mercury 60 elpto water pressure

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rey Gonzalez

Reaction score
I have a 2000 mercury 60hp elpto and there is no sufficient water pressure. I order a impeller repair kit and while waiting for the part I took off the lower unit to take a look... I took the impeller out and gaskets and see what was the condition and for my surprise the impeller was new but it turn not clockwise when initially installed. The housing was in good condition as well but the plate and gaskets are done, they look really bad.

I put everything back together since the kit will not arrived until this week and check if by having the impeller pushing the water the right way fix the problem... For my surprise this didn't fix it and notice that water comes out from the gear shift shaft...

Do anyone knows if this is normal or that's cause the gaskets are bad?

Make sure you replace the entire water pump kit, and the thermostat. Start here. The operating water pressure for that motor is 2-7psi at idle / 10-12 at WOT.;)

Doesn't matter....once the motor turns over, the blades will flop over......but if you really have to......clockwise....;)

OH....and use a dishwashing soap when installing....slippery stuff and it is biodegradeable...

Hello guys,

I have no idea how to get a water pressure since the boat has no gauge for that... The kit I purchase is KIT #46-812966A11,,, I will look for the thermostat but the psi how do I check on that?

No way to check pressure unless there is a gauge installed. Cheap, and it is one of the most important gauges you can have for that engine. That would be the correct part number for the "non-bigfoot" gearcase {yours should be a 1.83:1}........;)

I will purchase the gauge and the thermostat but I think that for now I will take it to the shop to made sure its done right,,,

Okay the shop charge 200 dollars for something so simple, I need to get this done on Friday this is going to ruin my small vacation and my trip to Okeechobee... I'm going to intall the kit and the thermostat my self, I just wanna see some water with pressure I did a motor and not a baby pee... How easy or difficult is to Install a WP?

Your tell tail stream is a poor indicator of water pressure. There have been links in the past posted to some "how-to's" on BBC I think. There's a couple of tricks that make the job easier. BTW, anytime I can get out of the dealer with work done for +-$200.00, I consider it a very good day. Might be worth it for the piece of mind that it is done right.

My friends, toxic and Bob b,,, As I mentioned before, I received the water impeller repair kit and for my surprise the lower unit on the water section there was some seals and rings missing and as I mentioned before the gaskets were done (broken), the plate was done too with groves marks basically a mess.... So I change everything that came on the repair kit... Now as Bob b advise me to start and change the thermostat, so I did, when I took the old one out, OH My LORD!!!, the thermostat was a mess,,,, corrosion, weed, sand, hair, you name it, it was there too. I put a new mercury thermostat, original part too and Walla,,, I start the motor and man you guys how to see the pressure now ,, its amazing. You guys save me $300.00 and probably more cause I was able to purchase the parts at a very good price and original mercury parts..

I didn't took a picture of how it was before but it was bad, I mean really bad thank God the motor it's ok.. I took a Video after everything was done.

Latest posts

Back