Jig Bites

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James D.

Reaction score
Been fishing a lot with a 3/8oz jig and pig lately and have had a lot of fun. jigs are really pretty neat to fish with. I went last year and the first part of this year without a bite on one - that I knew of anyways. Now I've caught about 20 largemouth on a jig. I've kind of classified the different types of bites I've noticed and was wondering if any other jig men have had or knew of anyother type of bite. I'm still kind of new at it but getting better at it (thanx for the tips Rob) just wondering what type of bite will be next as it seems to vary from fish to fish.

1) the peck - kind of like a worm bite when you feel a slight peck that you know wasn't a branch or rock or something.

2) the run - you don't feel much at all but notice your line is not where it is supposed to be.

3) thats my rod! - the unmistakable bite from a fish that seems to think he can outwrestle you for your rod! he just slams it and tries to run deep.

4) the wet towel - kindof a mushy just a lot of weight on the line type of feeling.

5) the nothing bite - this bite gives you no warning, peck, run or anything. its like the fish eats your jig and just sits there doing nothing and don't move when you lift up on the rod. I had a 4lber today that did that and I thought I was hung up and actually tried to jiggle the jig free. after doing this enough, i guess i made him mad enough that he moved and I realized I had a fish on. i'm sure glad he didn't let go. makes me wonder how many times I've done that!

Hope it is ok to post this as hopefully everyone's water is not hard anymore!

jd

J.D.-- Try a little clear fingernail polish for those jig bites and they won't itch so bad.

Harpo

Know what the jig feels like with no fish on it

Set the hook on anything that feels different.

Rather snag a log and look foolish than miss a five pouner because I thought it was a twig or weed

I have also taken a recent interest in jig fishing

Latest posts

Back