Merc OptiMax/DFI Motor Oil

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deborah Angelo

Reaction score
I have the Merc 115 OptiMax, it's 2 years old. I don't know what oil was in it when I purchased it new, but I was told to put in the Mercury Optimax/DFI oil only. I'm about 2 qts low and the only place to buy it locally is BP but not on Sundays. Is it true I can't mix oil brands? What about the QuickSilver?

NEVER mix oils. You can use the Quicksilver full synthetic. It's the retail version and packaging of what you get at the dealer.

I know not to mix the blends, I am mostly concerned with brands. The salesman at BP today said I had to stick with Optimax/DFI and could not use the QuickSilver since the Optimax is already in it.

Quicksiver DFI oil is the same as Mercury Opti/DFI oil.

The service tech at BP told me that Quicksilver and Optimax DFI are the same oil with different labels and recommended Quicksilver because it's cheaper. I believe some Walmarts sell Quicksilver too.

It's taken you 2 years to go through a tank of oil?:eek:

Mercury labeled oil is sold by Mercury Marine Dealers only.

Quicksilver is sold at retail outlets.

They are the same thing.

It's the same oil with different packaging. All I run is the quicksilver in my 115 Pro XS. Your guy at BP just wants that extra dollar.

2 years and a tank??? I can barely get two weekends out of one....

26 gallons in 2012.....

Latest posts

Back