'd really like to see a picture of those covers if you get the chance. I don't have them on mine, and I use a Bobs Machine Shop 10" plate on my boat.

Hey Bob B. - are those scoops easy to install, and would you recommend them if I don't have them already? I haven't had any water pressure issues, but if they help out and you recommend them, I might look into it. By the way... it's been a while since someone asked a water pressure question, and I don't have it marked on my gauge anymore. What is normal idle / WOT min pressure for a 2005 Mercury Optimax (not XS) 225? It's been smooth riding for a while, and I haven't changed my plate height lately, so I haven't really been looking at the gauge as much as I probably should. I know it barely moves off of 0 at idle, but I have a steady stream.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn, if you Opti is a 2005 im betting your lower unit has the low water intakes already, i did use a set of the water scoops on one of my older EFI motors, they helped some, and were very easy to install.

Thanks for the input fellas but I figured out the slow to pee problem. My Merc was experiencing. A problem that us Air Force people encounter when we have to take random pee tests and you have a guy staring at your jimmy waiting on you to go...yep, a shy bladder or stage frieght. My old Merc is fine, he just don't want anyone to watch him pee.

:D:D:D

Cass,

Thanks for posting those pics. Looking at my engine, I think mine are fine, just as gofish said.

Thanks!

All the best,

Glenn

If you are not having water pressure issues with your current set-up, there is no need for the "hi-perf pick-up". ;)

Hey Cass,

You've got the right color t-shirt on in the pic with Jimmy! Go Vols!:D

Back