Lock'n Stow

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Kern

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Lock'n Stow as an alternative to the traditonal transom saver?:unsure: It makes more sense to me to have the motor "wedged" against itself as opposed to being supported against the roller on the trailer. Let me know your thoughts. Here is the link if some of you are not familiar with this unit.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=37340&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Thanks,

bassinboy

I have one, and man, I won't ever go back to a regular transom saver. It works great, and when I take it off my engine, it's so small and compact, I just put it in a drop in storage tray under the lid access for my bilge. That coupled with the stay-on-the-trailer style transom straps, and I never have to walk back to my truck with anything when I launch my boat. It's a great setup. I highly recommend it. Oh - BTW - your engine doesn't move AT ALL with this one!

All the best,

Glenn

How low does it allow the skeg to set above the ground? I'm thinking about ground clearance on rough roads.

I've seen boats with this on the motor. I THOUGHT the idea od the regular transome saver was to have some of the motor's weight on the trailer "saving" the transome. Am I mistaken?:unsure: I like this unit better but thought it was defeating the initial purpose.

I agree with Pete, looks like all the weight goes back on the transom. My old Johnson had a flip down bracket to hold the motor up, but I was told to get a transom saver to take the load off of the transom. Now you are telling me to put the load back on the transom! What's the deal, weight on the transom or off the transom? Can anybody answer this thats knows? I like this new bracket, but not sure if I should get one. Later<>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

I'd like to know too. I've read that transom savers put a lot of stress on the lower unit and can cause trouble with it. What's the real scoop??

Harpo

I don't think transom savers are designed to take the weight off the transom - rather, they are designed to keep the motor from bouncing up and down when you go down the road, thus "saving" the transom from damage. If I am wrong.... then think of this - when your boat is in the water, what is saving the transom then??? When on the trailer, if it is locked in place with the Lock N' Stow (same basic principal as the old Johnson/Evinrude style flip downs... just one step further - it doesn't allow side to side movement either), then the motor doesn't bounce up and down on the transom. With the old type that goes to the trailer frame, it keeps the motor fairly safe by locking it in place, but it is more prone to allowing bouncing AND the shock from the trailer if it hits a large pothole, etc.... It also doesn't exactly do a good job of keeping the motor from turning side to side - especially with a 200hp engine and above. I had one of the regular types on my 225 Opti when I first got the boat, and I had to put the little plastic steering ram locks on my hydraulic steering because the engine would move side to side. Think of it this way - that engine weighs hundreds of pounds. Do you really think that little piece of 1" aluminum tube is supporting ALL the weight of that engine??? Nope. Your power trim ram is. The Lock N' Stow is a lot more stable IMO.

All the best,

Glenn