Vortex Cap Cracking

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleBuck

Reaction score
I just bought a new 2021 Z20 on May 19th and have had to replace several Vortex caps. My dealer said that the factory appears to have been over tightening the caps causing them to crack. Well today I was getting ready to go fishing and while checking the caps on my pre- trip inspection I found another one cracked. After removing it I attempted to put a new cap on and after about 3/4 of a turn it cross threaded. I then took a small tool and ran the threads on the hub to see if maybe I missed a piece of the old hub cap. It appears to be ok but it just cross threads the cap. I did find a small sliver of what appears to be the race for the bearings that is partially attached. I read on another post that these hubs are pretty simple to replace. Where would I find the hub if I wanted to do it myself?
I have an appointment Weds morning at a Nitro dealer and I think it should be under warranty but I have an out of state fishing vacation starting 7/15 and if they can’t get to it before then I’ll have to do it myself. So far the boat is great but I’m not impressed with the trailer! Any information would be greatly appreciated.

UncleBuck,
https://www.amazon.com/Tie-Down-Eng...d=1&keywords=vortex+hub&qid=1625659834&sr=8-2
you can get these through Amazon and some other trailer dealers online for around $100 for the entire hub assembly including the caps. I had to get one for my 2017 trailer due to the cracked hub and water intrusion that had damaged the seals I went ahead and replace the entire hub them got parts to repair the damaged one to carry for a spare hub. There are two units- one fits an axle that has the same size shaft inside and out. The other fits the shaft that has the larger race on the back. MIne was the second mentioned here. Easy install- most common mistake is to overtighten the axle nut. YOu can check that proceedure online eaisly.

Chances are the dust covers available from Dexter will not fit. See your dealer as there is a recall bulletin on 2021 dust covers.

Update: I spoke with my dealer and supposedly they are going to metal caps to replace the plastic ones. They were not sure how or when they would be distributed...whether they would be sent to the dealer or if they would be sent to new owners from the factory. Still waiting.....

Update: I spoke with my dealer and supposedly they are going to metal caps to replace the plastic ones. They were not sure how or when they would be distributed...whether they would be sent to the dealer or if they would be sent to new owners from the factory. Still waiting.....
That’s good to know. I have one cap that was cross threaded. Was at Tracker Marine last week for more warranty work on my 2021 Nitro Z 19 Sport and they never mentioned it.

My 2017 Nitro zv18 came with four of these plastic caps of course, 3 of the 4 were cracked by the LOCAL dealer as they must inspect the bearings as part of the sale and hand off to the customer. They over tightened them. I bought Dexter’s from Amazon and they fit fine, 2 pack was like $70 I think.

I can assure you Nitro isn't going to send the end user anything--And you'll be lucky if the dealer even contacts you when they have them in stock BUT just so you know, the metal caps have been out for over a year already!! PN TR353834 Don't bother trying to find them online, a Tracker Marine Center is the only place you'll find them!

I can assure you Nitro isn't going to send the end user anything--And you'll be lucky if the dealer even contacts you when they have them in stock BUT just so you know, the metal caps have been out for over a year already!! PN TR353834 Don't bother trying to find them online, a Tracker Marine Center is the only place you'll find them!
Not necessarily so. When my 2021 Z19 came in my dealer called and said It would take a few days to deliver because two of the plastic covers were cracked. It took a week (stored inside) but they replaced all caps with the aluminum caps. Never an issue. You might want to consider a new dealer.

The Aluminum caps are awesome. Anyone who has plastic caps MUST replace them with these. Sometimes the cracks are not visible until it is TOO LATE.

There is actually a recall on the plastic caps to replace them with metal ones. When I had my trailer in for the spindle nut tightening recall they told me about it. Unfortunately they did not have any metal ones in stock, but added me to the list to get them when they come in. This was at the BPS in Rocklin, CA.

Not necessarily so. When my 2021 Z19 came in my dealer called and said It would take a few days to deliver because two of the plastic covers were cracked. It took a week (stored inside) but they replaced all caps with the aluminum caps. Never an issue. You might want to consider a new dealer.
So what does this have to do with what I said???? They already had your boat/trailer----They did not "Send" you any parts and did not have to contact you telling you they had parts????

There is actually a recall on the plastic caps to replace them with metal ones. When I had my trailer in for the spindle nut tightening recall they told me about it. Unfortunately they did not have any metal ones in stock, but added me to the list to get them when they come in. This was at the BPS in Rocklin, CA.
There is No recall on the plastic caps----If you want them, it's on your dime to replace them unless the trailer is still under warranty (Some dealers may replace them for free).

There is a service bulletin out about replacing the plastic with metal. However, the dealer that did my recall said they could swap them out no charge if you had the cracked ones. Unfortunately, I didn’t keep the broken ones I has already replaced! So I bought and replaced them and they were about $7 each.

I just had all 4 replaced yesterday, had two cracked and it was throwing grease onto the wheels and tires making a mess. Hopefully the new metal caps work better.

I just had all 4 replaced yesterday, had two cracked and it was throwing grease onto the wheels and tires making a mess. Hopefully the new metal caps work better.
You will have zero problems with the aluminum caps. 2 years and zero issues

Latest posts

Back