New Boat Owner And New To Boating

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danimal260

Reaction score
Traded my motorcycle for a 1989 Maxum 1700 w/ Force 85 outboard. Thing is beginning to be a PITA. Guy we got it from started it for us with muffs. Being naive we had no idea what to look for. Just wanted a boat. Looking back, we didn't see any water coming out of the telltale holes in the leg. That being said, I have to figure out how to start an outboard and keep it running. Accomplished that part. Took it out on the lake and it overheated. Had to be towed back to the ramp. Wonderful I thought. Now I'll need a new motor. Been getting more and more frustrated and discouraged. My wife on the other hand is cool with everything. WTH! So anyway, I did some research and ordered an impeller, gasket, and plate. Took the lower unit off and took it apart (was an auto mechanic so I'm comfortable with some stuff). Here's what I found.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438358818.787287.jpg

Yay! I'm on the right track. Now let's hope I didn't fry the rings and my compression and spark are still good. Quick question. The battery has to have a good charge for me to get a good spark, correct? Here's the boat.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438358937.849781.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you get the impeller installed make sure it is put in the right direction. Make sure there are not any burrs on the plate. i little high vacuum grease on the impeller helps put it on. You may have to run the rpms up to get the water to pump but it should almost start immediately. on the ignition it depends upon the year but that year used a ignition coil and CD module to provide the juice op the plugs

Latest posts

Back