Merc 225 EFI throttle and shifter cable part 2

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bob, I had the post yesterday you answered. I took the boat back to the mechanic shop this morning. He says the reason why the shifter cable broke in the first place is because the way Tracker has the boat set up. He says when the cables come off the control box they make too sharp of a downward turn and now he wants to move my control box forward 4 inches. Does that sound right? He doesnt think there is anything else he can do.

The throttle worked smoothly before the the shifter cable broke. He replaced both cables so I dont know what one is making it so stiff.

The boat is a Fiberglass Targa 2000.

If it worked fine before, it should work fine after. There is either a routing problem, a zip-tie incorrectly installed, or {and most likely}, the pre-load is set incorrectly on the throttle cable. This will cause the mechanism within the control box to bind, and cause difficulty shifting and throttling. DO NOT let them re-mount and drill another hole!!!:blink:

Bob, thanks again. You have been very helpful, I will get down there right away in the morning and tell them to not move the control box.

By chance...it the box is "tilted wrong", it can be rotated. Again though....if it worked before, it should work after. Can you tell us where the old cable broke? Was it near the box or someplace else. If in fact it broke at the "sharp bend", we'll have to examine it further. This is a model year 2000 boat....so the cables are in fact 11 years old? If so, I REALLY doubt the box mounting is incorrect.....still leaning towards cable installation and link and synch set-up.....;)

As far as tilt, if you mean forward or backwards it is perfectly straight up and down. The box and cables are all the way it was set up in the factory, so it has worked fine for 11 years.

The cable broke right by the box, but I believe the sharp curve is right behind the box, so I dont know if the break was right at the bend or just in front of it.

I agree with you, it has been that way for 11 years and worked perfectly, so it should be able to be installed again and work fine. They are working on it today, we will see what they come up with. These guys dont see Trackers very often so they are not used to them.

Good! That's what I wanted to hear. "If it isn't broke, don't fix it".....applies to your control box mounting. :)

Latest posts

Back