Minn Kota Terrova Mount

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lately I've become very interested in Minn Kota's ipilot system. After doing some research, I've found that the Terrova would be a nice fit for what I'm looking for. What I don't like though is the mounting system. For such an advanced motor, with a high price tag, I can't understand why they need to use a cheap looking plastic mounting that's different from what we are all use to. Honestly, that mount, and though I'm sure it works fine, is the only thing that's keeping me from buying the motor. Here's my question, what are the chances I can mount the motor on my existing Motor Guide bracket? Does anyone have one where they can measure the shaft diameter so I can compare it to my existing motor? If they're close, something should be able to be made to work. Thanks. George.

I have a new 80# Terrova with ipilot. The shaft measures 1 5/16". I can't say enough about the ipilot. I fished with a Motorguide standard pedal push/pull system for 30 years. When I got this new motor on my new Targa, I can't believe I went this long without something like this. With all the control you have with ipilot, it's just amazing. I can fish a spot with "spot lock" and run all over the boat, fish front or back, catch a fish, deal with it and I'm still in the same spot as before. Wind or current not a bother. I wish I had this system years ago. The co-pilot with gps is just fantastic. I fish the Columbia River and I can inch along up a bank and not once look at the pedal. It's totatly worth the $1400 I paid.

We might be onto something here. The shaft diameter of my Motor Guide is also 1 5/16 at the clamp. Looks like I can use this mount!:D

Tom that sounds great as I've had my eye on that ipilot system. I currently have the motorguide wireless motors and hate it. GTA I'd love to know how that works out after you use it.

Anyone I take out in my boat decides that they NEED an ipilot. I have been selling more and more Terrovas with ipilot and us2 installed. The mount for the Terrova is actually quite solid and the stow and deploy are WAY better than the power drive.

Brnbass, in your opinion will that motor slide out of it's mount and clamp into a old style scissor bracket? I think that would be the ideal set up for me. Are there any electronics in that base or are they all contained in the head?

I would keep the unit intact. The brains are in the head, but the steering motor, etc. all live in the base.

Gotcha. I downloaded the manual and that's what it looked like. Oh well, it is a nice unit.

GTA, not sure you still need this info, but here is my story.

First of all; get the Terrova, you will not regret it.

I cannot believe how long I waited to get one, now that I have used it for a few months.

Secondly;

I have the Terrova 55 iPilot US2 on a Nitro 640LX that used to have the standard Motor Guide mounted.

The holes from the original Motor Guide mount does not match any of the available Terrova mounts so that was a no-go from the start. I needed to find or manufacture an adapter.

I searched for both Minn Kota and Motor Guide adapters but nothing was available at the time (june 2012).

I decided to have a converter plate machined in SS to which I attached the composite quick release mount MKA-21, and the converter plate attaches to the hull, so I wouldn't have to drill new holes.

Unfortunately it didn't turn out so well because the MKA-21 is not designed to be a tight fit, it's probably engineered to be a "really quick" quick release mount, allowing for small movements of the engine while running on choppy waters.

I didn't feel like having movement of the Terrova while in transport was an option, as I was going for both portability and an absolutely tight fit, so then I tried the MKA-32.

That is one piece of sturdy quick release mount. I ended up drilling holes after all, and filling the old holes with marine filler material to keep water out.

Now the engine feels like it's been welded to the hull, and with the snap of the quick release lever the engine comes off when I want it to.

Hope that helps in any way,

best,

Andy

Latest posts

Back