First Impressions - Glass vs. Tin - Long

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK, today was the first day i've been able to realy use/run the Nitro. I took her our 1 hour on Thurs night to test my install of the Humminbird Matrix 77c and caught a dink.

After 5 hours of fishing/running with a full tank of gas (MAN $53 for 1/2 a tank, glad I work from home!!! LOL), 2 guys and all our gear. For those who don't remember my Tracker is a 2000 Pro Crappie with a 40 Merc and the Nitro is a 700LX DC with a 115 Merc (Carb'd):

- Hole shot - About the same between both boats though the bow rises much higher on the nitro then the Tracker ever does, probably because of the heavier motor and more HP on takeoff. Once on plane though the nitro FLYS and the torque steer I feel on take off is nil, at 50mph on smooth water I could take my hands off the wheel (like 1/8 of an inch) and she was dead straight, so I don't see any need for hydralic steering on this one.

- Performance/Speed - WOW 53mph on glass clear water, ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM in the Nitro. The Tracker ran 31 mph on a clear day just me and 1/2 gas and light gear. Didn't expect anything less from this rig. I do need to get a Water pressure guage and fine toon the Manual Jack plate. I'm only getting 5000 rpm at most, and she redlines at 5250, so I have some work to do. I assume raising the motor will give me a few more RPMs?

- Storage - For gear, tackle, rods and stuff Nitro wins HANDS DOWN!! Of course my Tracker is a Pro Crappie so it doesn't have near the storage the Pro team does, but 2 rod lockers a HUGE front storage bin, 2 HUGE rear storage boxes, Glove box and a LOT of room under the consoles as well as 2 empty battery trays in the bildge I can get storage boxes for. I do need to do something (rod organizer or rod socks) in the lockers on the Nitro, my Tracker came FACTORY with rod organlizer/tubes which made it a lot easier. I did have a problem getting tips/rods mixed up/tangled in the Nitro today.

- Rod ramp - It was ReAL NICE to have the passenger rod ramp for my buddies rods, and with the HUGE under console storage there was no problems with his longer rods. Up front for me its a mixed bag. While there are 2 rod straps (one on each side) up front vs. only 1 (I installed, and another one behind the dirver) on my tracker, due to the deck size on the Nitro the rod tips lie 6-12 inches up on the side of the console. No biggie just have to be careful. Where on my tracker i've put 9ft FLy rod and off shore trolling rods on the passanger side with no problem all carpeted space.

- Front Seat - Rich Stern - You are RIGHT, it is darn impossible to fish with the front seat in. Due to the large front center storage lid, the post/seat is too far forward I could barely put my foot on the trolling motor peddle all the way up, so I took it off for this trip. I'll look at butt seats next week, and possibly the off-set seat post. I had more room on the Tracker between the seat post and the front end of the deck, due to a smaller storage box. If any 700lx owners have a suggestion for a type/style of post/seat let me know.

- Rough water ride - This one MAY be due to my inexperience running the boat. The tracker flexes MORE and absorbs more of the chop with the deep V of the Revolution Hull vs. the pad hull of the Nitro. This difference in bottom running surfaces make the Nitro when up on plane seem to BOUNCE more and because it is SOLID it hits harder when comming down on a wave/bump in the water. This makes it seem like the Tracker rides better. BUT the tracker is only going 28-29mph at top end with 2 guys so I think it cuts through the chop better. On plane/pad the Nitro is more succeptible to the wakes of pleasure boats especialy at angles. I know I need some more seat time but right now i'd say at 30 mph on plane the Tracker is a smoother/less jarring ride then the Nitro.

- Loading on trailer - Nitro wins HANDS DOWN! The 4 bunks realy self level the boat on powerloading. MY track

Dude, you need more ass time....that Nitro will run and ride better in rough rider....give it some more time and learn to drive her.

Glad you had some fun today!!!

Ken - I can see exactly what happened 5 years ago happen again to me. in Feb of 2000 I went from a 14ft Jonboat with a 5hp tiller to my Tracker with 40hp steering wheel. The first year I spent MORe time running around the lake and trying places and having fun with the boat, then focusing on my fishing. I ran 1/2 the lake today, up a river arm and we hit lots of different spots.

Well... on driving the nitro, so? When you comming down to give me lessons? You'll even be driving GLASS!!!

Trep, Once you get used to driving a glass boat you'll see a huge difference on how it handles the rougher water. Keep in mind you will still have to slow down a bit (40 - 45 MPH) when running in 1-2 ft. chop. Also play with the trip a little bit and things might get a little smoother. Sometimes I find trimming up and hammering it down will give you th smoothest ride because very little boat is in the water. Experiment with it and enjoy running around the lake. After a while you'll wonder how you ever "settled" for your smaller boat. Next thing you know you will be wanting a 19 or 20 footer with a 200 on it. I know I'm ready for a bigger boat.

Sooooooooooooo.............you didn't catch any fish out of the 'glass boat.:p suprise,suprise..

At least you still have the tin rig if you want to catch some fish one last time before you sell her.:rolleyes:

Glad to hear you really like her Trep, I would too. That is a sweet little boat.

I've been thinking on buying one of those S shaped seat posts. Just the thing for those lazy days of do-nothing fishing.They would probably be just what you need to back you away from the pedal a little.

Steve

Steve - yup so far the Nitro's done EXACTLY what my tracker has done, little fish!! Get it Little size and little of it! BWWWAAAAAA

I tried using the existing seat/post and I can NOT with my long legs bend them right to use the peddle on the Tmotor. My plan is in the next week or so to go to BPS/Tracker and from the pedestal isle get all the ones I THINK i'd like ,take them over to a 700lx on the floor and try them out!

Hey hows the job, wife, kids and the Tracker??

Jobs boring, wifes getting meaner every day:D, kids are growing like weeds, and the Tracker is still running strong (knock on wood).

Keep forgetting you're close to a BPS,must be nice to walk in and find whatever you need.

We'll be getting one about an hour away,I believe this coming summer.Supposed to be a big one too.

I'll have to get a second job once it's built.

Michael, the jackplate on that boat makes it VERY trim sensitive. I've ridden in that boat with other people driving, and felt like my kidneys were getting belted by Sugar Ray Leonard. I take over, drive in the same conditions, and the punishment factor goes way down. In any kind of chop, you need to be active on the trim. You'll figure it out.

Rich - ahh, as Pat always posted something like "its the driver not the boat!" ok Now get gas prices back to 99 cents a gallon and i'll spend 2 hours everynight practicing!!! LOL

So hows the Sprint? Start the projects yet?

trep,

Agree. More seat time will help lots in figuring the ride/drive out. After you get your back pounded a few times, the lessons learned there will help out HAHAHAHAHAHA

I found that out when I was running the BIG water at St Claire!!!

Carlos

Latest posts

Back