It's Time

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
After sitting in my garage unused for more than two years, save one fishing trip in December 2009, I'm ready to get my boat out again. I know she's going to need some TLC, and I'm looking for answers to a specific question:

The fuel tank (35 gallons) is almost full. I put Sta-Bil in religiously, but after sitting for over a year I'm pretty sure it would be smart to drain that old gas and start with a completely fresh tank. Can most dealerships with service centers do that, or should I be contacting hazardous materials companies for disposal prices?

I'll have my local service center to a complete maintenance workover on the outboard and trim unit. I'll probably replace both the cranking and trolling batteries just because they're old. And I'll have work done on the trailer's wheel assemblies, one of which was throwing grease as I boogied down the road.

Any other recommendations for getting this thing ready for more outings than it's been seeing? What else should I be asking the service center to do?

Here is a suggestion for you. Simply sell it (gasoline) for $2.00/gallon to a lawn care service. I bet they would be happy to get it at that price. Some of the bigger trailers, I have seen 5-6-7 5 Gallon can's on. Setup a simple siphon, and away you go.

Tex

Ok....

-1] Empty and flush the fuel system, be sure to address anti-siphon valve if equipped.

-2] Change the in-line fuel filter and separator if equipped.

-3] Change fuel pump {pulse pump}.

-4] Change water pump impeller

-5] Change fuel lines and primer bulb.

-6] I'd also pull out as much of the 2-cycle oil as you can and start fresh.

Some of this is overkill...but....with the cost the replace a blown powerhead...it's pennies. ;)

Mo....

The old gas, when added at something like 1 gallon of old gas to 5to8 gallons of new will run through your truck without any ill effects. Throw in an ounce or so of SeaFoam (good for the truck regardless) So, if you have several 5/6 gallon gas cans just pump/siphon it out and use it up in the truck.

Bob's advice/checklist is real good. (As expected)

Back