shifter prob continued

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
I took my boat in last friday to HH marine here in OKC. I would have taken it to my dealer but their mechanic is going to Merc school to get re-certified or something like that. HH marine is a premier service center as it says on the Merc website.

They called me today at work. The guy said that my control box had something wrong with it and he fixed it and it would be covered under the warranty. He then asked me who normally works on the boat. I told him I always take it to Bass Pro but their mechanic is out this week. He then tells me that This part was installed upside down. He described it to me and then I replied that when I was on the water I looked under the cowling and i saw it had come disconnected so I screwed it back on. It didn't help my problem so I just loaded up to bring the boat in to the shop. He then told me that i would have to pay for it. I said not to worry about it that I would take it in to Bass Pro when their mechanic got back because all I needed done was the control box. (except they were going to check my cranking battery for me because it has gone dead a couple of times in the past month when nothing has been turned on). THe guy then replies that he's already fixed it and if I wanted he would go remove it and put it back the way it was (in a so so rude voice..not bad but he got the point across that he didn't like what i said). then it gets silent for a while. He then tells me that he would talk to his manager and see if it could be covered under warrenty). Here is where i'm a little confused. He told me it would be a couple hours labor to fix it. I dont understand that...it took me a couple of minutes to scew the piece back on. Does it take him two hours to take it off and turn the other way? This piece has to do with the shifter cables/speed so I understand why he was checking it. But it shouldn't have come off in the first place....how was I supposed to know which way it went??? I just saw something off so I reconnected it.

I'm not upset that i might have to pay for it, it was my mistake in the first place...but i didn't know the difference. Secondly I do think it should be under warranty because ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO COME OFF IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

now with that said; i'm not mad or anything just a little confused.

Oh btw- last week when I called back and forth between BPS and stuff i was treated like Royalty...so they are doing great...it was whole different world compared to the first time i took them my boat. I wish i could take it to them this time. I've gotten to know The manager (of the service center) a little and he's great to work with. so there is some good news. I might give him a call and see what he says about the part.

I have the 5 year extended warranty on the boat and the motor. When I talked to mike (manager at BPS) he told me that everything would be under warranty..now I know he didn't know I put a part on wrong but it still shouldn't have come off in the first place.

your opinions?

BJ....

He is probably coming up with 2 hours laber because that includes the time it took to diganose the problem and fix it....I really don't know if it is something that should be covered under the warranty....but you might have shot yourself in the foot when you told them you put the part on wrong.....

If it broke before you did anything to it.....

And you only tried to get it back in place.....

It should be covered under warranty. Period.

I didn't know....i just saw it off and put it back on....how was i to know?

Like i said i don't care if I have to pay for it...i'm not going to tell them that tho...

The only way i could see them putting it under warranty is IT SHOULDN"T COME OFF IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!! and how was i to know which way it went. i was having trouble with the outboard and saw something unconnected so i put it back on.....

When you talk to them, BJ, keep it simple and straight to the point.....

It broke while you were on the water.

You tried to do a temporary fix to get going.

Nothing more.

End of discussion.

It broke before you touched it.

It's a warranty issue.

Say as little as possible.

Don't let them get you excited.

Don't get emotional.

Keep your voice level.

Be very matter-of-fact.

Don't budge from your stand.

LOL!! Pretend you're Pat Goff !!

(That's a compliment, Pat!)

It shouldn't matter to the dealership; they'll be paid a reasonable hourly rate by Mercury for the work performed.

Thanks me! Hopefully they'll get me called back today. They called around noon while I was at work. My mom called me and I called them back. The way he talked it should be done today. so hopefully they'll get me called back and his manager told him to put it under warranty. If they don't i'll just explain my side of it.

what should i do if they don't want to put it under warranty? You're right i won't leave my stand...i don't want to pay for it.

Go over point-by-point again.

And again if necessary.

Don't give an inch.

Go over it as often as necessary until they get the point:

You didn't break it.

It's a warrantable item.

NOTE THE FOLLOWING CONVERSATION IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...IT AIN"T REAL!!!!

should it go something like this:

Service dude-your problem isn't under warranty

BJ-i didn't break it..only tried to fix it

Service dude-it isn't under warr.....

BJ-I didn't break it..only tried to fix it

Service dude-IT ISN"T UNDER WARRANTY YOU DIDN"T PUT IT ON RIGHT AND WE HAVE NO PROOF YOU DIDN"T BREAK IT

BJ-I didn't break it. i tried to do a temporary fix to get going again..how was i to know how it went...i just saw it unconnected and tried to fix it. it broke before i did ANYTHING

Service Dude-I don't give a rip about it...it isn't under warr..

BJ-I didn't break it...it broke before i didn' ANYTHING

Service Dude-Let me get my manager

Manager-yes whats the problem

BJ-I explain the prob..

Manager-it isn't under warranty

BJ-I didn't break it...it broke before i did anything

Manager-it isnt' under warr

BJ-I didn't break anything...just tried to fix it

Manager-sir this can be easy or hard...

BJ-sir this can be easy or hard...i didn't break it....

Shoud it go something like this?

LOL!! Yeah..... Sumpthin' like that!

But what you tried to do was.....

"an emergency, on-the-water fix to get you home".

ok!!!! Its 5:00 and they close at 6:00..still waiting for a call. When I talked to him at work he said he was about to check the batt (yeah i can see having to pay for him to check this....) I know the boat has to be done by now...so he's probably waiting to talk to his manager about the warranty....

i might also add that i called most of the certified merc service places here in OKC..well all of the "premiere" ones at least. All of them would take a week to get my boat in...HH Marine was the only one that said to drop it off over the weekend and they would look at it today and have it back tuesday/wednesday depending on what needed to be done. I'm beginning to think that the reason they didn't have many boats to fix is they have poor service...

They are also primarily a Skeeter/Yammy dealer but also sell Procraft/Merc

BJ

Well, at least I don't have to bother watching Last Comic Standing tonight. My sides are already hurting. :>)))))

BJ, is H&H the dealer out on NW 10th?

Harpo

Latest posts

Back