Stuck ski pylon. 2003 Nitro 288 Sport

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMcCabe

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on removing a ski/tubing pylon that is original equipment for a 288 Sport. It is a large screw-in type aluminum pylon that threads into the back platform. When removed, a riser and fishing seat can be added. I prefer to stand so it hasn't been swapped out in years. I've tried liquid wrench, etc. but can't budge it. I've only tried spinning it by hand so I'm open to any ideas you guys have. One note, the deck is starting to get a bit soft and I can feel it deflecting if I lean on the pole too hard. Thanks in advance.

Identical pylon.
1673886221591.png

If if were mine, I would use a pipe wrench. I would first try some leather or a cloth to protect the aluminum as best as I could. If it was still ceased I would put the pipe wrench directly on the aluminum and sand out the marring on the pole after I got it out.

Also a strap wrench may get it done too. This would be less destructive. One like this.
https://m.northerntool.com/shop/too...GP6xPOCUM2X1axZTbvV8pmz3YWAWtXFsaAq7GEALw_wcB

Good luck. In to see other responses.

I have a newer Nitro and using my pylon is a huge pain. The alignment between the hole in the deck and the receiver down in the hull is off. I did try putting a towel around the pylon and then using a wrench to turn it, but I still managed to give it some deep scratches. My new chosen method is rocking in different directions, and turning and lifting at the same time. It's way easier with 2 people - one rocking, the other turning and lifting.

Sounds like both of us will need to wear full face helmets. I'll give that a shot as well. Thank you.

My brother-in-law had the same problems with his seat pedestal posts. Had to use WD-40 and a pipe wrench to get them out. Now he just leaves them in and removed the seats. Couldn’t convince him to remove the posts at the end of the day. Really bad trip hazard. With the floor a little weak there’s a good chance you will have to replace the flooring. Good luck.

I definitely think the floor will eventually need replaced. Many weak spots that I've "shored up" with cut 4x4 PT posts. It works but obviously not a permanent solution. I'll be back here asking for advice on that project next winter for sure.

My 2021 Targa ski pole would not screw in. I loosened the 4 bolts in the top plate and installed the pole, this aligned the top plate and the bottom threaded portion. Tightened the 4 bolts with the pole in place and now it will screw in and out pretty easily. Lucky I had access to the bolts, you may not be so lucky.

I was able to get it out fairly easily with a strap wrench. Thanks to all here for the advice.

I was able to get it out fairly easily with a strap wrench. Thanks to all here for the advice.

Oh, good idea. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that! If that works I will just buy one and keep it in the boat.

Latest posts

Back