Labor rates

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan huff

Reaction score
Ok just wandering the average per hour shop rate you guys are seeing. Im fairly handy so I can handle most minor things on my boat so I havent been to a dealer in at least a couple years or better. Today I stopped at our local Tracker dealer to purchase a new fishfinder to have on my bow. As Ive been pretty busy I thought Id ask what it would cost to have it installed. I almost choked on the minimum $95/hr rate! I own my own semi truck and most shops I take it to are below that AND charge by the job on some easier repairs rather than a set hourly minimum. Is this the going rate now? I mean good lord its not a car and certainly not a diesel. I could maybe see a higher rate like this for outboard repairs but a simple bow installation? Come on! Needless to say I walked out. Went down the road and purchased my fishfinder (same one) cheaper but will be installing myself. They lost out all the way around by gouging in my opinion.

Bass Pro Shops is $95 or $100 / hour in nothern Illinois. I can't remember because I also choaked. A local boat shop is $85. Our auto repair shops are around the same. You might find a $75/hour if you are lucky. But I'm sure they work a little slower to make up the difference. :unsure:

What bugs me is the fact most work / repairs have set pricing. I had some work done to my car and they charged me 6 hours labor. But called 5 hours later saying the car was done. If I had my own lift, I could have done the job in 4-5 hours, and I am just a weekend wrencher... :blink:

Touchy subject here, as i am a service manager in a truck dealership here in South Dakota, we have a door rate of 98.00, bear in mind some customers also have lower dedicated rates than that, yes you can pay less and the "mom and pop" shops. now to the brass tacks of it, diagnostic software, laptops, training, all cost money, to get one tech fully trained in chassis and just one engine right now, no wages figured in as he trains, is likley around 10000-15000 in expense, my detroit reprogram stations, laptop and software is around 6000.00 per station, i have two, plus two cummins, cat, wabco, meritor and eaton transmissions. that is the justification for the 98.00 per hour, flat rates are great on charges, unless you have siezed bolts, or so many other things that can get in the way of production. the other factor we offer, is better pay for the techs, better benifits, but we demand they do the training to be cirtified, many of the small shops in our area dont offer the benifits, training and tooling available that the dealershp does. the same applies to a good boat dealer, if they are tied with a boat brand, they are likely required to meet many demands to be that shop. i do not like paying either, as i am a trained and cirtified tech on trucks and cars, but my 250 opti does to go my dealer shop, his tech it top notch and performs a valuble service to me on my boat motor.

my rant and two cents worth on labor rates......a bit defensive but the facts put out there for you all to read, Bob, feel free to clarify and add anything i may have overlooked.

$95 to install a fish finder on the bow of my boat is just insane. Like I said I understand a higher rate for outboard repairs but this is something relatively low tech that they put their non outboard service tech guys on. They make less than $10/hr!

$90-95/HR in MI. too......I rely on Mini to help me with 90% of EVERYTHING I need fixed on my boat...LOL. We can do almost everything EXCEPT hardcore motor teardown/repair and glass repair. But,...trust me,..it costs me almost that much in venison and Jack Daniels to get him motivated enough to drive over!! (Not to mention Kathy,...she contributes to the pot also with hugs and kisses to the big fella!!) Boat maintenance is a family affair!! :wub::cool:

BTW,...$90/95 is "minimum",.....a $10/hr tech might be able to hook up a frt dept finder in 1/2 hr,....but they'll bill you @$100.00,......some will think.."Wow,..that's cool...$100 for that is fine with me!!"...other's will think..."WTF?!...it took him 20 mins!! I could've done THAT!!"

Well...there ya go,.....next time...do it yourself and save $100.00!! :rolleyes:

Yep and that's why more and more are DIY's;)

I do just about everything anymore...although I wasn't gonna mess with a new AC and Water Heater unit cuz they're a PIA BUT, I've saved thousands this year alone by just doin' things myself.

Cliff pretty much hit the nail on the head. Here.....$120.00 / hr. I offer discounts here and there for "different needs". Service close to 2000-2500 boats per year, never much "OMG!" issues, sure every once in awhile, but my Customers are more concerned with getting it done right, and are willing to pay more for that service. ;)

I guess I'm one of the minority who is ok with the $95.00 - $100.00 rate for a good mechanic. Initially it may sound expensive but, if you can't do it yourself (and you want it done right), then it is worth it. Especially when you consider the cost involved in having all the tools and equipment and training (hours and hours of continueing education) to keep up with being a GOOD MECHANIC!

I do all the things I can myself. I've installed a new shift lever box, my onboard charger, several depth finders and transducers, mounting plate for TM, new pumps and 2 way livewell valve, fuel lines - fuel filter,spark plugs, impeller and lower unit oil when needed. I have also changed out trailer lights to LED type with new wire ran. Easy enough things to do for a novice. BUT, I do not have the know how or the diagnostic equipment or the tools or the training to tackle the outboard engine. For that I gladly will pay (and have done so), for the expert to fix it!

Keep in mind there are a number of experts on this board that take questions everyday from most of us. The advice they give saves time and $$$$ for all of us. Some even tell us to email them for discounts on what we need! What's that worth!?

My doctor charges a helluva lot more for 15 minutes but, I think that too is worth it.

I have Carlos close by, anybody who can tear down and re-assemble a Cobra attack helicopter, can work on my boat!!:lol: But a TRUSTED mechanic is on my speed dial as well and I'll pay whatever rate he wants to charge!!;)

to quote a car talk guy on the radio: Good mechanics aren't expensive,they're priceless!

I think most were missing the part where I said I was ok with $95/hr for an outboard repair. I will install the fish finder myself. I had been so busy I was just hoping that since I was buying the fish finder from them,at a higher cost,they would install it for a decent rate. Instead they choose to quote me their standard shop rate which is the same for outboard repairs. Since,having worked in a boat shop when I was younger,I know they have service guys who arent outboard techs that do the smaller easier jobs I find it absurd that they want to charge the same as if a outboard tech worked on my boat. The end result,I didnt buy jack from them. I went down the road and purchased my fish finder cheaper and I'll install it myself. So they lost. They got zero business from me and when I buy my new boat (next year I hope) they wont see that business either. A good example of what Im talking about is when someone comes into a truck (otr semi) shop and needs a headlight replaced. (I know I know its crazy that a driver cant do that or wont but thats beside the point as this is a service offered at truck shops) They charge a flat rate for the install because to charge $75 to install a headlight would be absurd. Same at my local car shop. Something relatively easy like nrake pads are charged a flat rate rather than his usual $90/hr rate. So I just fail to understand the reason why Tracker dealers cannot do the same unless there are just that many people who prefer to just not care.

I kinda like these threads with all the heated debating goin on...

I agree with Dan for the most part. Years ago you could go to Circut City and if you bought a radio that was more then $100 they would install it for free. Cause its really easy...

But at the same token I would absolutly not blink an eye to have Bob B. change a compressor, fuel rail, wiring harness, etc. on my Optimax. By the way Bob you are the exception to the rule cause your awsome at what you do and I do not have a Good Merc mechanic in my area.

To give this thread another example I had the lift gate struts go out on my SUV. Took it to the dealer with it about 500 miles out of warranty and they wanted $275 ($150 parts and $125 labor) to change them out. :eek: I looked on Ebay a bought OEM parts for $75 and spent, literally, 8 minutes changing them out and saved the hassel of loosing the everyday driver for a day.

So yes it is agrivating to be charged $95 for one hour of labor when you pay MSRP for a product to be installed but that is the great thing about the country that we live in. We have the freedom to choose who we want to service, or not to service the things we own.:)

By the way Bob, I'd give my left arm for you to open shop up down here in Pensacola.

I'm in the wrong business. I work on aircraft for a living and our shop rates are $75. Most guy have a stroke over our rates. I don't think they are that bad, I mean you can't just pull over and call for a tow like our cars or boats. Local Ford dealership rate is $109 an hour. I agree that I'll pay the price for a good shop to do a job that is our of my league. Problem here is finding a good shop. What gets me is a local car shop that will not let you purchase the parts for a repair and bring them with you. They insist they get the parts. Catch is they get them from a local parts store and charge you dang near double what they cost over the counter. Needless to say, we don't do business anymore. I understand that you can't let the customer bring in a used or inferior part and be liable for it. Just makes no sense on new parts that they buy the same place you can buy.

Latest posts

Back