Lowrance Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno G.

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm having a minor issue with my Lowrance LMS-332C and since you guys know more than I do about these units I figured I'd ask. The problem I am having is that the displayed depth is very random. I mean it will work fine for a while and then the depth reading justs starts blinking. Sometime it seems like forever before the depth signal returns and all is well. This will happen at random throughout the day. I can understand this happening when underway, but this will also happen when I'm on the trolling motor. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone.

Reno

bad transducer, or install (angle could be off)

Had a similar issue with an X70. Would only work intermittently, then not at all. It could be a bad transducer or angle. Try playing around with the angle or better yet, swapping out with a new transducer. If its still having a problem, then its a head unit issue and you may want to see what Linda Colt from Lowrance Customer Service can do. For me, my head unit was bad and non-repairable, so I ended up purchasing a new unit - Humminbird this time.

How many units are used simultaneously? At what kHz? (It could be crossover from units or possibly a ground issue on that unit.) Does it happen mostly over a certain depth, shallow water working fine? Are you in close proximity to other boaters when this happens? Is the 'ducer glassed in the bilge or a transom mount?

It happens with or without my bow mounted unit powered up and is totally random, it happens in deep and shallow water and doesn't seem to matter if other boats are around. I was hoping not to have to purchase another transducer just to try it, but it looks like I may have to. I've tried changing the transducer angle, which is mounted on the transom, with little success. Thanks for response.

Reno

Reno - if there is a Bass Pro near you, you can get the new transducer there, try it and if it doesn't work, then return it (its still new afterall!). I did that and my BPS had no issue. I kept all the paperwork and the transducer and packaging were still all new. If the transducer is the culprit, well, you're good to go with the new replacement!

Reno,

Do you have a Bass Pro close to you? If so, you may be able to get them to lend you, (With a deposit) a transducer from a display model to see if that cures your problem.

Also sounds like there may be a short in the wire going to the unit. These can cause intermittent problem like you are describing. Can you see any physical damage or kinks in the wire that may attribute to your problem?

Jim C. is on top of it! Do your head units share similar 'ducers? Can you try your head on a buddy's boat with the correct 'ducer? If you can check the head on another TD, you're narrowing down the possibilities fast. If your units do not have an adequate (10-12 gage), independant ground, you can experience "ghosts" of many form in your units. Isolating them to a good ground would be my first recommendation. Grounding the trolling motor housing would be my next. TM's are a popular source of interference to graphs. I run a ground from the housing (or ground lag) all the way back to the neg. of the cranking batt. on every boat. That alone has reduced most interference I experienced previously. If those two don't "fix it", you're ghost is probably in the head and needs factory help.

Latest posts

Back