Lower Unit Replacement

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Orth

Reaction score
I have been blowing up the shift cam in my lower unit for the past 2 seasons (gone through 4 of them - see pic) and after this last one I had a different mechanic take a look to see what the heck is going on. He says that I need an entire new gear set and his advice is to get a used lower and bolt it on rather than order the new gear set and pay for installation. (Parts and Labor to install the new gear set is not cost efficient in his eyes - $800 for parts?? and 2-3 hours labor??)

Anybody have any suggestions on how to go about finding a used lower that you can trust? Or should I just pony up and get a new OEM or a Re-man. I think I can get a new OEM for around $1700 or a remain for around $1,200.

Looking for suggestions on locating the replacement lower whether that be used, re-man or OEM.

Any of you Mercury mechanics still on here? "Cut me and I bleed black" - you still around?

I have been a ghost since the old site went down. Shame on me!

Feel free to give me a shout too.

Mike

photo1.jpg

Not a Mercury mechanic so I'll just go by experience - Get the OEM unit and be done with it. Way too many supposedly good units that were essentially bad, and in the end you'd pay far more than the OEM would have cost in time, money and trouble - just my 2 cents worth.

OH and my suggestion for locating one is to contact Don Weed at European Marine http://www.europeanmarine.org/contactus.html

Don't know if you're a BBC member but if not, tell a white lie and say you are (but be prepared to give a BBC member ID) - THEN join BBC - LOL gets you a 10% discount on anything over $125 I think it is. I've bought 2 Smartcraft MercMonitor's from him (bassboat & pontoon boat - both have 60hp 4 strokes). If you call him tell him Wildcat Dude sent ya (Charles), I help out some on the Mercury forums so he knows me.

If you're wanting to see the part # for your motor, go to the parts link, log in, input your serial # and look it up, put the part in the basket and go to checkout to see how much it is (you can always remove it), then call or email him for the BBC discount when you place the order

Charles,

Thanks for the info. I will check it out. I am a BBC member too so thanks for the tip on the savings.

BTW. Saw that you are a Veteran and Retired Police Officer. I have both in my family - Thank you for your service!

Thanks Mike. Tell those family members thanks from ME as well :thumbs up:

Latest posts

Back