minnkota or motorguide?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete mitchell

Reaction score
I have just bought a used boat, I want to upgrade the size of the trolling motor. I have always used minnkota and so far have had good results this boat has a motorguide and the previous owner has not had any trouble but it is just undersized for the boat...any preferences to one brand over the other?

Well i think everyone is going to have a preference one way or the other and that will generally be based on what is on the front of their boat. I would say pick the one you like and go with it. If you like Minnkota thats what youi should go with because it what works for you.

As far as my preference goes i strongly prefer Minnkota. I'm pretty hard on a trolling motor and over the years i have never had a Minnkota let me down. I'm sure there are guys that run Motorguide that will say the same about that brand too.

Do you want to drill new mount holes? If that is not an issue then the choice is yours. It is a chevy/ford deal and both have their pro's and cons. I have seen plenty of both break but there are different features on each brand. I had 2 MG's and I replaced the original that came on a 2000 model year boat in like 2009 with a bigger unit. I did have a steering cable break and instead of fixing it, I went with a bigger thrust motor, again MG and it was functioning well when I sold the boat last year even after the new owner ran it into a rock pile and bent the shaft. I had him take it off and bend it back.

TOXIC

Tox,

Just a FYI drilling new holes would not be needed if he decided to change to a Minnkota. Minnkota was nice enough to include both Minnkota and Motorguide hole patterns on thier mounts, it makes the changeover easy.

Tox has a good point to consider. If drilling anymore holes is necessary. But as far as one vs the other.......chevy vs ford.

Both make a great product. you cant go wrong with either one.

Pete, are you going to a 24 volt and is the boat the PT185 you mentioned in another post? I have been considering going to a 24 volt for my PT185 and if you are do you have a plan as to where the batteries will be installed, I would be interested as I am trying to figure out which would be the easiest to do....move the starting battery or relocate the trolling motor ones.....

Thx

Mike, yes this is the pT 185, it currently has a 43# MG, I am leaning to the Minnkota 55# edge which is a 12V, I have read articles that recommend the 24v but I think that would be more money than I want to put in it, by the time you add the cost of the bigger TM, an extra battery and charger.

Thanks Pete and the best of luck with the new boat, I'm in North Fla and it has been so dry here may lakes have all but dried up so fishing has been on hold pretty much all fall and winter and things haven't gotten much better but I still love my 185....only real mod I made on mine was putting rod holders in both boxes and I think there is one picture in my folder, they work great.....

Minn Kota. They're more weedless, quieter and more dependable.

And FORD!

I have to say the newer MG motors are much better thaan the older ones. I was very hesitant to replace my broken MG (old motor) with a new one, but I was very happy with the replacement MG.

I do love Minn Kota motors, and they do feel a little more sturdy to me. Overall MG has ben fine, but I think MK has a slight advantage in toughness.

Latest posts

Back