keel guard

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick armstrong

Reaction score
I have a 1996 tf170 w/90hp,and a 4inch jach plate. I belive the keel guard is hurting my performance/top in speed. I'm using a laser 11 prop with 20 pitch and with out any load 1/2 of tank of gas, I can only get around 44mph/5100rpms on spedo. the prop shaft is about 3 1/2'' below bottom. the keel guard wasn't my idea it was part of the package. If i'm right and its hurting the performance whats the best way to remove it.

P.S. REALLY LIKE THIS SITE AND MY FIRST NITRO

I don't think the keel guard would effect performance. As I take another sip of coffee and think about it, seems to me that part of the boat is up and out of the water when you are running on plane.

I have a 90 hp on my 175 sport. Keep in mind it is not a performance motor. If you ever got above 45 I'd be surprised.

Enjoy your boat for it's intended purpose (fish) and dont stress yourself out about the speed thing.

Dave Sailer

Rick -

Dave is exactly right.

I had a 1995 Nitro 180 (17'6") with a 115 Merc. On a good day, it would just barely hit 50; usually topped out at about 47 mph. I usually cruised at about 40 to 42. Prop was a 24" Laser II.

You've got a great fishing rig exactly the way it is!

Enjoy!

me!

I have a 1995 170tf with a 125 and with the laser II hit about 55 or 60 at the best. I like it for the fishing and not overly worry about the speed thing. Not able to go to fast most of the time on the Potomac anyway it seems.

Carlos

I HAVE A MERC 90HP ON MY NITRO BAY 1800 I GOT 50 ONCE

ALL I GET NOW IS 44-46 IT ALL HAS TO DO WITH THE TRIM. ALSO YOU NEED TO PLAY WITH THE JACKPLATE THE NOT ENOUGH PROP IN THE WATER AND THE WRONG TRIM WILL MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN THE PERFORMANCE. THE MAX RPM FOR THAT MOTOR IS 5500.. PUSH IT TO HARD AND YOU WILL CUT DOWN THE LIFESPAN OF THAT ENGINE.IF YOU WANT A FASTER BOAT GET A BIGGER MOTOR ;-)

Hey Rick,

I have TV-18 with 90 and stock aluminum prop. I get 38 to 40 mph... I think at 44 mph on your boat you're doing just fine. Keep the keel gaurd.

Marke

Thanks to everyone who responded to my message, Yes i have to agree that i need to spend more time thinking about how to catch'em than how fast i can get to them.

GONE FISHING RICK

PS. I may try and raise the jack plate a little!

Hey Rick, I've got a 1994 TF170 w/75 hp. Merc. It will run 46-47 mph. g.p.s. by myself. It's not the keel guard, I have one on my boat and it never touches the water when on plane. Borrow a gps unit from somebody and check again. I think your speedo is off, you should be running a little faster than that.

Latest posts

Back