minnkoda powerdrive motors

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEFF WHITE

Reaction score
looking at a 24v,65lb minnkoda powerdrive with a 60"shaft.anyone have one of these animals?how is the pedal to work,im used to the cable pedal,and looked at the pedal in the store,wondering on ease of use and durability?got a price of $499 shipping included.if i do get it,i have to make a new front deck where it mounts since the motorguide mount is there and more than likely the holes wont line up on it.and besides it needs to be replaced due to a few stripped screws in the bowlight.

I have the 55PD on a pontoon boat. I really like it. Neither of the two motor guides I've owned were able to hold a course without a foot on the pedal. The PD goes where you point it. The control is different and is probably trickier to work than the MG mechanical pedal, but I usually set it on course with continous speed and forget it, making adjustements when needed. The only time I need to work it manually is for tight manuevering, and I have gotten used to it for that. Being able to control the motor from anywhere in the boat is a big plus.

Jeff, I used the one on Buzz's boat and Mickey's and don't like it. I am used to the cables like Jamey. Very hard to get acclimated. Plus I have NEVER had a cable break in over 10 years! And I can only imagine that the power drive HAS to draw a little extra off those batteries and in a full day with high winds (7 of 10 days on Champlain LOL) I want all the juice I can keep! But with that tall/deep boat, definately go with the 60" shaft! You can always pull it up a little if needed but will be glad it's all there if you ever fish open water on Erie or Ontario!

I used to have MinnKota Powerdirve both with and without Autopilot. The synopsis for me, is that ANY electrical steer motor has no place on rough water. They cant take the abuse. IF you are fishing small waters with light boat traffic, they (both MK and MG) are the best thing since sliced bread. The Autopilot feature on MK uses a compass heading, and it does compensate for wind. I liked it until it kept breaking from the abuse Lake St Clair dishes out. In fact there is one still lying on the bottom in 8 feet of water.

Remember also that the more electronic it is, the more chance it will have to screw up. Sometimes, I couldnt shut it off or steer it......had to unplug it.

Mini

well,last night i went and bought a minnkoda powerdrive 65lb,60" shaft motor.the places i use it round home are,well,all i have is 3 lake for the gas motors,all others ae electric.i like the long cord for drift fishing to keep the boat on course,and trolling with the electric.

ill let you all know how i like it.it should be here in4 days or so.$500 shipped to the house,good deal.

well,jamey i dont like it,i love the thing now!!!!!i fished this morning with it,now i know what i was missing out on!!no sore legs!boat control that is unbelieveable!!!

oh greg,if you go that route,let me know!!i got to let you in on a few things you need to know before you put one on yours!!

Back