Lowrance HDS 5 Issues

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Tome

Reaction score
I recently installed the Lowrance HDS 5 (transducer on the trolling motor) to the bow of my boat. I already had the HDS 7 hooked up on the steering column (transducer and structure scan on the back of the boat). When i turn them on separately they work fine, but when i hit power on the other one, not turned on, both of them start to blink on and off, and do not work. I also am not able to use the structure scan on the HDS 5 (works on the HDS 7). Any ideas??

Are both transducers set for the same frequency? If they are, they might be interfering with each other.

sounds like a network (ethernet) problem. Is the LSS-1 module on or off when you are doing this?

What powers the LSS-1 module?

also check the power supply to both units. they MUST have dedicated power supply from battery not from accessory power switch on dash. I Recommend a quality power/toggle switch to positively shut power dower off to units when not in use.

I had a very similar issue to this in the past. I also would check the freq of the transducers, with a smaller boat the cones can over lap and cause interference where you loose the bottom on one of the units.

These issues drove me crazy to the point that I punted my X35 off the front deck a few yrs ago. The wires/cables were the only thing that kept them from sinking from to the bottom.

GregD

You do NOT need a direct connection. You need a GOOD connection.

Nitro's are notorious for having too small guage wires from the battery to the fuse panel......

I added a new fuse block in my Ranger just for electronics. No issues.

Need or Recommend.... are we not talking about the same thing here?

Bottom line, like you said. the wiring is inferior. The current draw is to high for the gauge of wire used at factory. Best to run a home run with fuse block and toggle switch dedicated to electronics :D

GregD

Latest posts

Back