MG Trolling Motor Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Johansen

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a 1993 Nitro 190DC and I am still running the original MG trolling motor that it was equipped with in 1993. It is a Pro Series 45. It is a 12/24V with a side switch to change back and forth between the two voltages.

What I wonder is that if I was to buy a new MG trolling motor but not the digital series would I see any difference in the efficiency of the motor? When I run the motor all day I can start to notice the power level dropping. I run exclusively in 24V mode and I have 2 fairly new (2 years old this Spring) Optima blue tops.

I would really like to get the new Pro Series MG called the Pro 75 or the Freshwater Series FW75 FB. They are both listed as having the same specs but the latter one is $50 more. Probably because the Pro Series is a BP exclusive line so they probably get a break by buying a ton of them and are able to sell these ones a little cheaper.

Like I said the specs are exactly the same on the two motors but I don't want to buy one if all I am going to get out of them is the option of having more power but without the greater efficiency of these so-called 'new and improved' units I read about.

Can anyone please shine some light on this for me?

Thank you!

Steve

From a 1993 motor you will see a big difference in the motors both in thrust and the amount of time the batteries last. The internals on the new TM's are more efficient and with the higher amount of thrust in your new TM (either brand) you will notice a lot less drop in power throughout the day. The TM just doesn't have to work as hard. You will lose the 12/24 option though, which is no big deal.

TOXIC

Steve,

I purchased a Pro 75 this past fall to replace my original 1997 MG T/M. I will still use the old one for a back up. Its a series 60 (58 lbs thrust) and going from that series 60 to the Pro 75 I noticed the thrust power right away. I also noticed that its quieter. Seeing how you will go from a 45 to a 75 you will notice even more power difference. As far as power use, I used mine all day without any loss of power. The reason I went with the pro 75 is because of a buddy in W.Va telling me about his and loving it.

Max

Thanks guys! I realize I would gain a ton of power over my old one but I want to be sure about the power consumption difference. That is the most important to me!

I just updated my 2005 Pro Series 70 to a Tour 82 and the increased power is great but the battery life is amazing.

Latest posts

Back