MAX HP TRULY MAX HP??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Greifer

Reaction score
All, just a quick question. I have a 1997 700LX with a 115hp on the back. I have a TREMENDOUS opportunity to grab a 2004 Optimax 150, however, I only have the 700LX. What issues could I run into if I put a 150 on my 700LX? Would it be overpowered? Unsafe? You guys know MUCH more than me regarding riggind, so any help would be beautiful! Thanks in advance.

Not sure where you live. In Louisiana if your motor exceeds max HP, and you get into an accident....all responsibility is on you no matter what happened. Most insurance companies will not cover overpowered boats. Removing tags whatever won't get it. Check with the law before doing anything, stuff happens. Good luck.

Bubby

Gilbert, thanks. I understand that. Just wondering if there are performance and saftey issues that "overpowering" a boat slightly that I can run into. Ive already spoken with insurance and they will not cover the boat itself, however, they will continue to cover the trailer, as well as the items IN the boat, ie electronics, tackle, etc. I am fine with that. Thanks again.

I think I'd be more worried about not having any insurance coverage on damage you may cause to someone or something else. God forbid something were to ever happen.

I had a 2004 750NX with a 115 on it. It was a little bigger than your 700. It was rated for a 135 but every nitro dealer I talked to advised me not to. They said the motor was to heavy and my boat would porpoise very badly if I did put a 135 on it. Now with your 700 it is a little shorter and you are looking at a 150 which will be a little heavier than the 135 I was looking at. My advise would be not to. As Gilbert had said earlier there is not a insurance company out there that will insure it. And if you get stopped by the lake patrol they will give you a ticket (past experience with another boat). And if you have an accident you could lose everything you own. Good Luck

Alright, you guys have convinced me. Scrapping the idea and going to just check into Z-7s in the spring! Appreciate the info. You guys ROCK!!

What are friends for???:D:D:D. I took my buddy out last week in my 170 (he has a 21ftr) and he told me I needed a bigger boat. So i went home and said "Sweetie, Billy said we needed a bigger boat".:lol::lol: She brought up the old addage, "Wish in one hand...........":blink:

Every outboard is different. Some run hot, some run weak, some dead on. A lot also has to do with the load you have in your rig. My tech said (back when I first bought it) that my 175 efi was actually putting out more like 182 HP. That's why I consistently ran away from other 175's and even some 200's. It also doesn't hurt that I run a light load in my boat for the purpose of top end and simplicity.

Don't forget to balance the weight in your rig too.

DON'T over power. As much as I did it with race boats....they were race boats. I took a huge risk even though I was insured back when the few lake racers had "a little extra hp on the back". :blink:

Latest posts

Back