Mercury Guardian

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wesley Bowker

Reaction score
I have a 2012 pro xs 250 that i bought new a couple months back. During the break in period it shut down unexpectedly without an alarm and after reset the engine returned to 100% power. I read up on it in the manual and it said the guardian would shut itself down during the break in period at least once. A few weeks later it shut down the same way again. I took the boat into the shop for the break in service and after i got it back it has ran great. Friday night i blasted off on a shotgun start tournament and after getting on plane and almost to top speed with 4 other boats running full speed around me, it decided to shut down again in the same way only this time i was screaming and crying and 4 other boats were cursing me. I can only imagine that some type of code or jumper should have been put into the guardian during the break in service but im just guessing, is there any one that can give me an answer to this issue

If it is shutting down due to guardian it will have a stored code. Get it to the dealer for the code diagnostic and fix. I have not heard that they will shut down during break-in....seems dangerous to me. Have you checked all of your battery connections? I just get the feeling there is something else going on.

The dealer which I bought the boat ran the code and said there was a low voltage fault. Now I did have an alarm tone with that one and the gaurdian stored that code. I have only dealt with 2 models of pro xs this 2012 and a 2007. The manuals have a lot of differences between the 2. The 2012 has a legend of alarm tones and this break in shut down is listed in there to happen without an audible tone an return back to full 100% power, which is exactly like it happened. The 2007 I have experience with does not show this break in shut down. It does seem a bit dangerous, alot of times in the fall, i fish alot of tournaments where patchy fog is on the river in the morning and there may be 50 to 200 boats running in a line of one another. a shutdown like that could be really bad.

I have a 2012 Pro XS 150, and never heard of this shut down during break in. I have a good 10 hours on it already, and it has never shut down while running. The only time it ever stalled on me was when I was learning to load the boat and tried to power it up the trailer with too much of the bunks out of water. I find it hard to believe that Mercury would intentionally program the motor to do this- sounds like an accident waiting to happen in a tournament take off.

Mike W

Ok i checked my manual again, it says under gaurdian system, problem-during engine break in, no tone, no monitor display, % of full power available 100%, and the only other block on this chart says gaurdian activated and that also says no, now why would that be listed in the manual if nothing happened like the motor shutting down, because you have no tone, and no power loss, but you still have to reset the system. And not that i fully trust the shop i took this boat into during the break in service but they did not find a fault code for this. Now im becoming. Quite a bit confused

The motor should not shut-down AT ALL. Have the Dealer check the main power relay, harness / connection from the key switch to the motor, and all battery connections. ;)

Had a simular thing happen to an older boat and it was the main wiring harness being lose at the motor. Boat would come on plane go about 200 yards and fall on its face.

Thanks Rich. I think you and Bob are on the right track with this. Because thats pretty close to how its acting. Im getting it on plane,and the 3 times its happened ive made it maybe a half mile and then it falls flat. Thanks for the reply.

Latest posts

Back