lower unit question...AGAIN

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Harrison

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 1969 55hp Johnson 3 cylinder outboard with an electric shift lower unit. For some crazy reason or another when I was changing my water pump, my dad decides to take off the cover where the shift linkage would be on a normal lower unit, but instead here it's two solenoids and a rod that goes down into the unit. Anyway, I got a new gasket for it, looked like there was only one way it could go back together. Got it all hooked up, earmuffs on started it up and now the lower unit is constantly shifted into forward. At first I thought it was some bad insulation on the wiring near the lower unit and they were maybe touching and grounding out or whatever, but now I believe that little tip on the rod that goes down is suppose to connect somewhere, but how that's possible I don't know. It's about 10-12 inches down into the lower unit. If ANYONE has ANY clue as to what I can do or what little thing I might have forgotten, please email me or respond. The head on this outboard starts and purrs and just overall runs like a champ and won't ever stop. But this darn lower unit has been giving me fits forever. Broken skeg, stripped threads on lower drain plug hole and now this. I don't want to spend 500 bucks on a rebuilt lower unit, but if taking it to the shop just to fix this for a few hundred, I'll just pay for it to all be new. Anyway, sorry for the long post, thank you for your time.

Latest posts

Back